Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Exhaust Brakes ? are they all operated by vacuum ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Brakes ? are they all operated by vacuum ?

I'm thinking about doing the exhaust brake install myself. It looks like all kits are "vacuum-operated". Is that correct ? Why ? Seems to me like an on/off electrical switch would be much simpler.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:33 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NO.

The PacBrake PRXB is air operated and considered by many to be superior to the Jacobs. From what I read, the vacuum operated pump is VERY expensive to replace, not to mention it is constantly running as the motor runs.

Pacbrake comes with the on-board compressor, tank and a coil type air line. (cool for filling tires, air horns, etc).

When I am less broke, that is the one I WILL be getting. They run right around $1,000 with all required parts to install. Dealer can put them on for around $240-$300, but from what I hear it's very do-able for the average wrencher.

Look Here: http://www.pacbrake.com/

Last edited by P.J; 01-15-2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 01-15-2007, 02:35 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BTW, the switch itself is a simple electric one in both models.

Do a search, the PacBrake seems to me to the one to go with.

Very few people mention failures.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:27 PM

For what it is worth, the Jacobs will not affect your warranty and is endorsed by DC. It cost less. I have not heard of any complaints, but I have not looked.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM

I've got the BD model. I like it and it works with a compressor. You can see pics of it in my gallery.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:19 PM

I like my PacBrake, I figured it was doing something for me when I made my first brake change - 72K.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 PM
tcb

us gear makes an all electric model, that is the one i am just about ready to install. they seem to be very popular with the motorhome crowd as location can be just about anywhere.
tim
Old 01-16-2007, 02:49 AM

I went with the Jacobs exhaust brake because it is DC warranty friendly; however, I figure by this time next year, I'll be over the basic 36000 mile limit.

If I had to do it again, I would probably go with Pacbrake. It does look like it works better and it is very handy having a tank of compressed air on the truck.

Tony
Old 01-16-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at the parts list for Jacobs you can put a pneumatic cylinder on it, if you have air on the truck already.

Tony
Old 01-16-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by tcb
us gear makes an all electric model, that is the one i am just about ready to install. they seem to be very popular with the motorhome crowd as location can be just about anywhere.
tim
Tim,

Did you buy the D-Celerator yet? If so where did you get it? This is the one I think I'm going to do also, but based on MSRP I think it's the most expensive of them all.

Once you get it installed please post your impressions. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 PM

Have, and love, the Pac Brake PXRB. Photos in my gallery.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:26 AM

IMO, the guys with the 05 autos are getting left out in regards to the choice of brakes.
DC says they have one. I asked the dealer about it but they wont install it because of a glitch in the electrical of it.
Id like to get one on my 05 with the 4 spd auto but havent found one that wouldnt affect the warrenty.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:06 PM

I have had a Jake on my 06 Megacab since new. Works perfectly and doesn't effect my extended warranty. As a matter of fact it is covered under my factory extended warranty for its duration. For onboard air I have an Oasis electric compressor, tank, and manifold mounted on the truck's frame. With this setup I truely have enough air pressure and volume to run pnuematic tools or air up the largest of commercial tires to whatever pressure necessary in a reasonable amount of time. The same can't be said for the air compressors being talked about that come stock with the other exhaust brakes. Yes, they are better than nothing but not much.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Pac

I've gotta pac brake. Haven't towed with it yet but I sure like it for the quick warm ups. The braking with it is impressive empty. Go for it.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by qmcdt
I've gotta pac brake... The braking with it is impressive empty. Go for it.
Me too, but I've gotta say the braking is impressive with a load coming down a hill also.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Brakes ? are they all operated by vacuum ?