Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Combination dump and skidsteer trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Combination dump and skidsteer trailer?

I have been looking at trailers to haul my skidsteer with and also dumptrailers. While searching around the internet I came across the combination haul/dump trailer.

Present attachments on skidsteer makes machine up to 72" wide and 127" long with a basic weight of 5395 lbs.. Will be using skidsteer doing small landscape jobs and snow removal. (we had over 170" of snow last winter)

Are any of you using this type of trailer?

Can you offer any pros or cons?

Also pros and cons about tag trailers vs gooseneck.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-22-2004, 07:54 PM

Oooh. Nice thread, Math Teacher! We are in the same situation right now. We are going after a gooseneck dump, either 14 or 16 foot. We are planning on the exact same thing as you are (landscape & snow removal)!

One thing is to make sure and get a scissor lift, as they can lift higher than a standard lift. Another is you can haul more weight legally with the gooseneck. With the bumper pull, you have to look at your reciever rating, and then the drawbar and ball rating. But we'll leave this to the experts, not the speculators...
Old 04-22-2004, 07:57 PM

I haul our 46 hp Gehl skidloader in my 16 foot dumptrailer. I had some long ramps lieing around, and they are just long enough to get it in the trailer while only being slightly scary. The trailer is rated at 14,000 lbs I believe, so a skidloader is no problem for it. I'd like to see this combo trailer. I'm guessing that it's a dump trailer, but lower to the ground than a normal dumper to be able to load a skidloader? As to tag vs. gooseneck, My 16 foot is a tag. I kick myself everytime I use it that I didn't get a Gooseneck instead. It's real easy to get too much weight on the rear of the tag. I've used a friend's GN, and it handles weight in the rear much better than the tag. So my vote is for gooseneck. My next one will be definately be gooseneck.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:05 PM

erics76

try this url

http://www.tptrailersinc.com/DumpTra...rHeavyDuty.htm
Old 04-22-2004, 08:23 PM

Looks similiar to mine but with lower sides. I guess they put lower sides on in order to be able to secure a skidloader, but I don't have a problem strapping mine down with high sides. I like the higher sides because it allows you to haul more material. That's just me though, it depends on what you're hauling. Also, the one in the picture didn't have a scissor lift on it. I've used both, and scissor lift is better. Like Crimedog said, they will lift higher, and that's important because sometimes you get something in there that doesn't want to come out easily, and an extra foot or two in lift could be the difference between it slideing out, or you having to "help" it out.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:51 PM
db

I think if you don't need the biggest dump box I would look for a box that is built between the wheel wells (Should still be wide enough for your 72" skid steer) This way it would be lower to the ground for easier loading. I have seen these with slide in ramps at a dealer in my area. PM me if want info.

db
Old 04-22-2004, 08:52 PM

My dad doesn't seem to want to get the gooseneck, he says a bumper pull is "more convenient" I need some hard facts to get him to do the right thing!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:22 PM

What I was thinking of is what db is talking about. That would be the way to go. The one in the link seems to be a standard-heigth dumper. It's a pretty good angle for a skidloader unless you've got some LONG ramps for these. I have long ramps, and try to find a ditch or something to back the trailer in to make it lower still.

Crimedog, what you said in the earlier post is a pretty good "hard fact". Goosenecks will haul more weight, and the reciever rateing is the limiting factor on bumper pulls. My trailer is rated to 14,000, but the reciever is only 10,000, so techincally if the trailer is at it's limit, i'm 4,000lbs over on the reciever. The basic GN design enables it to haul more weight toward the rear. the bumper pull I have will start wagging pretty bad above 50mph if you get the weight just a little too much to the rear. A GN won't do this with even more weight on the rear. In my opinion, GN's are safer too. Too much weight on the rear of a bumper pull, and it could possibly disconnect itself from the ball. GN's are set with the wheels farther back because the hitch is right over the axle, so it can handle more weight from the trailer. I've never had a GN come off the ball, but I've had 2 bumper pulls come off. This is why saftey chains are required for bumperpulls, but not for GN's. Basically, if I'm going to haul anything over 8,000lbs, I'd rather use a GN. It just kinda scares me to haul 10,000lbs with a bumper pull.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:25 PM

I just re-read your post. "More convenient" is why I decided on a bumper pull too. Now I really wish I hadn't. It may be more convenient, but a GN is easier to pull and in my opinion, safer for the weight involved.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Banned

Anybody checked the price on these things yet, they look like they would scare me.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:32 AM
db

6 1/2' x 10 x 2
7000lb---2995
10400lb---3495

AZ TEX 909-428-8070

heres one 12' for same price -- SOUTHWEST TRAILER SALES--602-678-5600

HERES A GOOD ONE ----- 12' BOX ,2-7000LB AXLES , SCISSOR LIFT , D-RINGS ,16"WHEELS & RAMPS NEVER USED $6500 480-980-8777 OR 480-833-6026 sounds like one made for a skid steer

just reading the BIG TRUCK & HEAVY EQ. TRADER MAGAZINE Utah & Arizona try www.traderonline.com

I'm looking for a enclosed trailer myself

not affilliaded

hope this helps for examples of what you might expect to find

db
Old 04-23-2004, 12:50 AM
db

Let me try & speak your language

Yes the scissor lift is best because the "tri-angular' force is 'multiplied' to create more force & greater lift'
16" 10 ply tires offer more resistance to the both the 'constant' and 'variable' weights encountered by the wide range of loads that can be applied to the cubic feet in the rectangular area located in the right angled box suspended by the curved and tempered spring steel arches attatched to the wheels which are of greater circumferance with benifets that were previosly noted.
These conclusions are and can be relized proportionally but not greater than the size of your wallet
db
Old 04-23-2004, 11:10 AM

db

LMAO
Old 04-24-2004, 07:43 PM

Here is what we bought today. 14 footer, 14K capacity. This thing is awesome! We had to drive 150 miles to get it, but it is a new 03 model. Pulls pretty nice, and it is steep when it is at full dump! Only bad thing is it only comes with barn door style gate. Have to rig up a 3 way.

BTW, it is black, not white, we basically stole it for 5800 out the door!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:28 AM
db

crimedog

very nice.... dad will be sold &l love that goose when it is full of wet sand . You'll be able to jack-knife that unit into some pretty tight places.

db

Quick Reply: Combination dump and skidsteer trailer?