Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Which Brake Controller?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 09:39 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:Which Brake Controller?

4x4,

Don't have pics, but I saw it done on an 01. The secret is to keep the cable as long as possible and have large even curves or loops, no sharp bends. I was told there is quite a bit of room back there in spite of the AC ductwork. It just is not as handy to get at it without looking for it in case of an emergency where you might want to hit the override or quickly adjust the gain. The one I saw had a bracket dropped down from the dash framing to hold the clip for the end of the sheath. You could not see it unless you had your head down under the dash. Very neat installation.

I mounted my unit on the panel under the steering wheel. Very straight shot on the control wire, easy to see and easy to adjust. You can see a pic of it under my photo album, page 10, the one marked E Brake - - you will see the Jordan lurking in the background.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed(actually a re-install of a botched trailer sales lot-electrician wanna-be :) a Hoppy's Impulse (auto zone) I think I'll like it pretty good. It's better than any controller I've had so far. Granted, I havent bought one in several years. It's replacing a Kelsey. Hoppy's has a digital output readout, fault codes, and usual manual slide. Good to go so far, time will tell.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:08 PM
4x4
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great tips Fiver. Checked out the album, clean looking install on all your goodies. Obvious that you take great pride in your ride.<br><br>I was thinking about replacing the ashtray (don't smoke) with some kind of panel and mount the controller and a few switches there. That should put the controller at your finger tips and be tucked out of the way. Anyone done something similar?