Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

DC's Bolt on Hitch Rating=How Much ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DC's Bolt on Hitch Rating=How Much ?

My truck did not come with the trailer tow package, but I did add the DC hitch/wiring harness/brake controller and was wandering if this hitch is a class iv or iii ? I believe it's a IV but just not sure
Old 02-10-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have the weight ratings for the receiver? I believe up to 10,000 (weight distributing) is a class IV.

Chris
Old 02-10-2005, 07:52 PM

It depends on how you use it -

If your setup is WEIGHT CARRYING, then it's a class 3; 500# tongue weight; 5000# trailer weight.

If your setup is WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING, then it's a class 4; 1000# tongue weight; 10,000# trailer weight.

Pretty strange, huh??

Here's the quote from DC in response to my email:

'Thank you for your email regarding your 2003 Dodge Ram.

Your vehicle came equipped with a Class IV receiver hitch. For weight
carrying, it has a maximum tongue weight rating of 500 pounds and a
maximum trailer weight of 5000 pounds. For weight distribution, the
highest tongue weight rating is 1000 pounds and the maximum trailer
weight is 10000 pounds.

Thank you again for writing.'

Rene
Old 02-11-2005, 01:21 AM

Yeah seems strange ,according to the DC site all the tow packages are class IV hitch's
Old 02-11-2005, 11:23 AM

i have a 36' bumper pull with a pintal hitch. i have had a lot of tounge weight as in 3k plus. the only problem i have had is when i was in corners and it rocked a bit the hitch developed some cracks. i have seen these cracks on many other trucks that did not have near the weight on them as mine. i pulled it off, welded up all the cracks and put some braces in it to keep it from swaying and cracking again.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:38 AM

Don't think we will have to worry about hitches as the travel trailer we bought is 740lbs hitch weight and 7000lbs dry and it's 29' can't wait to go camping!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 12:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gadgets
[B]It depends on how you use it -

If your setup is WEIGHT CARRYING, then it's a class 3; 500# tongue weight; 5000# trailer weight.

If your setup is WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING, then it's a class 4; 1000# tongue weight; 10,000# trailer weight.

Pretty strange, huh??

Here's the quote from DC in response to my email:

'Thank you for your email regarding your 2003 Dodge Ram.

Your vehicle came equipped with a Class IV receiver hitch. For weight
carrying, it has a maximum tongue weight rating of 500 pounds and a
maximum trailer weight of 5000 pounds. For weight distribution, the
highest tongue weight rating is 1000 pounds and the maximum trailer
weight is 10000 pounds.

Thank you again for writing.'

I am not getting it? What is the difference between weight carrying and weight distributing?
I pull a 6500 lb tractor trailer combo. The trailer is a 2 axle flatbed about 18 feet long. Is the stock hitch adequate?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Comstock
[B]
Originally posted by gadgets
It depends on how you use it -
I am not getting it? What is the difference between weight carrying and weight distributing?
I pull a 6500 lb tractor trailer combo. The trailer is a 2 axle flatbed about 18 feet long. Is the stock hitch adequate?
Check out the Reese hitch web site for pictures and description of what a (WD) weight distribution hitch is. http://www.reese-hitches.com/ Your stock hitch will work for your tractor trailer combo if you go with the WD setup. You might be able to get by without WD, but I wouldn't risk it -- any accident will cause legal issues even if it is not your fault. Besides, I found that the WD hitch helped smooth out the ride, and now I always use it.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:50 AM

Thanks Flack. I actually had them on a trailer but always heard them referred to as load levelers. They definitely make a big difference. I will be investing in a setup next week.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Comstock
Thanks Flack. I actually had them on a trailer but always heard them referred to as load levelers. They definitely make a big difference. I will be investing in a setup next week.

That's a common term for them, but also completely wrong. Unfortunately, that's what people use them as.....

The trailer should be balanced without the weight bars on. Using them to "level" a trailer puts a lot of stress on them, but more importantly actually unloads the rear tires of the truck. I've seen people get wheelspin you wouldn't believe out of small gasser trucks because they had their bars so tight.

They are weight distributors. Basically used to better distribute the load in situations where the truck and trailer would want to pivot at the trailer ball, which puts a lot of load on the hitch and rear of the truck (which makes for less stable towing, and is a reason the hitches are rated higher with a WD setup).
Old 03-02-2005, 09:32 AM

While a WD hitch redistributes weight over the TV & trailer axles, it does not reduce tongue weight on the hitch ball itself. I have the factory installed (as part of the tow package) hitch on a 2005, and the manual clearly states that it is a Class IV good for 10k lbs with no discussion of derating it without WD bars. The window stiker also says Class IV (not Class III/IV like many of the aftermarket hitches say). There is also no info anywhere on the hitch itself.

Not sure what came on the 2003's but the new ones appear to be "real" Class IV's with no qualifications. The DC bolt on must be a different part than the one installed with the factory tow package.