Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Carlisle trailer tires....did I buy a bomb with a short fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carlisle trailer tires....did I buy a bomb with a short fuse?

What's your experiences with Carlisle trailer tires. My 24ft enclosed had Goodyear Marathons on it and they served me well, but I was out of town and needed tires asap. I ended up with Carlisle which I didn't know much about, but on a racing web board I frequent I'm hearing quite a few negative things about them. Any one here have some experience good or bad about them? Mine are the "D" rated ones since I only have 15" wheels.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, they are a timebomb!! Get rid of them ASAP. Every single set of Carlisle trailer tires I know of and have heard about have failed. And no I'm not talking about two or three sets, I personally have seen or heard of literally hundreds of cases. It's all over the RV forums, trailer forums, etc. etc. etc. also. My latest personal experience was on a friend's flatbed trailer, factory equipped with Carlisle's, chucking tread on the freeway on our way to Moab. Luckily we saw the tread seperation while fueling up and were able to get the spare tire on and limp the rest of the way to Moab, but another few miles and it could have been a handful... Anyhow, I believe the general consensus is that Carlisle trailer tires = trouble.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Same here! I have an open race car trailer with tool box using 235/75R-15 Load Range D, so it's definitely not overloaded. No unusual problems with the other brands, but Carlisle's seem to come apart on a regular basis and still have plenty of tread on them! Actually I use "off-brands" recommended by friends who own a tire store and race also.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Lest we forget

Tires

My new Laredo came with Mission tires on it. Told dealer I would not buy trailer until they put on Goodyears, which they did. Any off brand are no good. Besides I never heard of Mission tires either. waam Holland, Mich.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:05 PM

load range D I have 4 load range E tires

14K goosneck equipment hauler.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:12 PM

i have been buyin carlie for over 2yrs now at the tire shop down the street. i blow at least 2 a season towing my 13000# 32' 5er to glamis about 200miles each way. the load range i kept blowing was the d so i stepped it up to e and have not had any problems with them yet. i was in the shop last week for a car and while waiting asked the sales boy if they ever have a problem with the carlies and he said all the time. i then looked at him like this and this and and said what the flip do u keep selling them to me for then and he replyied that they are alot cheaper. i then told him id rather pay for the good stuff than be on the side of the road with cheap stuff and said if u see me in here again i will be asking for a discount on the good stuff for my time on the road.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another bad brand is Dayton. I had seven of them on the trailer new. Six of them shucked the cap. One made it to wear out.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Last year installed a set of Carlisle 7.5x15" bias ply trailer tires on one of the tandem axle trailers. So far no problems other than having to use over a pound of weights to get them to balance. Fingers are crossed though.....

MikeyB
Old 05-12-2005, 11:56 AM

I have Carlisle tires on my 03 Aerolite (5klbs loaded), got about 6000+ miles on them, no problems so far. One trip was 3000 miles to Wyoming and back. I also keep the max tire pressure in them at all times. hummm...
Old 05-19-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought an 18 ft tandem axle car hauler last year that had Carlisle tires, don't recall size but they're cheap bias ply tires, and so far haven't had any problems. After getting the trailer and not being familiar with the tire brand I did some 'Net searchs for info and also found several comments to the affect that even almost new tires were coming apart. I didn't have the time or money to replace them with better tires and made 2 trips from south-central Colorado to NE Oklahoma and then from there to West Palm Beach, FL and back (unloaded going and loaded returning) and fortunately they've held together.

One thing I have noticed too is they really seem to have a lot of rolling resistance, more than I thought they would even for bias ply tires. Once I'm gainfully employed and settled again (Lord when will that happen?) I want to replace them with some decent radial tires of a different brand.

Steve
Old 05-19-2005, 08:45 PM

carlisle's BLOW...
Scott
Old 05-19-2005, 09:06 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Carlisle is the worst. I had to replace two of them within 100 miles of each other on a camping trip 2 years ago. I was alone, in the middle of nowhere because my family had flown back to NC. I was staying a couple days longer to visit friends, and do some work etc. Well, on the way home, I had to replace one because of had a huge bulge in it on the side. 4 hours later, one of them on the other side came apart and did damage to my trailer. I had to stay in the gas station parking lot overnight in St. Louis. The tire guy came the next day and replaced all four of them with Goodyear trailer tires. Get rid of those things.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I blew two of the Carlisle's on my 35ft tandem axle boat trailer, I agree, do your self a favor and avoid them. They came apart and I got lucky enough both times to see a chunk of rubber fly off in the mirrors, before the boat took any real damage.

Another mile or two and I would have had a submarine instead of a boat
Old 05-20-2005, 01:19 PM

Had a woman come up to me at a highway rest stop last summer. I was pulling a 30 foot TT, so she thought I might know something.

-All four- Carlisle tires on her TT had big bulges in the sidewalls. Two of them were starting to peel tread. She wanted to know if her husband ought to replace them. They'd been arguing, he said no, she wasn't so sure.

I told her to buy four new tires, buy another husband, or buy a coffin, her choice.

No Carlisle unless you're suicidal. Not the first time I've seen them do that.

Quick Reply: Carlisle trailer tires....did I buy a bomb with a short fuse?