Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

double towing and hassle from cops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
double towing and hassle from cops?

we have decided to upgrqade our 5er to something a little larger and more well equiped

the problem arises in that we usually flat tow our jeep behind our 5er

currently 61.5' tip to tail

we have four kids that are getting older and all needing their own beds. the quad bunkhouse is the ideal setup, but they are long

they will add 7-9' to our current length, Colorado has a 70 foot limit so at home i will be ok, but we are surrounded by states with a 65 foot limit.

how many of you double tow past legal lengths of 60-85 feet depending on your state?

and how many of you have been hassled if at all?

what is the likely outcome if i get hassled?

I was pulled over in Gunnison last year because the tow lights on the jeep had gone out. the trooper did question me on the length of our setup.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:54 AM

My brother pulls doubles.

He is 65' 8". Illigal in Utah by 8 inches. He has never been hasseled by the police. Not sure about the ramifications are if he is caught for being 8 inches to long. Sorry.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:33 PM

I wouldn't worry that much about it.But then again thats just me..Have you looked into a toyhauler type trailer instead of towing doubles?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by doznfire
I wouldn't worry that much about it.But then again thats just me..Have you looked into a toyhauler type trailer instead of towing doubles?
Depending on the Jeep, most will not fit in a toy hauler - especially a modified Jeep with big rubber. The toy haulers I have seen are not equipped to handle that kind of weight in the cargo bay either.

From my limited experience with this, the best way to have large living quarters and haul a Jeep all in one trailer would be to go with a race car style trailer.....it is MUCH better equipped to do this. You can have the trailer outfitted with just about any type of floor plan with an abudance of room and have tons room and the appropriate equipment to haul the Jeep. Since you can get them all the way up to 53', adequate space shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:31 PM

that is what i have, i can haul two jeep and i am building fold down beds for the kids in the back. i have a single 44" gooseneck trailer 102 wide. with 3 8k axles with brakes on all. the trailer was built heavy to haul heavy. it was the only way i could get everything that i wanted.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Depending on the Jeep, most will not fit in a toy hauler - especially a modified Jeep with big rubber. The toy haulers I have seen are not equipped to handle that kind of weight in the cargo bay either.

From my limited experience with this, the best way to have large living quarters and haul a Jeep all in one trailer would be to go with a race car style trailer.....it is MUCH better equipped to do this. You can have the trailer outfitted with just about any type of floor plan with an abudance of room and have tons room and the appropriate equipment to haul the Jeep. Since you can get them all the way up to 53', adequate space shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, but make sure you get large fresh water, and black/grey water tanks. Most race car trailers are set up for a weekend at the track, and have a water capacity of 30 gallons
Old 07-27-2006, 09:14 PM

Getting hassled is one thing, but you could certainly kiss any hope of insurance good by if something were to go bad.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 PM

all good points

the thing about the race car trailers (we looked at the innovators) they just don't have the interior ammenities and the space available in the rv

not to mention slider options etc. also getting a 50 foot race rig into the national parks etc would be prohibitive, with the tag along jeeep i can unhook and park the trailer, there is that extra 30 grand part also, i am not broke but the rvs are in the 30-40 range and the race trailer quotes i got were at 50-60,

the toy hauler do not have the gvw for a jeep inside, and to get a 16 foot garage we are talking a 50 foot rig at like 70k

the insurance thing is a very good point, we will definitely look into that

we would be legal in colorado but illegal in most states, i already put the foot down about having the larger outback that my wife liked, darn thing was 35 feet by itself
Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 PM

Be sure to check the pin box weight rating
Old 07-28-2006, 10:26 PM

yeah the pin box we have now is a 16k rig and jeep are about 10k

the new trailers are weighing in a bit heavier but we should still be at about 12.5k with the 16k rating on the pin box

found out that forest river makes a race/living quarters trailer in my price range that will do both, 38 foot, 21 ft living and 17 ft garage, with water capacities of and rv, interior like an rv

going tomorrow to check them out

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ochure&nav=rec
Old 07-28-2006, 11:40 PM

My buddy has a toy hauler that he puts his modded CJ7 inside.. It has three axles and they are pretty far back, but it is very nice and tows very well. The jeep just barely fits, but it does and that's what counts. Back the jeep out and the carpet rolls out and the beds and sofa drop down and it is a full RV... I got a couple of pictures on my hard drive, but don't know how to post them, but I could e-mail them to you...
Old 07-29-2006, 09:55 AM

yeah except i run a modded xj to fit the family in

finding a toy hauler with a 17' garage is almost impossible i can special order one but they are 65k in my neck of the woods

we were looking at like 35k at the top end

we did find a few triple bunkhouse to look at today also that would keep us at 65 feet much better and legal in more states they look like i could add the fourth bunk without too much trouble
Old 07-29-2006, 10:41 PM

FWIW you shouldn't need a 17 foot "garage" for the XJ. I put my buddy's ZJ in my 16ft enclosed trailer with room to spare.

John
Old 07-29-2006, 11:29 PM

You might want to look at the Campmaster line heres a pretty nice 34' X 102 for $30K link ought to be able to get the XJ in there
Old 07-30-2006, 09:57 AM

the 17 footer is the only size they had that would work, i dont have the option of a 16 footer, also gives me room for the swing out tire carrier if i want it

the wife really wants the rv so the garage issue may be moot anyway