Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Dual Vs Singles rear axle ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Vs Singles rear axle ??

I'm working on figuring out what I want in my new truck and am thinking about going with the single rear setup. I use my truck for mostly highway travel and occasional heavy towing (approx 15K Lbs). Is there any difference in the axles or differentials themselves? Other than the number of rims, tires and brakes? Is there a difference in brakes?

Thanks for your oppinions
Nolan
Old 12-11-2003, 08:59 AM

Re:Dual Vs Singles rear axle ??

There is no diff. in brakes. But if you are gonna haul 15K I would go with the training wheel option for stability and assurance versus single. At least get a 3500 single wheel, you didn't say if you are pulling a GN or what. If you are pulling GN or fiver think about a long bed vs shortbed. Dually has some down side to it more tires more $$ for tires more fuel consumption etc. but it looks good with UFO lights on top. ;D I love mine lots of compliments and tow anything I want.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:07 AM

Sorry everyone.
I now realize that I should have been more specific on the towing details. We tow a large boat, bumper hitch unfortunately. However we only need to move it once or twice a year. I just hesitate dragging the duals over the highway the rest of the year, I do a pretty good commute.
But I realize ya gotta do whats best.

I don't have a 5th wheel trailer but am assuming the hitch weight is much higher than with the boat. I'm guessing I've only got about 600 lbs. Does this affect your positions on the duals???
Old 12-11-2003, 11:25 AM

If you only have a 600# tongue weight on a 15,000# trailer let me know when you will be towing it so I can stay away. That thing will throw you around something terrible. If you only have a 600# tongue weight and it weighs less than 6,000# then you could use a 2500 to do the job. If you are going to tow the trailer that is 15,000# then you need the 3500. If it were me in that same situation, I would seriously look at the short wheel base SRW. Do yourself a favor and "look down the road" a few years and see if you might eventually get a fiver, gooseneck, or some other trailer so you can plan accordingly.
Good Luck
Tom
Old 12-11-2003, 11:32 AM

[quote author=Nolynn3 link=board=11;threadid=23572;start=0#msg221830 date=1071118694]
I'm working on figuring out what I want in my new truck and am thinking about going with the single rear setup. I use my truck for mostly highway travel and occasional heavy towing (approx 15K Lbs). Is there any difference in the axles or differentials themselves? Other than the number of rims, tires and brakes? Is there a difference in brakes?

Thanks for your oppinions
Nolan
[/quote]
I think the owners manual says if you tow more than 10,000 lbs you need a 5th wheel hitch ??? or did I miss read something.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:55 AM

Nolynn, guessing is kind of dangerous at high weights. Have you towed this boat/trailer combo before? If so, with what? How'd it go?

How big a boat? twins? inboards, outboards? How many axles on the trailer? I won't even ask about brakes yet. 15K is a big boat, possibly a wideload candidate.

My Formula sitting on the trailer weighs approx 9K, and I've got approx 600lb tongue weight - depending on fuel load. I can tell its behind my 2500 once in a while. You could never feel it behind my Ford Dooley (other than it was a slow-pig on the highway). For all you RV'ers, boat trailer tongue weights don't always conform to the 10% rule.

I'll go out on a limb here with many unanswered questions, but if you're gonna tow twice a year - to the marina in the spring and home in the fall, and its not a huge trip, I think a 3500 SRW is ok, but just take your time.

I miss the dooley's on my truck, but do like her slender hips.

FWIW, my little brother pulls his 32' Scarab with a F250, and a buddy pulls his 35' Cigerette behind his F250. I don't know the weights but they are heavier than my boat. They can pass me on the water (except near gas docks), but I can easily pass them on the road.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:07 PM

As a matter of fact this is a 34' Loadmaster triple axle with disc brakes on all three. I'd like to find a 5th wheel trailer for this boat, but can't afford the price for a custom job. Since we haven't married up the boat and trailer yet, I don't have firm numbers for the hitch weight yet. And there are so many variables in the boat that we'll be able to play with as well. Do know, that the total boat and trailer will be 14,800 wet. Latest figure.

