Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

DIY in bed folding camper

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY in bed folding camper

I've been thinking a lot lately about a future trailer purchase to tow 2 vehicles...and really it would tow one jeep and our pop-up camper.

I know the truck will handle it easily but I am thinking about doing something a little different.

I've seen/read about/ looked at several version of the folding tent/expedition trailers and I was thinking about may be putting something together like that but that I can take in and out of the bed of the truck. Then I can flat tow my jeep, use a tow dolly, or get just a one car trailer which for overall use seems to be more practical than a 2 car trailer.

What I was thinking is having a flat floor across the width of the bed on top of the rails. Having a piece fold out on either side of the bed and one off the back of the bed. Basically making it about 12' long from the back of the cab and then 14' wide side to side of the bed. Giving 168 sq ft. With it sitting on top of the rails we still have a lot of cargo space underneath in the bed up to rail height.

Then figure out what to use for the 'tent'. My wife doesn't want go backwards from a pop-up to just regular tent camping but I figure the pop up is really just a tent on wheels so this could be too.

I just need to keep it light enough to be able to get it into and out of the truck if possible by hand but if I build a stand with rollers on top I can use another vehicle to just slide it out onto the stand and roll it into place to tie it up when not in use.

ANyway..just thinking outloud and wondering if anyone has done something like this...?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Search "redneck toyhauler" on here, there are quite a few builds.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://cascadiatents.com/
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I build my own toy-hauler pop-up truck camper a few years ago. Was a lot of work, and ultimately couldn't find anyone to do the canvas work and ended up parting it out. Luckily I didn't lose much $, just my time.

I would just buy a pop-up truck camper (palomino, sun-lite, 6-pack, real-lite, etc) if I were you. You can find those anywhere from $2k-$10k in good shape. Some are even self-contained.
Like this:

Or these are interesting:
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 7707
I've seen/read about/ looked at several version of the folding tent/expedition trailers and I was thinking about may be putting something together like that but that I can take in and out of the bed of the truck.
a flat floor across the width of the bed on top of the rails.
Then figure out what to use for the 'tent'.
You could use one of those rooftop tents that the expedition guys use....... there are several companies that make these. Make your flat floor on top of the bed rails and install the tent. www.rme4x4.com has a "back country vehicle tech" section.......tons of info and the guys on there are very willing to help.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by mrclean
You could use one of those rooftop tents that the expedition guys use....... there are several companies that make these. Make your flat floor on top of the bed rails and install the tent. www.rme4x4.com has a "back country vehicle tech" section.......tons of info and the guys on there are very willing to help.
That is sort of what I am thinking about.

I also thought about getting another pop-up camper that has a shorter box than my current one or just getting one and shortening the box to 8' so I take off the axle and turn it sideways in the bed to legally drive on the road. (my current pop up has a 12' long box).
Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Soon after we bought our trucks last year my son calls up and is hyper on the phone, something about scratches on his truck. Turns out a bear jumped into the box of the truck while parked and was rummaging around and made claw mark scratches. Might want to reconsider the "tent" idea.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Bears! Nah...I'm more worried a bout bigfoot or my mother-in-law attacking the truck.

I had thought about the bears but I am thinking (hoping) that with it actually having sides...even if they are canvas that will deter the critters at least a bit more than an open bed. ...plus I would try to have at least another 6-12" of side rail added all the way around the edges of the 'contraption' which might make it a little bit harder for them to try to jump in.

So far in 5 years of pop-up camping we haven't had an issue...hopefully if we do this we'll have the same luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:27 PM

why not buy a goose to put pop-up & jeep on?