Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Changing to haul for hire

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 05:16 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing to haul for hire

Currenty I have been hauling my personal motorcycles and cars coast to coast (to shows and rallys) and have been asked many times if I would haul for hire (always declined).<br>But now I think I'll jump into the haul for hire class and need to know what more I need...currenty I have 2 enclosed trailers a 44 and 53 ft...I have $100,000 cargo insurance...I hold a CDL class A with doubles and triples,air brakes,Haz Mat,and tanker endorsments...I will be pulling thru all 48 states...my question is what more will I need ??? ICC--DOT# will I need a IFTA, my total weight will never be over 26000 lbs.<br>I guess I would fall under car hauler class since everything would be motorcycles,autos,tractors,maybe snowmobiles.<br>This would be under my company which is incorporated if that makes any differance and my base state is Georgia...Thanks For Any Help<br>Pappy
Old 11-17-2002, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Changing to haul for hire

I&quot;m sure that you will need the icc# and a DOT not sure if you need the U.S. one or one from your state and you will need ifta stickers also. I recommend talking to you state dot trooper in your area. He should be able to answer your questions correctly. As far as not being over 26k if your trailers have 3 7k axles and your in a 2500 or 3500 your above 26k. 3x7k=21k + 10k or 9k=30k or 31k and thats how DOT sees it. They go by your carrying weight or your registered weight not by what your carrying at the time. Good luck
Old 11-17-2002, 09:19 AM
Chapter President

[quote author=rich (cowboy) link=board=11;threadid=7146;start=0#68194 date=1037543544]<br>I&quot;m sure that you will need the icc# and a DOT not sure if you need the U.S. one or one from your state and you will need ifta stickers also. I recommend talking to you state dot trooper in your area. He should be able to answer your questions correctly. As far as not being over 26k if your trailers have 3 7k axles and your in a 2500 or 3500 your above 26k. 3x7k=21k + 10k or 9k=30k or 31k and thats how DOT sees it. They go by your carrying weight or your registered weight not by what your carrying at the time. Good luck <br>[/quote]<br><br>Both trailers have 3 6000 lb axels =18000 lbs but thats not a concern since I have a CDL.<br>Have talked to the local state troopers and each one has differant anwsers...been trying to get a hold of the Georgia DOT for some answers but the phone hold time runs into hours :P that why I posted on this forum Iam sure someone can point me in the right direction....its not fun playing with the DOT.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:42 AM

Good luck getting straight (meaning two of the same answers) answers from any LEO community (see my posting regarding being told by a leo that you needed a CDL for interstate trucks over 10,000 gvw that was wrong - topic is &quot;cdl's&quot; this forum) on what you need to legally operate.. Each leo agency has their own specialties and may not know alot about some other specific question you have.. OR one could tell you wrong and another issue you a ticket... I would document who you talked with incase you need clarification later on..<br><br>YOu may have to go to the state police for part of the stuff.. and go to the agency (could be state police or dmv) that enforces ifta/irp for some of the rest..<br><br>Unless your combination truck/trailer meets the requirements for IFTA (see post in this forum on &quot;do you need a fuel permit&quot; for postings in this) you wont need ifta..<br><br>IRP is another thing and it can vary state to state.. some states have laws on their books which require you to register (as in license plate) a vehicle if you do business in that state regardless of your base state... <br><br>AS AN EXAPLE - Lets say VA requires this and you are based in GA (lets say your combination gross weight is under 26,001 so you are not in ifta) and travel to VA and drop off/pick up a load... You are probably have GA base plates and will have to travel thru SC, and NC to get to VA... You may not have to be licensed in SC or NC (this is hypothetical) since you didnt do business there but you would need to be licensed in VA because you do business there.. <br><br>With IRP you take a your individiaul state miles versus your total miles to get a percentage. You only pay that percentage of the apportioned states full year fees... Say you travel 50% of your miles in VA - under IRP you will only pay 50% of the VA full yearly fee for the gross weight of your vehicle. IRP give you the flexibility to be registered in a whole lot of states for the approximate cost of registering in one single state.<br><br>Good luck.. Im sure someone here on the board is doing what you are doing and can give you their specifics...<br><br><br>One thing you hit on that also varies by state how the truck has to be registered to cover the weight of the trailer.. there was an old post called something like &quot;this is outrageous&quot; with a link to a race car haulers site and trucks being legal in one state and getting parked/ticketed in another state for not having enough registered gross weight on the truck.. Maybe someone here can find/revive this link..<br>
Old 11-17-2002, 07:41 PM

