Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Buying a trailer out of state question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a trailer out of state question?

I am looking at a enclosed trailer in GA and im from PA my question is what happens when i go to pick it up and tow it home do i have to get a registration from pa before i go down or will they give me some kind of temp. plate while im there. i plan on calling the place to find out. just wanted to see what your experiences were.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 PM

If you are buying it new, you will get a temp tag from the dealer. Depending on the state you are buying it from, you may or may not pay sales tax to the dealer. In Ohio, you don't pay the sales tax to the dealer you pay it when you get back and get a permanent registration. Not sure about GA. Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 PM

where in georgia , i am leaving to nite to go get a 32 fifth wheel in douglas i am in fla they told me they would give me the build slip and a temp tag so i could get registered in fla. what kind of trailer are you getting
Old 02-22-2008, 12:49 PM

If it's new, the dealer should be able to give you a temp tag good for a few days. You will probably have to pay a small fee. Call the dealer and ask.

If it's a private party, you will probably have to go to the Georgia DMV, or whatever is their equivalent, and get the tag yourself. You will probably have to have the bill of sale in hand. It may have to be notarized. Like the dealer, call them and ask.

BTW, if it's a new trailer and you buy from a dealer, make certain that he gives you the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. It's the equivalent of a title. You will need it to register and title it back home. He might not be used to giving them to customers, if most of his sales are to locals.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:51 PM

Ga Trailers

I just bought a trailer in GA (Baxley) about a month ago and have delivered a few trailers from there. I didn't pay any tax. I got a temp tag for most, though one I delivered I only got the purchase paperwork.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my trailer I did not get any temp tag, I got a bill of sale and the title. When I got home I went to the DMV and got my temp tag and paid taxes then. As long as you have proof of purchasing it recently with you it should be fine if you don't have a tag. I did not get pulled over but if I did I would have been fine. I bought my trailer manufacturer direct in Missouri and drive home to Illinois (~250 miles).
Old 02-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL
When I bought my trailer I did not get any temp tag, I got a bill of sale and the title. When I got home I went to the DMV and got my temp tag and paid taxes then. As long as you have proof of purchasing it recently with you it should be fine if you don't have a tag. I did not get pulled over but if I did I would have been fine. I bought my trailer manufacturer direct in Missouri and drive home to Illinois (~250 miles).
Either you got lucky or the states you were driving in don't require temp tags. Most do.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 PM

I believe if you buy used you have up to 15 days to get plates or tabs.
Usually a bill of sale will do the job and if you get pulled over you can prove ownership.
Buying new, the dealer has to issue a temp permit.

Many states differ for this, check the ones you'll be driving through.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM

In Mass. as Confucious say: "No Plateee- No drivee" Dont ask me how I know.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 PM

This is to the folks in Fla i just got home from georgia last nite with my new enclosed trailer. I did not pay sales tax in georgia. will I have to pay sales tax this week when i go to register it?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:00 PM

thanks for the info guys! and reddawg i know if i buy a trailer or car/truck out of state i pay for the tax in pa when i register it i would think fl. is the same
Old 02-24-2008, 08:12 PM

One other thing to look at is the inspection requirements in GA...

Here in PA a trailer can only be 102" wide and must have brakes on ALL axles if registered over 4k...you also need clips on your safety chains and must have a brake break away kit if brakes are required...

I only tell you this because a friend of mine bought a trailer out of state only to get it home and find out it was totally illegal in PA but was legal in the state he bought it...