Nolan
Old 12-11-2003, 05:25 PM

Is longer wheelbase more stable in towing? Any sense in getting an aftermarket rear sway bar for a little added stability?

Also, if we're talking big tongue weight on a 2500 and I wanted to get helper/overload springs... should I get the factory 3500 helpers or something like Hellwig's...

http://www.truckperformance.com/vehi...oductID=527972

Old 12-11-2003, 09:04 PM

If you are towing only a couple of miles a year I would suggest the following. Electric brakes, load leveling hitch take it easy. I have pulled a 27 Tiara 10' beam over flat ground with a Suburban with this set up I think it weighs about 11,000 wet with trailer. I would think a 2500 would haul this and prolly the set up you want to tow if the pulls are infrequent.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:33 PM

It took a while for Dodge to update all the towing info on the new body style. You can go a tag along up to 12,000 pounds and above that you need a fiver hitch. DC included an addemdum to that effect in their owners manuals in mid year. If you don't need the duals don't get them. If you tow a heavy fiver or have a heavy slide in, then it is almost a given that you need the duals.

Casey
Old 12-11-2003, 11:23 PM

[quote author=eieio link=board=11;threadid=23572;start=0#msg222382 date=1071198281]
I would suggest the following. Electric brakes.
[/quote]

On a boat trailer? Maybe electric over hydraulic, but straight electric? They won't last long, even if they are disconnected when submerged.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:52 AM

The good news is that he said the trailer has disk brakes; so electrics aren't an issue. Electrics will fail on a boat trailer. As it is, that trailer with disks has electric selenoids for reverse operation that like to fail often anyways. And with 6 of them, he'll have some continous maintenance to perform (but thats not a bad thing - keeps your eyes open for other issues).

Just like boats operate in a different envirnonment than cars/trucks, thier trailers operate in a totally different environment than RV's. Ever wonder why boat trailer OEM's never offer trailers with electric brakes? Always hyd brakes, actuated in different manners.

They also don't offer trailers with load levelers for a couple of reasons, 1. they impede the operation of surge couplers, and 2. boat trailer tongues aren't the same as an A frame design found on RV's. If you're using an elec over hyd actuating sytem, is it possible to convert/weld something together? Yes it is, but I wouldn't consider it a viable/reliable long-term solution. Welds can and do brake.

BTW, my little brother used to pull his old 28 Cigerette with a 'Burb; and when I wasn't looking, he was talked into electric brakes by an RV'ing neighbor - they worked for a couple of times. And that was dropping the boat into Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair (fresh water).

I can't wait for spring, my boat was covered with snow last weekend.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nolan,

If you really only tow this boat a couple of times a year buy the truck you like and don't worry about it. My Dad tows around a 43' Black Thunder boat, 17,500 on the trailer. He uses a '96 CTD Auto 4.10:1 ratio, Dually with a custom hitch I made for him. Look at my sig, I have towed his boat with my 2500. Short trips-I paid very close attention to other drivers and my speed-no problems, again this is not an everyday occurance with the 2500. And for all of you "numbers" people out there, EVERY boat trailer/boat manufacturer out there of large "performance" boats exceeds that 10K rating with a ball.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:21 PM

[quote author=Nolynn3 link=board=11;threadid=23572;start=0#msg222048 date=1071162422]
I just hesitate dragging the duals over the highway the rest of the year, I do a pretty good commute.
[/quote]

I commute at least 50 miles one way with my dually. Only issue I have is parking the beast in downtown Toronto. Other than that, it's a nice commuter.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To answer an earlier question:

DRW is not an option with the short bed. You can get either SRW or DRW with the long bed. (This applies to the 2004 model.....not sure about other years).

Quick Reply: Dual Vs Singles rear axle ??