Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

First Time Camping, Rented a Travel Trailer HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a great time Dan!

The first time is usually always the hardest as there is quite a bit to learn. None of it is really difficult though. Remember too, that if you buy your own Travel Trailer and set it all up like you want....it will make future trips alot easier with less loading etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about you guys but i'd sure like a report of how his first trip went.
There's something about a lawn chair that make's the worrys go away and a cold beer helps too
Old 07-30-2007, 09:47 AM

Made it back, and it went off without a hitch.
When I first started out, I was a little upset about the size of the smaller travel trailer, however upon pulling into the campground, and driving to the very back, away from all the people I was quite pleased. The roads were just littered with tight trees, in fact we shouldn't have been back there. My buddy had a 26' and he was constantly on the trees with it. He did a little damage to the rear quarter panel, and alot of scratches. The smaller trailer had some close calls, but no damage, and alot easier to manuver into a good spot.
We dry camped, which was quite easy as the unit had all the meters. I just started the Cummins up and let it run for 20 minutes. This kept the batts charged up. I didn't have to deal with the black/grey water as the rental place takes care of all that for me.
Camping was great, but the hilight of the trip was when my 17 week old German Shepherd followed me into the lake for the first time in his life. I knew he liked water, as he chases the hose spray around my yard as if it's his purpose in life. He followed me out into the lake, and went to swimming like he was born in the water. There wasn't any type of learning curve, he just swam.
Thanks for all the help, it all came in very useful and we had a great time,
DK
Old 07-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Moose10
Looking at your sig, what kind of sleds do you have? maybe we can hook up this winter in your neck of the woods....not much good ridin' here in the Black Hills...we're used to ridin' in AK.
I run all over the place during winter, anywhere from here in NV/CA up into Montana.
I have an 800 RMK 156" as a stocker (backup sled), and had my last mod sled built in ID at www.RacinStation.biz who did a custom 162" M-chassis with a big bore 800 motor (175hp at 8100 rpm). I just bought an 07 M8 which is sitting in my garage right now. I pulled the jugs and head and sent them to UT www.2strokeheads.com to have a port/head job done, and my Father snowchecked a 2008 M8 of which we'll tear down the motor before it touches snow, and run a custom drop in piston/head kit designed by this same engine builder.
If you want to hook up give me a shout once the snow starts flying, I ride more than I work during the winter.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

Go to Walmart and buy a collapsable water holder. It will hold 5 gals of water, but it will collapse very small. I use this alot, everytime I run by a water spigot, I fill it up and dump it in the tank. They are under $10.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 PM
TAS

Glad to hear that your first trip went well. I love to camp and plan to go this weekend in my pop-up w/ the kids.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:04 PM

Sounds like you had a great time.

We started camping when friends gave us an old 18' travel trailer. At the time I had a Toyota Tacoma and knew that I couldn't pull it up the steep grades in Colorado so I bought the Dodge. Now I love camping and towing.