Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Car Hauler Preference (BP or GN)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Hauler Preference (BP or GN)?

Just found out from the folks that my mother is finally joining my dad in retirement. They now want to get out of the snow for 3 months out of the year. My dad has a sort of rare late '70s Lincoln Town Car convertible (a brick with wheels ) that he would like to have at his disposal here in Texas. The thing is a tank and they do not want to drive it half way across the country. I volunteered to drag his car down (wooo whooo, I might finally be able to justify the diesel after all ). I have been looking at buying an enclosed car hauler. It comes down to the bumper pull or gooseneck (probably one of the "A-frame" type GN's as I have a short box). I do not have any experience with a trailer that large. What are ya'lls thoughts and opinions on the bumper pull versus a GN for stability, ease of use and the many other things that I probably have not even thought about?
Thanks.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Car Hauler Preference (BP or GN)?

If 'ya don't really want to buy a trailer, check your local U-haul for a transporter (All wheels up) trailer.<br>I've used them on several occasions. <br>They've always towed very well behind the truck.<br>Check the trailer out real close, double check behind the guy who hooks it up to your truck and go.<br>Drop it off when you're done. ;D
Old 06-30-2003, 09:56 AM

Thanks Ed,<br>The first time we bring the &quot;brick down&quot;, it probably will be on a rental trailer (if they make one that will hold approx. 3 tons). We used Ryder when we moved here from PA. They said they did not offer a trailer heavy duty enough to haul my '97 1500 4x4 on (about 3 ton, I think). <br>I really would like to buy one though. My hobby is off-road motorcycling, and although a car hauler is overkill for hauling the bikes around, it would be very handy. Where I ride, I see people pull up in enclosed trailers with air conditioners, beds, motorcycles, picnic tables all their gear etc. etc. etc. This would be my &quot;camper&quot; as well. <br>
Old 06-30-2003, 10:36 AM

Called U-Haul and Budget, neither of them have a hauler that will tow the Lincoln. Guess they just don't make 'em like they used to.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GN all the way baby. I got a dump trailer that is BP and I am going to get it converted to GN also. I hate to even hook up to it any more.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:44 PM

DD4X4,<br>Thanks for the input, I kind of assumed that most people would say GN.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:11 AM

where do they live? PA? When do they plan on coming down? I have to make a trip down there later this month or very early August, I'll have an empty trailer for the trip down.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:07 AM

Rob,<br>Thank you for the offer. However, they won't be coming here until Jan '04. They want to be winter Texans for about 3 months out of the year.<br>BTW, they live outside Erie (Far NW corner, I call it southern Canada). <br><br>Thanks again,<br>Rob
Old 07-01-2003, 09:09 AM

The gn will be a lot more stable and easier to pull. Just be careful when turning sharp with the short box
Old 07-02-2003, 06:42 PM

If you are thinking of popping for a hauler/camper for your bikes there are some that are exactly that - a camper with a clamshell rear for loading bikes, ATVs, etc. Don't know brands but I have seen them and they look like a neat trick. Only seen BP ones though, and like DD4X4, I will not haul weight unless it is strapped to my GN.<br><br>You can customize a car hauler with all kinds of extra side doors, cabinets, gensets, water tanks, etc. All it takes is $$$$. <br><br>I helped restore a 66 Lincoln Convertible - 4 door with suicide rear doors. Completely filled our booth for too many months. You will need a minimum 22' enclosed - 24' would be better. 20' flat deck would probably work with the rear hanging out. Just be careful of the balance on the trailer. Them things weigh a bunch (probably closer to 7K) and are not as front-loaded as they look. Balance is tricky with that much weight and that much wheelbase. Good luck....
Old 07-02-2003, 08:22 PM

Thanks redramnc,
After thinking about this for a while, I have decided not to get a GN big enough to haul his car. The vehicle is almost 20' long. I figure I need a trailer that has about 24' interior length. That puts me in a 28-30' GN. That is too much trailer to buy to only really need twice a year.
The wiser choices here are to A) buy a trailer tailored to my hobby and B) rent a flatbed for towing his car.
Those trailers that combine a &quot;garage&quot; in the back and living quarters up front are awesome. They might be the same overall length as an empty car hauler, but it is a better use of space for my needs.
Some links to those types of trailers:

Pace Explorer

Weekend Warrior
The Weekendwarrior brand has a 5er in their lineup.

Roadmaster Campmaster
Old 07-03-2003, 05:11 AM

Hotdram,<br> I am about an hour from Erie, if you need the Lincoln hauled give me a shout. I have an 18' flatbed we could throw the car on and get it to Texas for your parents. Some food for thought.<br><br>Tiny
Old 07-03-2003, 08:12 AM

Tiny,<br>Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind as one of our options. Appreciate it.<br><br>Rob
Old 08-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Banned

I've pulled both, and I have to say I love the gooseneck's. they track so much better, and are much easier to back into tight places. They are heavier, and cost more, so it might be a case of what can you afford? My first couple trailers were tags, so I've been there. But it kind of like getting a dodge, gas or diesel?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:44 PM

A flat bed gooseneck is what you want. You can find used ones cheap and will meet your needs.

Quick Reply: Car Hauler Preference (BP or GN)?