Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Carlisle trailer tires....did I buy a bomb with a short fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005 | 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carlisle's SUCK!!

I just blew two of them three days ago crossing the country. One was at the Ohio border and the next one was on the Indy beltway at rush hour. I went straight to a tire shop the next day and got rid of the rest of the Carlisle's on the trailer (obviously not many left...) and went with Marathons. I think I will write Carlisle a nasty letter about how they put my family and trailer in danger.
Old 06-07-2005 | 10:34 PM
Banned

I've had Carlisle, but mostly Marathons on 4 of our T.T., not impressed with either one. Had too many blowouts with good tires(tandem axles), and all with proper air pressures, all blew in the heat towing on hiway (tough to hold straight and then change on side of road). All were C or D rated which is just at borderline of weight carrying capacity RIGHT from the factory. Cannot seem to get more than 3+years on a new full set. Switched to Maxxis" D "have had very good luck so far(higher load rating). Next new Trailer will have 16" rims and minimum E tires or higher BEFORE I hand over cheque. Has anyone had good luck with LT tires on T.T. or 5'er instead of ST tires?
Old 06-11-2005 | 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just picked up my Dad's new heavy duty tag along equipment trailer. And guess what, the trailer is equipped with Carlisle 7.5x16LT E rated tires.
Fingers crossed again.

MikeyB
Old 06-12-2005 | 11:55 AM

I've had 3 of 4 to develop big bulges on the side wall. Get rid of them!!!!!

I've read about the were the problem started. Carlise tires were selling so many that they coudn't keep up with demand. Carlise contracted Goodyear to produce some of there trailer tires. These are the tires that are failing!!! Goodyear manufactured the defective tires for Carlise.

I read this in the RV World magizine.
Old 06-24-2005 | 11:03 AM

Angry Don't Go With Carlisle!

I had 3 tires blowout last year on my Gulfstream Conquest with Carlisle tires. Replaced every one of them and State Farm paid out a few thousand to repair the damage. You are sitting on a time bomb and the results can be dangerous or even potentially deadly. I'd get rid of the tires and go back to Goodyears.
Old 06-24-2005 | 02:43 PM

Thats just Great!!
I knew I had seen the name Carlisle around my house before!... I JUST bought a used diesel powered "Light Tower" trailer and guess what??? Yep! You guessed it! A pair of them!
This thing had probably never seen much over 25-30mph in its former life.. I WON'T be taking this thing on the road until I do something about them.

Who makes/owns Carlisle tires? China? It seems they must be untouchable by all the myriad of tire failure attorneys that are getting rich off of every underinflated, mistreated Goodyear or Firestone tire.
Even if some ARE made by Goodyear, they are still being made according to Carlisle's specifications!
Garbage in=garbage out.

Keith
Old 06-24-2005 | 02:50 PM

With this many complaints, surely someone has a lawsuit going by now...
Old 06-25-2005 | 10:48 PM

Funny thing is I just read in an RV magazine last month that Carlisle now makes an E rating in the 15 inch size. The guy had just put them on his RV and would report back on them later, he was a regular contributor to the magazine too. Makes me wonder what kind of report he will be making!
Old 06-26-2005 | 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I have to chime in on the other side of the equation. I bought 5 new Carlisle ST205R75/15 load range C tires for my 16' car hauler 4+ years ago and I've been very happy with them. I've had 2 flats due to nails and have made a number of cross-country trips with the trailer as well as lots of local use. Just in the last year, I've noticed that the tires are now starting to wear poorly (lots of irregular inside edge wear) but I think that may be due to trailer to some extent. I don't know what brand I'll go with when I replace them this summer but I can't fault the service that I've gotten out of this set of Carlisles.

Just showing the other side of the coin.
Old 06-29-2005 | 10:52 AM

I've had a 21ft 10,000lb gvw flatbed for 3 years....you guessed it a set of 4 Carlisle ST/225 D15 load range D's I aways haul at the limit of the trailer and tires. I read threads like this and cringe....I hauled 4tons of hay 300miles last weekend, parked it in the machine shed to keep it dry..went out lastnight to move it with the tractor and it didn't move well!! Looked and it had a flat! Picked up a nail on the way home...but didn't hurt the tire!!! They seem to run warmer than the truck tires. Heat and under inflated will kill any tire. They are doing great for me. So far! Had Marathons on a differnt trailer and they were good also....