Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

eliminate heat exchanger ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eliminate heat exchanger ???

With the hot weather & post count going up on hot tranies , I thought about how much is this really needed ?
If needed in cold weather , then how about a bypass valve for hot weather ?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:22 PM

I think the oil to water cooler is more efficient than oil to air.

I used an oil to water cooler on my Chevy to cool engine oil. Made all the difference.

Increase capacity and add a larger oil to air cooler with a fan.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
I think the oil to water cooler is more efficient than oil to air.

I used an oil to water cooler on my Chevy to cool engine oil. Made all the difference.

Increase capacity and add a larger oil to air cooler with a fan.
Liquid-liquid heat exchangers are ALWAYS more efficient than air-liquid!

When I worked in an RF lab, they wanted to expand RF load capacity. They originally used 2kw air cooled loads. The building was already using chilled water for HVAC, so we purchased 10kw water cooled loads. The air cooled loads were ~24" L x 6" W x 18" H; the water cooled loads were ~12" L x 3" Dia. Air cooled load used ~2600 cu-in of space; Water cooled used ~84 cu-in.

The downside to using a liq-liq hx on the truck is that you'd probably have to upsize the radiator a little to increase heat capacity.

HTH

Tony
Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 AM

I think you guys missed the point , putting eng heat into trans at a time when we are trying to cool the trans , I plan on a Goerand trans when $$$ are there .
So I am not worried about making adjustments for dodges lack of trans .
, just keeping the good trans cool .
Old 06-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John Faughn
I think you guys missed the point , putting eng heat into trans at a time when we are trying to cool the trans , I plan on a Goerand trans when $$$ are there .
Normally though, the trans temp is higher than coolant temp if I remember right so it still is cooling. I know I ran that 89 of mine 140000 miles with just the stock cooler and did stuff that that truck should never have done and never went into the tranny in ten years.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM

I use the stock setup with wetting agent (redline) in the antifreeze and have a 10" Derale fan mounted on the air cooler up front on a cabin switch. I tow 12K plus all the time in heat and have not had any problems so far. Had to do a cool down one time on the Grapevine last year in the middle of the bad heat wave we had then, but that's it. Seems to work well for me. I do have a modded TC and valve body that also helps, less slip means less heat.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by John Faughn
Wrong.....you are not putting engine heat into the trans oil, UNLESS the cooling system can't keep up w/ the engines heat output.

Since the engine has a thermostat, normally the coolant flowing through the cooler and radiator will be 30-50* cooler than engine temp.

After installing the oil to water cooler on my Chevy, oil temp in the pan was always cooler that engine coolant temp. Explain that?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 AM

I tow on a rare occasion and drive conservatively , and watch my gauges , so its just an observation , that I do see my trans making as much heat as my eng , there for having them connected , means that eng heat is going into the trans fluid , and thats not considering stacking all those rads on top of each other [ some to be relocated in future ] .