Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Firestone Ride Rite with Dual Electric Air Command II installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone Ride Rite with Dual Electric Air Command II installation

Just wanted to provide some lessons learned from my installation. When I installed the air bags I needed to grind a bit off the bracket supplied by Firestone that mounts the base of the bag. I ground where the bracket fits around the "U" bolt for the leaf spring. I mounted the compressor on top of the transmission cross bar (at the rear of the transmission) on the drivers side there is a lot of space. I put an aluminum plate in front of the compressor to somewhat protect it from debris from the tires and road. I mounted the Gauge/control unit directly under the steering wheel on the plastic that has the release lever for the steering wheel height adjustment **** on one side and the ignition key on the other. I ran the 3 hoses and 2 control wires thru the slot just below the plastic just described and the top of the plastic that forms the bottom of the dash. I ran the 3 hoses and 2 wires thru the firewall thru an existing two inch dia hole pluged with a plastic plug with a 6" tail extending into the engine compartment that is 5" below and 5" toward the drivers side from where the steering tube comes thru the firewall. I found it to be very difficult to put the 1/4" tube supplied by Firestone onto the three positions on the rear of the Gauge/control unit supplied by Firestone. I ended up going down to a dealer who installs Ride Rite and purchasing 3 coupleings with the collar you push to make the connection (the same style connector supplied by firestone for installing the tubes on the top of the bags). I then pushed the tubes onto the Gauge/control unit while the unit was out of the truck and next to my boiling water. Just heat up 1/2" of the end of the tube (I cut three 18" long tubes)like the directions state so you have less chance of kinking the tube when installing and wiggle the tube back and forth while pushing for all your worth. I was able to get them all on all the way using this method. Also a little vasoline or liquid soap helps. I then had 3 eighteen inch pigtails and 2 wires that I fed thru the slot below the steering wheel described above and made the 3 tubing connections under the dash using the push to connect couplings previously described. Hope this helps someone. If you got any more questions, ask here.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Why'd you have to grind the bracket?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:48 PM

Sundaymoney: The Brkt wouldn't fit between the "U" bolt without grinding it just a little. Did you install one?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by johnr9q
Sundaymoney: The Brkt wouldn't fit between the "U" bolt without grinding it just a little. Did you install one?
Yep,installed them on my truck last Spring.

It was a snug fit,but slid right into place.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the Firestone bags on my truck. I did not have to grind but I did have to tap them in place. Real tight fit.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Correction

Wanted to make a correction to the original post. Placing the gauges where I indicated is not a good idea. When I installed the gauges the sterring wheel was positioned such that I had a clear view of the gauges but when you are actually driving the sterring wheel doesn't allow you to see them. also I hit my knee on them a bit. I have a six speed manuel so I mounted them in the blank panel behind the gear shift. Vehicles other than 6 speeds have a big sup holder that folds down from there so you can't do what I did. I was able to give a guy at the dealership 20$ to show me how to remove the panel. If you want to know, email me at johnr9q@yahoo.com and I'll post here.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Had to grind the brackets on my Ride-Rites! I think the Pacbrake bracket just looks to be of better quality.