Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Florida trailer registration laws ?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Florida trailer registration laws ?????

I'm looking at a trailer near my house that is for sale. When I asked about the title, I was told that the seller has just moved up here to Missouri from Florida. He also told me that Florida does not require trailers to be titled or tagged so he does not have a title to sign over. Now, I'm not asking anyone to interpert Missouri laws and tell me what I have to do.... I'm just trying to verify the information given to me about Florida trailer laws.

I will be contacting the License Bureau and the Highway Patrol to see what exactly I'd have to do to make it legal here in Missouri.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't speak to Florida but Oklahoma is that way, got the original Mfg's cert. of origin and a bill of sale (no tags either) had to go to Denver PD auto theft detectives and get a high end VIN check, check all my paper work, my DL, they do a nationwide check (NCIC?) cost $25
Old 09-22-2004, 02:08 AM

The trailer needs a title. If it is home made like mine is, then you need to get a 'certified weight' certificate. If it is less than 2000 pounds, you assign a serial #, pay $25, and it is registered. If it weighs more than 2000 pounds, you need the receipts for material used, how it was built, and get it inspected by DOT. They will then issue a VIN for the trailer. Then you get it registered. The only trailer not requiring a tag is a car dolly and even then, the car on the dolly must be tagged.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:45 AM

Well, something doesn't smell right here. I looked all over the trialer and cannot find a manufacturer's data plaque with capacity, VIN, etc. so I assumed it as probably a home built. When I asked about that, I was told that it was purchased from a trailer mfg. in Florida... hmmm... ok I know those plaques can fall off over time.... mine did. I couldn't find anything with a VIN on it anywhere on the trailer. That's when I was told that Florida doesn't require registration or tags on trailers, so he doesn't have a title to sign over.

Can you elborate a little more on just what "how it was built" means? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:23 AM

...also, by "weighs less than 2000#" do you mean actual weight of trailer or it's rated capacity? I assuming it rated capacity, but just want to be sure.

I called the Missouri DMV and they checked the Florida info and came back with basically what you've said. Under 2000# does not need to be registered... over 2000# does. Basically, to get it titled in Missouri, it needs to have an existing title OR mfg statement of origin. If it's homebuilt, then all the receipts, etc. need to be presented. If it comes from a state that doesn't require registration, then an affidavit from that state's DMV and a bill of sale is needed.

Other than that, the only way to get it titled without an existing title is to hire an attourney, go before a judge and get the judge to order the State of Missouri to issue a title. Yeah, right... like I'm gonna jump through all those hoops. They'd have to GIVE me the trailer in order for that to happen.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:50 AM

RUN, RUN HARD. firestorm is correct in what he told you. Florida does have titles and taggs. PUT THE TRAILER DOWN AND RUN AWAY.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:30 PM

First thing, 'under 2000 pounds', is the empty weight of the trailer.
Second, example: 2x6x1/4 tubular steel, migged, with tandom 3500 pound axles, 4" channel steel for the cross supports with 3' spacing. You get the point.
Third, they all need a tag/registration, but under 2k is not issued a VIN given by the state vurses a serial # given by the manufacturer. For example, the serial # on mine is BARON1,and is welded into the tongue.
Like JAXFL1 said, RUN.
Hope this helps
Old 09-22-2004, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys.... but "RUN HARD"?? At my age, any running is hard. I can still muster a fairly brisk mosey... but running is out. Besides, the @%$# thing isn't going to blow up or bite me so I see no need to run

I will walk away from it though..... unless or until they can produce the proper documents. Thanks again....
Old 09-23-2004, 02:21 AM

Just what kind of trailer was this that you were looking at. My 18 foot car tandem axle ( 3500 ) wood bed, steel dovetail with winch on the front weighs 2300 lbs.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:25 AM

Never mind, I just read your other post. I would pass unless it were free, with documentation.