Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Federal Motor Carrier Laws, do they apply?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Federal Motor Carrier Laws, do they apply?

I am in the process of buying a bigger trailer to haul junk cars with, we have collected literally tons of old cars over the years, and I want to start transporting them to the shredder. Since the shredder is in another state, does this create any problems? I also see that the new FMCR now mandate the use of a mesh or screen to contain falling parts. Do I fall under those same laws?

I am looking to do this on a personal level, non business.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
I can't see how what you are doing could be considered anything but commercial.

I assume you are selling the junk cars for monetary gain.

You might slip by; but,if ,or when, you get caught, it will take a lot of scrap-metal to pay you out.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya better check into it. some of the new laws I"ve heard of, if you will make money at it, you are considered commercial...even if it is for turning in scrap metal.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by csramsey640
the new FMCR now mandate the use of a mesh or screen to contain falling parts. Do I fall under those same laws? I am looking to do this on a personal level, non business.
*MOST* of the motor carrier and DOT rules/laws will apply to you whether you are engaged in commercial or private operations. When a loose brake drum (for example) falls off your trailer without the mesh screen to contain it, the people it hits will be just as injured as they would be if you were a commercial carrier.

chaikwa.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM

Esentially if your pulling a trailer, obviously in your case an open car trailer, or flatbed trailer, DOT has everyright to pull you into a scale. You are also bound by the FMCSR for your equipment, such as chains, and binders. If your hauling cars that are obviously demolished and a fender has a good chance of falling off, I would get in contact with DOT and ask them that question specifically. But if your doing it 1 or 2 vehicles at a time, just make sure both your chains (straps) and binders are rated the minimum of the weight of the vehicle. So if you have a chain rated at say 5000, and a binder rated for 3000 and the vehicle weighs 4000, youve exceeded the max rating for the binders holding capabilities. DOT will fine you for this! This is new as of 04 I believe. You must have the cargo 4 corner tied down.

However I wouldnt be too awful concerned about it unless your stacking them things on top of each other, or it just straight up looks like a crappy tiedown job! Just use at least 2 chains or straps per vehicle, attached to the vehicle somehow, and both sides of the trailer.

Where bouts in PA are you located anyhow?
Old 04-21-2006, 06:15 PM

OK so say I go the commercial route, I have heard that I will need liability in case something falls off and causes damage, so would this be seperate from my vehicle insurance? I have heard there is a big line between a sign on the vehicle, and none at all. I dont plan to have any.

Can commercial liability be used to override automobile insurance, such as if I cause any damage, can that be used instead? I know ill still need both