Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Do goosenecks usually BUCK ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do goosenecks usually BUCK ??

I finally bought a tri axle gooseneck a month or so ago and put the hitch setup on my 03.
Anyway, the trailer is early 80's era and I was hauling an 8500lb truck a few weeks ago and noticed that if I don't SLIDE the clutch at start up and going into each gear that truck will start to buck. It feels as though the gooseneck is flexing and allowing forward and backward movement. The gooseneck is rated at 30,000 lbs and the trailer at 20,000 lbs so i am nowhere near close to overloaded. Just wondering if this is normal or if I should be concerned with the structural integrity of the trailer...????
Old 07-07-2007, 04:19 PM

was the truck strapped down good because if not the movement of the truck moving back a forth would be noticably
Old 07-07-2007, 04:33 PM

i have 03 dually and haul 50 ft 3 car trailer and have the same issues only when it is fully loaded with heavy SUV's. Seems that it only does it in 1st and 2nd gear and noticed that if I take it easy on accelaration its not too bad and goes away and can pretty much nail the rest of the gears. I thought the clutch might be slipping causing the jerking but its been 20K of towing this trailer and truck has 149k with original clutch and just got use to taking it easy on start off.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:32 PM

The truck was strapped well and I actually had it tight against the bulkhead.
I'm just worried that the trailer may be flexing beyond what it is supposed to.
I bought this thing to be able to haul heavy equipment and if a 4.5 ton truck gives me trouble, what would a 10 ton piece of equip. do ???
Old 07-07-2007, 11:15 PM

I pull a 30' delta flatbed and it has bucked like that from new. Worse when loaded heavy but still noticeable empty. Some trailers buck some dont.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:19 AM

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Grnitech
I pull a 30' delta flatbed and it has bucked like that from new. Worse when loaded heavy but still noticeable empty. Some trailers buck some dont.

I used to have to pull a 28x8 (floor-length, not including neck-length) EBY stock-trailer.

That thing would decide to start bucking/surging; and, once it decided to start that mess, nothing I did would help it.

It would feel like the trailer was flexing, sort of like some giant was jerking it's tail.

This trailer only did it when empty; it would behave pretty decent, once it had about fifteen big cows standing aboard.

Out of the hundreds of trailers I have pulled, some larger, some smaller, that is the only one I remember doing it.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 AM

Mine does it all the time and and some of my friends around here have the same trailers that dont, some do. It doesnt seem to be in the tow vehicle because mines been pulled with 6 or 7 differnt setups and it still bucks. You dont want to try and drink any thing when pullin my trailer.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:38 PM

This eases my worries about this trailer. Thanks guys
Old 07-08-2007, 06:07 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it has alot too do with the axel spacing too because I have 20ft flat bed that was a tri axel before I got it and they removed the third axel and did not change the widths of the others and it shimmys empty but you get a load in it it smooths out nicly.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:58 PM

In my experience, it has to do with where the load is placed on the trailer, the height of the gooseneck, and the slop in your truck drive train and the springs, or the road. Also, it depends on the make of the trailer.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Checkmate
I finally bought a tri axle gooseneck a month or so ago and put the hitch setup on my 03.
Anyway, the trailer is early 80's era and I was hauling an 8500lb truck a few weeks ago and noticed that if I don't SLIDE the clutch at start up and going into each gear that truck will start to buck. It feels as though the gooseneck is flexing and allowing forward and backward movement. The gooseneck is rated at 30,000 lbs and the trailer at 20,000 lbs so i am nowhere near close to overloaded. Just wondering if this is normal or if I should be concerned with the structural integrity of the trailer...????

If u suspect the trailer, if the axles are too far back, well, it could be the cause for buckin as well. These things are designed to be pulled loaded down, and behave better in the process, sorta like a heavy duty truck with overloads and 10 ply tires...

Rick

Last edited by TxDiesel007; 07-09-2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: should have read that u had an 03
Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM

i have a 25' gn with a high neck and axles set far back and it bucks when empty. like u said, its at lower speeds and once it starts you just hang on until you get goijng faster. throw some weight on it and ur good. u should hear the wife complain

i agree, i think it has to do with the axle placement
Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 AM
TSB

Is the trailer suspension and tires in good shape, not worn? Also if it doesn't do it at all unloaded I would look at load placement. You mentioned you had the truck against the bulkhead. If you have the weight too far forward or too far back you will have bucking and or sway problems. If you haven't towed very much it will just take a little time to get used to proper placement of the load. I have three goosenecks and each acts a little different but all tow better than a tag along.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:42 AM

The bucking is normal for goosenecks. If you want to alleviate it try one of these:

http://www.codyhitch.com/cody%20cushion.htm
Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Banned

it helps to put the load over the axles instead of against the "bulkhead"...im assuming you mean it was as far foward as possible. im sure youll find what works best for your combination

bett

Quick Reply: Do goosenecks usually BUCK ??