Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Buying a trailer in US to bring back to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a trailer in US to bring back to Canada

Hey folks;

Need some guidance, I am thinking of buying a used trailer in the US and bringing it back to Canada, it looks from my research on the web that I can get 50% more trailer for the same money even considering exchange rate and cost of Diesel to get there and back.

I will have someone locally look at the trailer for us if we go that route, but what else do I have to be aware of? Probably will have to pay GST? Any registration issues to deal with ?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 AM

I haul 4 car trailers for a guy...we just leave them at the border(on this side) they pick them up...we haul them up on a dealer plate...I don't know what your side does
Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 PM

bringing stuff across the border might be a pain, but for personal use, it might be different than business related items. I know my brother had all kinds of problems bringing in a pump motor for one of their rigs. Stuff you might want to look into.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How would they know you bought it in the US unless you told them, the license plate? If so, just pay the seller to deliver it to the nearest town on your side of the border.

Maybe they'd get you anyway at the DMV when you go to register it. I dunno.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Several years ago I brought one into Canada, & it was a pita.. First I had to make sure that the trailer fell into the eligibility category to be brought into Canada, this is with the registrar of imported motor vehicles, then I had to check with US customs that the trailer was eligible to be exported,( I guess they check that it's not a stolen one, & that it's not wanted for being used in illegal activities, etc, etc). After I had clearance from them I had to check & get a letter from the manufacturer that there are no recalls, & if there were , they have been fixed.. after that, once I got it into Canada, I had to get it inspected for CSA approvals, that was for all appliances, TV, Microwave, stove, radio, etc. etc. because all electrical appliances must be CSA approved. Now again I'm talking several years back, but it maybe safe just to inquire first anyway.. It would be a bummer to get to the border, & then be held up because of Registrar, etc.. And yes there was GST, plus my provincial sales tax, before I could plate it.. At the time I had to pay for the inspection fee to have everything CSA approved.. A bunch of garbage, but nonetheless I had to get it done.. Sure don't know what happened to the free trade we're supposed to have... Good Luck, & I hope they have laxed the import laws by now, & maybe taking it into Alta will be different..
Old 05-30-2007, 04:31 PM

After some future investigation, it appears like I can buy in Manitoba for close to the same price as US.

Gotta hate this Alberta advantage economy, everything here is 20% to 50% more used. I have seen 25 year old trailers trying to be sold for 13K, and the worst part is people are buying them. Went to look at a trailer 1 week ago, 1984 24 ft trailer, didn't know it was that year until we saw it, but the guy wanted 12.5k for it, we left and thought lets offer him 5k cash, cause it was a clean trailer. Well when I called him back it was sold already for 12K.

Next door neighbor was looking at a truck here in edmonton, used for 35k, ended up flying to Winnipeg and getting the same truck, less mileage, better condition for 27k.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:41 PM

I bought a boat and trailer in the US and brought them back to Canada. No problem at all! check out www.riv.ca for the details.

I needed an ownership, bill of sale, VIN plate on the trailer that could be read easily and a letter from the manufacturer stating that there were no outstanding safety recalls on the trailer. Pay the taxes at the border, get a FORM1 and get it inspected (free) at any Canadian Tire.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:58 PM
DRD

I bought my TT new in Montana a few years ago and imported it. Nothing to it, the customs people didn't even come out and look at it. Just have your paperwork in order as outlined on the RIV website and you will sail right through. I've had more trouble bringing a case of beer back than I did the trailer. I will not buy another TT in Canada until the dealers up here start to deal.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A friend just saved $30,000 on his brand new, $130,000 motorhome by buying it in Manitoba. The Calgary dealers are gouging royally! But then who isn't gouging in Calgary right now?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
A friend just saved $30,000 on his brand new, $130,000 motorhome by buying it in Manitoba. The Calgary dealers are gouging royally! But then who isn't gouging in Calgary right now?
Gotta love livin' where the dinosaurs died!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 PM

I believe there is a BIG difference in bringing new or used stuff into Canada. I used to transport new campers into Canada commercially. I know there was an issue with used seat cushions & mattresses. They were not allowed in with trailer and had to be shipped separately with other inspections.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 AM

My next TT will be bought in the US for sure.

But why are we still buying trucks in Canada, check the new prices in US.

Heading down to Texas in 3 weeks to pick up my neighbours new MegaCab.

Still looking for a TT needing a tow North !