You all knew that this would get a hit from me ;D You have more than three axles so you will need IRP plates regardless of the weight and that is federal. Techenically you don't need the IFTA as has been pointed out but for about $20 a year you eliminate a bunch of stops and checks. I would go ahead and get it. The paperwork is filled out already because you have the IRP. So it only amounts to the quarterly return. That way you dont get trapped into any of the verious states off the wall rules.

You will need a US dot number which is free for the fileing. You will need authority in any state that you pick up and deliver in the same state (Georgia). You can't be not for hire for one purpose and for hire in another. You will need the ICC MC number which will cost a $350 filing fee. You will need a Single State Registration which is the registration for your insurance, in 48 states it comes to $256. On the IRP I would register for the states that you think that you will run and then you can add the others if necessary before a load. I registered everything else for 48 states.

As a pickup truck you have a few problems that you will have to comply with and I can't tell you all of them. This is why I pulled my pickup bed and registered as a tractor. Pointedly Florida and Tennessee you will be overlength. In Florida you purchase an annual permit for the overlength, not sure about Tennessee. I am sure that there are variations in other states as well. But you will not be covered by the federal standards on length which allow the 53 foot trailer in all states and unlimited tractor length. If you are 102 I would suggest you check on the limitations on that. That was another reason that I went tractor.

I am sure that you are familiar with the basics of freight, like don't get caught without making out the freight bills on vehicles before running them. No paperwork they can get nasty, too many stolen cars and vehicles. In one of my moments I asked a trooper &quot;you mean that I can steal what I want and transport it as long as i make up a freight bill&quot; He did not appreciate it. You are Inc. so I bet you already have the paperwork but if not try to copy a printed freight bill so that your paperwork is not just a receipt, but is a freight bill in the eyes of the law.

You need $750,000 liability insurance and the law only requires $5000 in cargo insurance but i am sure that the customers will require more. I am running $80,000.

Trailers DO NOT have to be apportioned since California finally gave in. No state requires it. If I were you I would apportion for X3 or better, thereby removing any chance of being overweight. Under 26,000 does not give you any advantages.

Good Luck
Old 11-20-2002, 08:19 AM

Just make sure you keep all the required recordkeeping for IFTA and/or IRP... and that means documenting ALL of your vehicles movements.. not just the trips you are being paid for.. Your base state should give you the recordkeeping requirements...<br><br>Here is a link to a consulting company that addresses some of the questions you asked.. No endorsement here.. just found the site.. go to the FAQ<br><br>http://www.1ctc.com/services/fueltax.html<br><br>Haulin in Dixie.. - im a little confused on your statement &quot;You have more than three axles so you will need IRP plates regardless of the weight and that is federal.&quot; The 3 or more axle requirement refers to the power unit only. (link to the NJ irp website that list the requirements for an apportioned vehicle http://www.state.nj.us/mvs/truck/irp/faq.htm ) The definations are the same for all jurisdictions/states though.. To my understanding the states not the Feds enforce IRP.. Or am i misunderstanding what you meant...<br><br>Although Pappyman may not meet the gross weight/axle requirements for IRP - I think he still have to be apportioned in the states you do business in since some states have their own requirements registration. I do know that VA apportions vehicles under IRP that do not meet the IRP terms of an apportioned vehicle for such reasons..<br><br><br><br><br>
Old 11-21-2002, 08:41 PM

I have not tried to reference it in law, but Alabama DOT told me that I had to have IRP when pulling a three axle trailer. Believe the law is three or more axles. The trailer is considered a motor vehicle by FMCSA rules. I have seen that in the definations. I know that they are looking at it as a combination vehicle is a &quot;motor vehicle&quot; I grumbled about it and reconciled to it.