Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

First Post: B&W turnover ball hitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post: B&W turnover ball hitch

Hey all!! this is my first post, I just purchased an 07 5.9l ctd 3500 quad cab short box. Yes I did know about the 6.7l but a decided to stick with 5.9 since it's been out since 88 or 89, and it's my second one.
I had a highjacker gooseneck ball hitch in my 97 ctd and was just wondering what the best gooseneck ball hitch is now. I been looking at the B&W turnover ball hitch.
Any input would be great thax.
Oh ya I'm hauling a 20' gooseneck horsetrailer.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 PM

I have the 'B+W turnover ball'..pull the pin in the driverside wheel well. flip it over ...I LOVE IT
Old 02-06-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Second, enjoy the new truck.

I have a B&W that I mainly use with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. I think it's a quite well built and sturdy unit and if you need a goose ball that's removeable, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

If you install yourself, just be sure to double (or tripple) check the measurement before you cut that 4" hole. I also found that I needed to use a dremel tool to drill a pilot hole from underneath for the safety chain ancors on the passenger side, because I couldn't get around the tailpipe with a big drill. Lastly, I'd recommend having some primer on hand to protect the sheet metal where you have to drill/cut, and also I'd use high strength (red) locktite on everything for added security...

I think I have a couple of photos of their hitch in my gallery...

Jeff
Old 02-06-2007, 03:33 PM

Love my B&W! Best part is it utilizes holes that are already in the farm so the only drilling and cutting required is in the center of the bed for the ball and tow hooks to come through. Also max load on it is 30,000 compared to compeitors 25,000.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:50 PM

Congrats on the new purchase, I have the B&W also and like many others on here I am happy with it. I would have installed it myself had I known it was that easy.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:48 PM
RAF

Welcome.

I have the B&W also and did the install my self. Like it alot. When I tow the backhoe around I use a 26' 12 ton GN. Haven't had any problems and yes I like the idea of having nothing sticking up in the bed when not in use.

Trailer 6,000lbs.
Backhoe about 10,000lbs.

The Companion is coming later. That was the second reason I bought it.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:54 PM

Hi, and again WELCOME. I looked around awhile too before deciding on the Cody Hitch http://www.codyhitch.com/ It's simple to install and can also be installed with no drilling. I like it because there is no "lever" to pull, it just inserts and locks with a twist. There are quite a few of my rodeo buddys that use this hitch also and nothing but good compliments from 'em. Take Care and enjoy your new CTD!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:18 PM

B & W turnover. I got quoted on this today for $500 installed. What does everyone think
Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
RAF

http://turnoverballhitch.com/

I guess if you want some one to install it. I would ask how long it takes to install. I did mine in about 3hrs. (double and triple checking everything) At the price you can buy it. That would make the install by me $50.00 an hr. They should be able to install faster than I could.

Any way the install is pretty straight forward. The biggest thing after the double and triple checking for the hole location in the bed would be some way of lifting holding the center piece in place. I used a engine hoist with a chain and shackle to hold it.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RAF
http://turnoverballhitch.com/

I guess if you want some one to install it. I would ask how long it takes to install. I did mine in about 3hrs. (double and triple checking everything) At the price you can buy it. That would make the install by me $50.00 an hr. They should be able to install faster than I could.

Any way the install is pretty straight forward. The biggest thing after the double and triple checking for the hole location in the bed would be some way of lifting holding the center piece in place. I used a engine hoist with a chain and shackle to hold it.
I got quoted $749 cdn said it would take 3 hours with two guys. Maybe I should shop around abit more.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

thanks for the warm welcome and all the input keep it coming!!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:59 PM

i got a hide a way hitch in my truck and love it. u can slide in plywood or haul furniture in ur bed with havin to deal with that ball making everything stick up.. would highly recommend it to anyone.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by avdunn
B & W turnover. I got quoted on this today for $500 installed. What does everyone think
Is that U.S. or CDN? I got quoted $749 CDN installed.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:09 PM

My Cody Hitch was $250 off ebay, and me and my buddy installed it in about an hour and a half. It also turns over so you can use your bed without a ball sticking up.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my B&W Turnover ball for $375 and a budie and I installled it in abought an hour and a half. Only used it a couple times in the last 10 months Ive had it but I like its ease of install and the fact that it leaves the bed completey flush when not in use.

Quick Reply: First Post: B&W turnover ball hitch