Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Can someone clear up a ball & pintle hitch for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not surprised that Mr. Catlin didn't want to use an abused & broken coupler - of whatever design!

We hear you loud & clear that you don't care what anyone uses, but some of us DO, since our knowledge & experience can help other people out from time to time.

Bulldogs couplers are the industry standard - not necessarily the last word in strength, function or design, but they ARE the benchmark for all the rest, and for good reason.
We are interested to know about this other type of coupler you prefer over the venerable bulldog - perhaps you've stumbled onto something that could benefit the rest of us?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hitch

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I'm not surprised that Mr. Catlin didn't want to use an abused & broken coupler - of whatever design!

We hear you loud & clear that you don't care what anyone uses, but some of us DO, since our knowledge & experience can help other people out from time to time.

Bulldogs couplers are the industry standard - not necessarily the last word in strength, function or design, but they ARE the benchmark for all the rest, and for good reason.
We are interested to know about this other type of coupler you prefer over the venerable bulldog - perhaps you've stumbled onto something that could benefit the rest of us?
The hitch is or was new not broken , used only once. I bought it at widlake brothers in Bowie tx. BULLDOG DESIGN now you know the type. I am sure you build a good trailer, so use what makes you happy Jim
Old 09-20-2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by jimk
I will take some flame here but I sheared the pin in the bull dog hitch that holds the halfs together. That is the last one for me. I found anough type that works better for me. Jim
I am not saying not use a bully dog hitch, I just dont use them any more. Not because of the experince but from what I saw, how the hitch was made after the fact. Jim
The other day a fellow down the road from me saw the bulldog hitch that was 2 5/16 sitting in a pile of scrap metal. I had cut off the hitch and installed anougher type on my trailer.
The hitch is still sitting in the same pile of scrap metal. If MR Catlin changes his mind the hitch will still be there in the pile of scrap. Jim
The hitch is or was new not broken , used only once. I bought it at widlake brothers in Bowie tx. BULLDOG DESIGN now you know the type. Jim
Sounds like it was abused, broken, cut-off & thrown on the scrap pile; now you're trying to throw it under the bus...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

hitch

Sounds like it was abused, broken, cut-off & thrown on the scrap pile; now you're trying to throw it under the bus...
OK I bought the hitch because it was cheap, Jack at Widlake gave me a deal on it. I replaced the hitch on a trailer that my brother had and he did not wont a 2 5/16 hitch on a small trailer.So I had to cut it back off and buy anougher. Swaping back and forth from 2 to 2 5/16 . Any way I never said not to buy a Bull Dog hitch, I only said that I had a problem with a hitch many years ago. The hitch did get tested on the back hoe trailer, it was not bent up, just sheared the pin. I dont know how old the hitch was or how it had been used before.
If I dont buy or use them that is my bussiness. I dont own a buss. You are right about being cut of with a torch. If I dont wont a bull dog hitch what is the big deal. I dont make excusses for replacement, or a blanket excuse for the falure if someone wonts a replacement. Nothing personal, it is just a hitch Jim
Old 09-20-2006, 01:06 PM

Methinks he doth protest too much
Old 09-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned

trailer parts

Methinks he doth protest too much
Yea you are probably right. Can you still buy trailer parts in Azle, what was the name Quality, it has been a long time ago. There is or was a couple of places that sold axles, and all kind of trailer parts for a big savings. They supply for a lot of parts for many different brands of trailers.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Methinks you should stop argueing with him before this gets locked or deleted. His opinion is HIS, and your opinion is YOURS, so let it be.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire9137
Methinks you should stop argueing with him before this gets locked or deleted. His opinion is HIS, and your opinion is YOURS, so let it be.
Don't you understand? Opinions ARE the problem; a serious failure such as jimk experienced requires that the facts come to light - no one else wants to repeat THAT mechanical!

Arguing? (Please!)
Old 09-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Yea you are probably right. Can you still buy trailer parts in Azle, what was the name Quality, it has been a long time ago. There is or was a couple of places that sold axles, and all kind of trailer parts for a big savings. They supply for a lot of parts for many different brands of trailers.
There's many places to buy trailer parts in N TX - Quality is one of the better ones.

At the risk of sounding like I'm "arguing" ( ) to some of the more sensitive types on this thread, I'm still interested to know what design/style/brand of coupler you prefer over the bulldog design. I always use the best of what's available, so I might like yours even better.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:42 AM

Jimk

I would also like know which hitch you say is better. You keep saying you have a better hitch, well I think we would all like to know which one it is!

Thanks, Aaron
Old 09-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Banned

hitch

Originally Posted by apwatson50
Jimk

I would also like know which hitch you say is better. You keep saying you have a better hitch, well I think we would all like to know which one it is!

Thanks, Aaron
Aaron, thanks for the reply. I reread my post an I must have missed the part where I said that I have a better hitch. I thought that I said that I dont use them. Use what suits your needs as that is what I do. I am NOT going to be play anougher mans game. Thanks anyway Jim
Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 PM

Aaron, thanks for the reply. I reread my post an I must have missed the part where I said that I have a better hitch. I thought that I said that I dont use them. Use what suits your needs as that is what I do. I am NOT going to be play anougher mans game. Thanks anyway Jim
Sorry, I guess you didn't specifically say you have a better hitch, but when you say you don't use the bulldog type hitch you use a different hitch then you imply that you have a better hitch that you use. And we would all just like to know which type of hitch you prefer, mayber there is a hitch better than the bulldog that we should all be using. We are all just sharing ideas and trying to gain more knowledge here.

So anyways which type of hitch do you prefer to use?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:35 PM

I will take some flame here but I sheared the pin in the bull dog hitch that holds the halfs together. That is the last one for me. I found anough type that works better for me. Jim
I reread my post an I must have missed the part where I said that I have a better hitch. I thought that I said that I dont use them. Jim
Originally Posted by apwatson50
Sorry, I guess you didn't specifically say you have a better hitch, but when you say you don't use the bulldog type hitch you use a different hitch then you imply that you have a better hitch that you use. And we would all just like to know which type of hitch you prefer, mayber there is a hitch better than the bulldog that we should all be using. We are all just sharing ideas and trying to gain more knowledge here.

So anyways which type of hitch do you prefer to use?
..........?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Ok Guys, looks to me like we have reached an impasse. Lets all play nice.....