Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Which brake controller should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Top
Whats the cost on a brakesmart controller compaired to the Prodigy?

Thanks
Glenn
Old 07-04-2004, 05:48 PM
db

I considered a brakesmart untill I saw the price & complexity of the wire adapter needed (over $100) So in went the Prodigy. I wanted the ability to easily change it from one truck to another so it was the best choice for ME. One thing I liked is the simple quick release mount system that it comes with. It is so easily removable that it comes with its own carrying case. Another thing that I like about it is it knows when your going up hill vrs. down & will lead or lag the trailer brakes accordingly. It also has a 'hold' feature when going O mph.
Added bonus--If you have a 2 tone grey interior like I do then the colors match really well as the Prodigy is also 2 tone grey.
I also thought that the more presice control that I would of gotten from the current sensitive (amp reactive) Brakesmart isn't as much of a issue with the extra control I get from an exaust brake in slowing the downhill speed so effectively.
Even though that the Prodigy offers more control than any other controller I've used (very user freindly) I think that the more comlex design features of the other two would have a greater range of sensitivity.
So if I didn't need the easy in and out feature Or have an exhaust brake then the more permanent mounted jordan Or brake smart would have been the way to go.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by db
I considered a brakesmart untill I saw the price & complexity of the wire adapter needed (over $100) So in went the Prodigy.
Hmmm....Mine just plugs in to the existing trailer wiring circuit. though you do have to install the sensor on the master cylinder, simple procedure though.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by tankeryanker
Hey Top
Whats the cost on a brakesmart controller compaired to the Prodigy?

Thanks
Glenn
I am not certain what the Prodigy is going for. You can check out the price of the unit here; http://www.brakesmart.net/
Old 07-05-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys are right, 99 not 199
Old 07-05-2004, 10:41 AM

Looking at buying the Jordan unit but have two questions.

Does the electrical hook into the existing trailering wiring harness adapter (like my old cheapo controller does)?

I read somewhere that you need to unhook the controller if not using it. Is this a matter of just unplugging the wiring harness, and detaching the box from the mounting bracket? What about the brake pedal sensor - do you disconnect it too; and, if so, how easy is that?
Old 07-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Banned

have a brake smart......they are way too finiky and fussy and a pain in the butt
Old 07-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by nailzsn
Looking at buying the Jordan unit but have two questions.

Does the electrical hook into the existing trailering wiring harness adapter (like my old cheapo controller does)?

I read somewhere that you need to unhook the controller if not using it. Is this a matter of just unplugging the wiring harness, and detaching the box from the mounting bracket? What about the brake pedal sensor - do you disconnect it too; and, if so, how easy is that?
Jordan plugs in just like Prodigy. The difference electrically, is the Jordan does not monitor the tail light circuit and send that surge when it senses the tail lights are coming on. The sensing wire connects to a bracket high on the brake pedal, or, if you have adjustable pedals, on the servo. Disconnecting is simply removing a small module that holds the wire from that bracket - - takes all of 4 seconds. This saves wear on the wire sleeve. The basic unit stays mounted.

The difference in operation is quite simple - - no surge to the trailer brakes - - the brakes on the trailer are applied in the same proportion as the truck brakes. If you simply set your foot on the brake pedal, activate the brake light, yet have not yet applied any braking, the trailer will not brake. Jordan holds the brakes on the trailer in the same amount as the truck brakes are being applied on a hill. Everything on the trailer is a direct response to the "POSITION" of the truck brake pedal.

Very smooth operation - - no glitches - - no surprises as I had experienced with my Prodigy.