Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Finaly have a trailer to justify the Cummins.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finaly have a trailer to justify the Cummins.

I still am not convinced it was a good idea but I finaly gave in and bought a toy hauler. Its not the biggest around but it is functionaly perfect for what I need/want. I got a new Cherokee Wolf Pack. A 26 footer. It looks a lot bigger than a 26 footer for some reason. Maybe because its extra tall or something. The wife and I went to Sioux Falls, SD last weekend and looked at al of them on the lots up there and decided we liked this one best. There was a fifth wheel version of what we got sitting rite next to it with the same flore plan but decided the bumper mount would leave the box open to put the rack on if we needed more machines along than what would fit in the trailer. Plus it was $5K cheaper. We dident decide to get it that day and told them we would think abought it over the rest of the weekend and get back to them monday. Monday I had the wife call them and arange financing but told her not to tell them we would take it yet, we still needed more time to think abought it. That nite we(me) decided we should just wate a while. She was upset but agreed we should shop around while longer or just push it off all together till the truck was paid for. She dident want to call them and tell them we were going to pass on it so she made me do it. When i called I dident do as we had agreed though. I told them we wanted it and to get it ready. I then had them call the house phone and leave a message saying it was sold but we could order a new one if we wanted. They did and when I got home the wife told me to listen to the message and was disapointed we let it slip threw our fingers. Now friday I have the afternoon off work and am going to go get it and have it in the driveway when she gets home. She should be happy as all get out when she sees it. If I can get home in time I may try to catch her at work with it. She has a window at her desk that overlooks the parking lot so I will just pull in and call her and tell her to look out the window if she hasent already seen me and come bouncing out the front dore.

It looks just like this only 4 feet shorter. Exactly the same except the front bed is turned sideways, and the rear electric bed is just a bed not a dinet and bed in one.
http://www.rvusa.com/rvinventory_item.asp?id=261820
Old 06-21-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool

I would like to get a toy hauler, but I want it to be a fifth wheel. With my short box, I'm not sure I like the idea of a fifth wheel without having a sliding 5th wheel hitch. I have a B/W GN hitch and while they do make a 5th wheel adapter, it is not a slider. Now I would need a new truck to comfortably tow a toy hauler. Might as well get a dually while I am at it. Now I am looking at $85k for the whole setup. My wife just when I bring up the subject.

(and you don't have to have a reason to justify the Cummins, we all understand here)

~Rob
Old 06-21-2006, 09:05 PM

Thumbs up Congrats on the New Toy

Welcome to the family of toys. You did a good thing for the wifey. that was funny I don't CARE hoo ya are. We went and got a bigger one this year. We went from Chesapeake Va. to almost Cal. last year 10K miles in a 18' toy it was not big enough for the four of us my family and toys. We went to a 28' Tran port by Thor Cal. Fiberglas sides and a rubber roof and love it. Plenty of room for all of us and Friends and toys. May I suggest the prodigy brake controller and have had a lot of them (other brands) but I love this one the best you set and never go back to it. The dodge love road trips too. Hope we see you some time on a road trip MilesPH.
Congrats on the new Toy
Old 06-21-2006, 10:07 PM

Hotdram-- I originaly thought the same as you but finaly just got the bumper hitch. I have the same B&W turnover ball and have played with the exact same ideas you are contomplating but in the end I got a bumper hitch. I was dead set on a fifth wheel then converting it to a GN but the hole turning thing had me nervouse. I played with the idea till I finaly gave up and got the trailer I did. I couldent come up with enough extensions/adapters to make it work like I wanted. I did not want to learn the hard way how far i could turn.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Chapter President

congrats on the new tow. We absolutely love our Sierra Sport but we had to have the 5vr. No other way as far as we could see. Now that I have it though sometimes i miss the box of the truck.
tom
Old 06-22-2006, 01:19 PM

Congrats on the new TH, you guys will have to come out here to the Black Hills sometime and we'll take you to an awesome remote Forest Service campground to spend a couple days and go riding.
We love ours too, but went with the 5er style instead....what an increase in space over our last camper....an 11ft slide in
oh, also I've found that the bed of the truck is still quite usefull for hauling firewood, fuel, and pretty much anything else while hitched up, except for another quad of course.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:02 PM

Moose10- We will definatly do that. As a matter of fact we just got back from Deadwood 4-5 weeks ago. We stayed at Wild Bills south of town and rode for a few days from there. We took a freinds pop-up so we had to stay at a full service campgrounds but now anything, anywhere big enough to park it is good for us. I actualy would prefure to avoid paying for campsites if posible so your suggestion sounds good to me. The camper has 110 gallons of fresh watter so we should be good to go for a long time on our own. That and the 3500 watt inverter/generator they threw in and the 32 gallon on board fuel station. I should be set to be a hermit for a long time. No need for civilization, just the way i like it.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:19 AM

I too just bought a Wildwood toy hauler 5er. I already had the removeable gooseneck hitch. I thought about converting the 5er to gooseneck, but decided on the b&w companion hitch (fifthwheel hitch that hook onto exisiting gooseneck setup). It is easy to remove and I have a flat bed when it is removed. At the time I had a short box chevy and never had any problem. You have to watch it when backing and turning, but I could still turn sharp. The Chevy had to go, it had a 454 gas sucker. So my T.H. justified my CTD also!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We're looking for a toyhauler too. Problem is that we need it in a car trailer configuration as we would use it to haul the race car. Vintage and ATC seem to be finally coming out with trailers set up for this. Spendy though...
Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 AM

J Body- I have posted this on here. I was originaly going to get one like you need. There is a place 20 minutes from here that carys the Campmaster and Work and Play brands and has a HUGE selection. I dont know if you want a gossneck or bumper mount but either wya they probobly have what you want. I was just buy there the other day and I bet they have around 50 units on hand. Suprisingly the bigger(38 foot) goosneck units with slid outs are only around 27K. The samller ones are a lot cheaper. The smallest bumper mount(20ft) is around 7-8K. I almost went that rout but decided this trailer fit our needs better.
http://www.trailersforsale.com/

Now for the "rest of the story". As I had said before I planned to have the trailer home buy time my wife got off work to suprise her. I was not going to make that happen but luckily she stopped buy her parrents house on her way home and lost track of time. I was an hour+ latter than I wanted to be. I made it home abought 5 minutes before she did so it all worked out. She came around the corner and stopped in the middle of the road and just sat there in aww. She then pulled into the driveway and got out of her car crying like a baby(happy tears). Needles to say she is excited as all get out. She is like a little kid with a new toy. She stayed up late into the nite planning everything she wants to do to the camper to get it ready for our trips. More latter with some pics if I can figure out how to get them small enough to upload here.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great link...... and I was in the neighborhood last year when we raced at Thunder Valley. From the inventory it looks like it might have been worth the drive to go and look. I like the Campmaster that doesn't have the divider wall. Keeps the total length down some. If I go too big I'm going to wish I had my 4.10 gears back!!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:39 PM

Here is a link (or at least an attempt at a link) to some pics of my new toy along with some cool pics of one of last years 2 ATV trips to Colorado and this springs ATV trip to the Black Hills.
I cant figure out how to make the link go to the public section so if it gives ya editing options please leave it alone. If any one knows how to direct me in fixing the link in such a fasion please help me. I just set up the Yahoo pics site and have no idea how to mess with it yet. I also dont have any comments buy any of the pics yet so be patiant I will add them as I get time.
For those that are curiouse the Colorado pics are in Taylor Park.
http://photos.yahoo.com/brandonkrukow
Old 06-30-2006, 12:44 AM

pics worked good. congrats on the new rig.