Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

First Time Camping, Rented a Travel Trailer HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Camping, Rented a Travel Trailer HELP

Well,
After many years of people telling us we should try camping, I decided to surprise my wife and rented a travel trailer for the weekend.
I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and we'll be off later in the afternoon. Our driving distance is only 100 miles so a 21' travel trailer and the old 3500 will be of no concern.
I guess I'm posting to get some info on what I should expect when I arrive at the campground?
Whats the difference between full hookup, dry camping? Does the truck itself run the appliances, or do I need to use the generator all day such as for the fridge, water, lights. (they charge $5 an hr after 5 hrs of geni use per day) Do I fill the water tanks before I leave or when I arrive in the camp ground? I'll be pulling in early evening so I won't want to mess around too much. Can we use the shower in the unit? I think they give me 1 propane tank, and another empty one to fill up. How much will I need for 2 days of activity.
I've got a list of all my supplies/food/bedding/lights/ritas and beer.
Tell me what a seasoned RV'er brings to make life easier, something that I wouldn't even think of.

Let me have it!!!!
thanks
DK
Old 07-26-2007, 08:17 PM

If they give you a full bottle of propane then you'll have plenty for 2 days.
That will run the refigerator and water heater. If they have a power hook up that will run the lights and the refigerator if you turn it to the electric setting.
The lights will also run off the 12V battery that "should" also be on the trailer.
If you get a space with hookup, it should have a hose outlet as well as the electric. If the spot does not have these hookups, fill up the tanks when you get to the camping area, there is always a place to stop and fill up before you pull into your camping space.
If you dry camp (NO HOOKUP) fill your water tank and you'll be running off the 12v battery for all the lights, so if thats the case pay attention and don't run them if you don't need them. Most trailers in the 23ft range carry about 50 gals of water, maybe more. You can shower in the trailer but just remember you have limited water so get wet-soap up-and rinse off.
Ask the rental place to show you how to fill the water tank, how and where is the water pump switch, how to start the water heat, and how to work the refrigerator, and do you dump the tanks before bringing it back or is that part of the rental package, if it's not, make sure they give you the proper hose to dump the tanks at the dump site on your way out of the camp grounds.
It's all pretty simple once you get things figured out.
If you've never been in a camping area and have'nt pulled alot of trailers, take your time, go slow and make sure of your surrounding areas. (tree limbs, poles etc.)
It's not hard at all, just take your time, and enjoy it. Me and my wife love camping so much thats all we want to do. If you really give it a chance I bet you'll have your own trailer in no time.

Good Luck and have fun.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:30 PM

Thanks good advice, enjoy the time away, think positive and don't get aggrevated about the small stuff. Take some chairs build a small camp fire (if allowed) sit back and stare into the fire, you'll forget about problems at home.

Enjoy!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:19 AM

Very good advice,
I thought that the fridge was electric, as-well-as the water heater, and I'd have to run the geni or my battery to keep it all going. (glad I asked)
Should I bring my battery charger and throw it on the 12v batt with the generator to keep a good charge? I have the high idle feature enabled on my truck, will this high idle be enough for the alt to charge my truck batteries?
thanks again,
DK
Old 07-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are going to a campground with full hook-ups, you shouldn't even need the generator at all or a battery charger. Your truck should keep the battery on the TT charged up while going down the road. Once you are in the campground and hooked up to electric the onboard inverter will keep the battery charged then too.

All you can run with the battery on the camper is lights and the water pump. No A/C or TV or microwave etc.

Like already mentioned...."Dry Camping" aka as "Boondocking" is camping without hookups. In that case you will need your water storage tanks to be full and a generator for electricity. I do quite a bit of boondocking when I go ATVing. Either way is fun and still gets you away from the city.

When you check out your trailer with the rental place, im sure they will go over everything with you.........so just listen closely. On this first trip just allow plenty of time, more than you think you need, for everything related to the operation of the camper. There is absolutely no substitute for experience. But once you experience it.....you will love it!

You might also go to www.rv.net and look around. They have a forum for newbies that you might find useful. Great website, but I wind up spending all of my free time over here.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i love camping as long a sits in a camper with A/C
Old 07-27-2007, 05:36 AM

Make sure you determine that you are provided with a fresh water hose (white), and a sewer hose (larger, accordian type). Make sure you have disposable rubber gloves for the sewer hose. In your set up, when you get to sewer, take the cap of the sewer pipe at the campground, connect one end of your sewer hose to that and the other to the appropriate valve (large & black) on the trailer. DO NOT OPEN THE VALVE ON THE TRAILER until the line is connected, and DO NOT LEAVE the valve open - you'll get odor and (perhaps) other "things" in the trailer. You use the toilet, it fills the tank, you then dump the tank.

Make sure you have your disposable supplies (TP, paper towel, food storage, cups, utensils). Many campgrounds have a store for incidentals. Don't forget sunblock and insect repellent, if appropriate to where you'll be. Also a small first aid kit.

Some sites are "pull through" (IE - no backing). Others are back in. You'll want a 30 amp travel trailer site - try for a level and dry one (if an option). First you position the trailer, then you unhook and level, (or if leaving your tow veh connected support the rear of the trailer). Once "set", you make your electrical cord, fresh water and sewer connections. Obviously, when ready to depart, you reverse the order....too mnay have driven off with something still connected !

Best of luck and enjoy the great outdoors !
Old 07-27-2007, 05:57 AM

you guys got him covered.....the truck battery does not run the camper! i think they covered that too.

Have a great time...We camp at 16 race's a year its great....exsept 3(me and the 2 boys) of us race so My girl has her hands full...She wants me to take her to the beach for a week long camping trip. not racing trip with a camper!

I think you will LOVE it!!! enjoy and let us know how it went...??
Old 07-27-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more thing that I didn't see mentioned is if you fill up your water tanks at the campground, be sure to use fresh water. At the campgrounds around here, the water is at the dump station and there are two water hoses, one for fresh water and one to rinse your black tank. Usually they are marked "potable water". Have fun and start saving because I see a travel trailer in your future.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:53 AM

Alot of advice, thanks.
We're pulling out this afternoon, I'll give an update Monday evening.
Dan
Old 07-27-2007, 09:25 AM
TAS

You're gonna have fun. I'll be camping next w/e w/ my pop up. Can't wait.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dan_K
Alot of advice, thanks.
We're pulling out this afternoon, I'll give an update Monday evening.
Dan
Dan, enjoy your first trip out. I think too that everybody has covered everything. I can't think of anything else offhand.
We go camping every chance we get....summer or winter.
Looking at your sig, what kind of sleds do you have? maybe we can hook up this winter in your neck of the woods....not much good ridin' here in the Black Hills...we're used to ridin' in AK.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:43 PM

One thing nobody covered: If you have trouble ask your camping neighbor! People in the campground are always willing to lend a hand.

Have fun!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Dan,relax you won't do anything that has not already been done.You have been given excellent advice,take a breath,drive safe,come home happy and post about the trip.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:19 PM
TAS

One of my favorite activities around a campground is watching people pull in and get set up. I need to start bringing a vid camera. There's a chance I could make some coin. Lord knows I've contributed to the laughs of others. Good luck and have fun!

Quick Reply: First Time Camping, Rented a Travel Trailer HELP