Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Can someone clear up a ball & pintle hitch for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone clear up a ball & pintle hitch for me?

Im finally going to be towing things more regularly (light-medium ball trailers), and am probably going to buy a rapid hitch.

Ive seen the ball and pintle design, does this work with regular ball coupler trailers to hold them on better, or is it still specific to pintles?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Timmay2
Im finally going to be towing things more regularly (light-medium ball trailers), and am probably going to buy a rapid hitch.

Ive seen the ball and pintle design, does this work with regular ball coupler trailers to hold them on better, or is it still specific to pintles?
I have a 2 5/16th ball/pintle combo and when you are using the ball you leave the top (pintle part) open. When using it as a pintle hitch (top part closed & locked) there would not be enuf gap to have a round coupler attached.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by packard8
I have a 2 5/16th ball/pintle combo and when you are using the ball you leave the top (pintle part) open. When using it as a pintle hitch (top part closed & locked) there would not be enuf gap to have a round coupler attached.

Exactly what he said...

I have a 2 inch ball and pintle combination and it works really well for my needs. I do suggest tho, that if you are going to pull pintle trailers more often than coupler trailers a dedicated pintle is ur best bet. The dual purpose work well, they are just a bit too jerky with the ball pintle setup...

Hopefully this photo will help to clear up what Packard stated earlier..

Rick
Old 09-11-2006, 02:48 PM

Ok thanks.

I dont plan on pulling pintles at all.. I just thought if the pintle/ball combo held down over the coupler would help out on bumpy situations then id get that.

Ill just get a regular rapid hitch then.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:15 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

If better hitch security is what you are after, take a good close look at the coupler on Texasdiesel007's picture, above.

If I am seeing right, that is what I always called a "bulldog" hitch.

They are far superior to those more common flip-over-to-lock type hitches that are seen on most trailers.

On a "bulldog" coupler, there is a spring-loaded sliding sleeve that slides over the halves of the hitch, once the coupler is over the ball.

There is no way for this type coupler to come un-coupled.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BearKiller

If better hitch security is what you are after, take a good close look at the coupler on Texasdiesel007's picture, above.

They are far superior to those more common flip-over-to-lock type hitches that are seen on most trailers.

On a "bulldog" coupler, there is a spring-loaded sliding sleeve that slides over the halves of the hitch, once the coupler is over the ball.

Right on the nose bearkiller...

Bulldog couplers are standard on all of our trailers for that reason.

Rick
Old 09-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

hitch

Originally Posted by BearKiller

I will take some flame here but I sheared the pin in the bull dog hitch that holds the halfs together. That is the last one for me. I found anough type that works better for me. Good luck on what ever you use Jim
Old 09-18-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimk
I will take some flame here but I sheared the pin in the bull dog hitch that holds the halfs together. That is the last one for me. I found anough type that works better for me. Good luck on what ever you use Jim
Hmmm - I've never heard of THAT happening on a Bulldog coupler... every trailer I've ever built gets a Bulldog unless it's a GN.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimk
How did you shear it?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 AM

Hey Mike,

Keep your head down, brother!

Folks back home love ya.

Pass it on to all of the other heroes in country...

Mike
Old 09-18-2006, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Hey Mike,

Keep your head down, brother!

Folks back home love ya.

Pass it on to all of the other heroes in country...

Mike
Thanks Mike!

I appreciate it!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Marine
How did you shear it?
Pulling a back hoe and it was a rodeo. Anyway I learned from that. It was 20 years ago. Not enough tongue weight. I had a 3/4 ton and should have had a 1 ton dual wheel truck and three axle trailer instead of a two axle trailer. IT was not a wreck or any thing like that but real close.
I am not saying not use a bully dog hitch, I just dont use them any more. Not because of the experince but from what I saw, how the hitch was made after the fact. Use what ever makes you feel good. Jim
Old 09-18-2006, 12:56 PM

I think any hitch can fail with not enough tongue weight.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:16 PM

The whole reason we use nothing BUT bulldog couplers is because of our experience with the other types!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

hitch

Originally Posted by XLR8R
The whole reason we use nothing BUT bulldog couplers is because of our experience with the other types!
Every one seems to have an idea of what to use. The other day a fellow down the road from me saw the bulldog hitch that was 2 5/16 sitting in a pile of scrap metal. I had cut off the hitch and installed anougher type on my trailer.
I offered to give it to MR. Catlin an he said that I may need it some day. HE owns several ranches and other propertys. The hitch is still sitting in the same pile of scrap metal. Use what ever makes you feel good. It is not personal to me as I could not care what anyone uses. If MR Catlin changes his mind the hitch will still be there in the pile of scrap. Jim

Quick Reply: Can someone clear up a ball & pintle hitch for me?