Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Dometic Awning Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dometic Awning Help

I'm getting to my "to do list" of things to get fixed before our first camping trip of the year. Last year I had an issue with my awning retracting. It was like it had lost it's tension to roll back up. It is a manual retracting model. I can't find any information on Dometic's site on how to wind the spring to bring tension back. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Or know how to fix it? Thanks for any info!

Jimmy
Old 03-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

if it worked to start with and now it doesn't something most likely broke. i dont think there is an adjustment for rewind but as always I may be wrong. good luck.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Dometic

I've got a Dometic awning on my Northstar and it's a handfull to open up with two people. A customer at the dealer where I bought mine demonstrated their brand(can't remember what it was) and wow, what a breeze!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Weg

Originally Posted by JDonahue
I'm getting to my "to do list" of things to get fixed before our first camping trip of the year. Last year I had an issue with my awning retracting. It was like it had lost it's tension to roll back up. It is a manual retracting model. I can't find any information on Dometic's site on how to wind the spring to bring tension back. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Or know how to fix it? Thanks for any info!

Jimmy
Winding the springs is defiantly NOT a one man operation. You have to roll down the awning, either work vice grips on the cap or use Dometics tool to do it. Remove the arm from the cap and then spin the spring until its tight (I can't remember the recommended winds off the top of my head) and then re assemble everything.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Any idea where I can find the procedure for this?? Dometic doesn't show it on there manual and you know an RV shop isn't going to give me the secret. I figure it's got to be a bit like my blinds in the cab over area, there is just a spring that you wind and it puts tension back in the winding mechanism. Any more help would be great!

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Weg

Originally Posted by JDonahue
Any idea where I can find the procedure for this?? Dometic doesn't show it on there manual and you know an RV shop isn't going to give me the secret. I figure it's got to be a bit like my blinds in the cab over area, there is just a spring that you wind and it puts tension back in the winding mechanism. Any more help would be great!

Thanks,
Jimmy

I"m not sure where you can get a step by step instruction manual on how to do it. My dads owned an RV shop for 20+ years and taught me how to do it. An RV shop will tell you exactly what I just told you on how to do it.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Awning

It is best to leave it to the pros. You can be hurt very easley doing it your self.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM

Check the internet under A&E awnings. Dometic bought A&E. I know you can take the tube mount out of the arm and tighten the spring this way, but like the fellow said be careful. Which model of awning do you have?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:11 PM

when I replaced the spring and lock mechanisam on my A-E awning it HAS to be done in the retracted position. this will have the spring with the LEAST amount of tenision on it. mine said to put 8 turns of preload on the spring IIRC. it is not a hard job, just must be done VERY carefully so the spring doesnt get away from you or you WILL get hurt.

bill
Old 03-23-2007, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Ask over at Rv.net. Someone there will know. Try the "Tech Issues" forum.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Winding up the awning spring.

There is a specified number of turns which we've found it best not to exceed on the A&E awnings. It seems that when the awning is fully extended the spring is pretty close to it's practical limit. If the spring is already weakened, it will likely fail by tightening more.

On the other hand, it sounds like it's no longer working right anyway....

We use a special made tool to wind the spring and it helps to have a few extra hands.

Fred
boulderrv.net
Old 03-29-2007, 02:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Carefree of Colorado. Mine was weak. I just retentioned the spring. I believe they had (I sold the camper a few years ago) on line.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:40 PM

I have had (2) Carefree's & (1) A&E. Both were easy to use, easy 1 man operation. I think it is dealer time if it is not going up properly. Some things are not worth the aggervation or risk of injury.
I like the A&E a little better, seemed better made; both do the job.
Good luck!!