Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Dually valve stem extension's

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dually valve stem extension's

I've did a search and seen several differant set's available. What I'm after is something that mount's solid so I don't push in, or bend the stem. By using a junk truck stop air chuck, I managed to push the stem in the wheel. I thought I was screwed, out in the middle of no where. So I just pulled it back out with plier's.

Also, by using these, does it make your tire's out of balance. I would have to think so. But maybe it doesn't matter on the back. So what are you guy's using. Pro's and con's. A link would be great.

Here's what I've found so far.

http://genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AP4
http://genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AP3

http://www.awdirect.com/finditem.cfm?itemid=19289

http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~tire-man/kit3.html
Old 01-28-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good questions. I will interested in any replies. Duallies really suck airing up the rears.

On the Tire-Man kit I'm not sure how you install a new stem without dismounting the tire?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a 1 1/4" metal extensions on the outside wheels and no extension on the inside. I found a dual inflator that is straight on the end (for the inside) and the back one is angled for the outside wheel. Craig
Old 01-28-2008, 11:45 PM

I paid about $80 dollars for a set but you have to have the tires dismounted to install them. The inside dual valve stem is brass so you can bend it into the location you need. We air down alot to drag the fiver down on the beach. With the duals it was a huge pain.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:52 AM

Mine are so short I can even reach in to take the caps off! I'm going to rotate my tires this week and fix that problem right away.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
If you are considering the extension that permanently attaches to the inside stem with a hose on it and brings a valve out to a plate on the outside tire, be careful. There is only one to consider and that is the one with stainless hoses. However, I had that on one motorhome and it let the inside tire down, it blew and took away $3000 worth of motorhome with it along with two new tires at $450 each. I would use the short extension (about 1") on the inside tire and use the truck type offset head gauge and inflator.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:10 PM

I got mine at NAPA. I think they were about $17-$18 each. They have a sheet metal mount that clips to the wheels. So far they have been ok. I put them on when I had the new tire put on a couple years ago. You just have to change them around when you do tire rotations. a small PIA.

Those heavy duty ones at Genos look pretty nice...so does the price.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:11 PM

I had the long ones on my motor home , they leaked down on the inside tire also . I only had about 40,000 miles on them when they went , wore a hole in them rubbing on hub cap . I lost inside tire and had quite a bit of body damage done also . I would put the shortest ones that work on , if it were me , stay away from long easy to fill ones . Mine were high buck at purchase and cost me a lot more down the road not to mention changing the tire on the 4 lane with the jack from hell . The next stop was a tire and a good jack and the removal of the other filler on the other side .
Old 01-29-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can see pro's and con't to each. Again, what I'm after is a solid mount. I'm leaning toward's these since they won't move. The bad thing is it wouldn't be easy at rotation time. Can you guy's see any con's to these, other than the price.
Attached Thumbnails Dually valve stem extension's-kit3_layout.jpg  
Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM

Those are the ones I have. Love em. Rotation is a pain but atleast you can air them up or pull the valve stem to air down.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My sons truck had the stainless ones. I was not impressed. I just bought the dual chuck from NAPA.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
RRC

Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
I can see pro's and con't to each. Again, what I'm after is a solid mount. I'm leaning toward's these since they won't move. The bad thing is it wouldn't be easy at rotation time. Can you guy's see any con's to these, other than the price.
I will be getting some of these before my next Pismo trip! Thanks for the link and info...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by RRC
I will be getting some of these before my next Pismo trip! Thanks for the link and info...
You won't regret it. The first time I tried to air down at pismo was about an 1.5 hour pain in the rear. Airing back up was just as bad.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:03 AM

The first thing I did was to have metal valve stem installed on all six wheels. I then bought the 4", I think that was the length, and put them on the inside tire. I also bought the curved extender, I'm not sure of the angle, and put them on the outside tires. They look like the ones in the picture above except they screw off of the metal valve stem. When the tires are rotated, the extenders are unscrewed from the metal valve stems and screwed back in to their proper place. This can be done before the tires are put back on to make it easier.

The nicest thing about it is I can air the tires without even removing the wheel covers.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
By using a junk truck stop air chuck, I managed to push the stem in the wheel.
So I just pulled it back out with plier's.

What on earth kind of stems do you have that they could get pushed into the wheels ??

On my DRW trucks, I use braided stainless flexible extensions on the inside and the rigid horseshoe-shaped extensions on the outside.

No air-leaks in many years of use.

I carry TWO of my own DRW air-chucks and a couple extra quik-couple fittings, in case my chuck won't fit someone else's hose.

I also carry 50' hose and have on-board tank and compressor, for when a big compressor is un-available.

Also, there are TWO designs of DRW air-chuck; one has a straight head with an almost parallel second orifice for the outside wheel; the other has the orifice for the outside wheel at about a 45* angle; some wheel/simulator set-ups require one style, while some require the other.

With the rigid horseshoe-looking extensions, only the straight end is required for either wheel.

I have never experienced any benefit from rotating, other than wear and tear on the nuts/studs, and added cost; I find it more cost-effective to put my money toward more NEW tires, when the old ones become slick.

Quick Reply: Dually valve stem extension's