Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Which Brake Controller?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Brake Controller?

I am looking at getting either a Jordan or Prodigy brake controller. I do not do a lot of towing but if I do the weights could be anywhere from 5k to 13k. <br>I like the way the Jordan is hooked with a direct link to the braking system, but not sure about the little cable that is attatched to the brake peddle. Has anyone had any problems with the wire sticking in the sheath? Appears to me that this would be the weak point. I also like the small frame on the Jordan.<br>The prodigy seems to have its advantages with no mechanical connections to break and ease of installation/removal and ability to move from truck to truck. I'm just not sure that i like the way the electronics guess at what I am doing with my brakes. Also, is the Prodigy a larger (in size) controller than the Jordan?<br>As the Jordan is about $139 and I can get the prodigy for about $125 price is NOT a consideration.<br><br>Thanks for any Feed back.<br>Duane.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:42 AM
Chapter President

Re:Which Brake Controller?

If you feel that way about....guess at what I am doing with my brakes.....then the Jordan is the only controller that has a mechanical link to braking so your choice is ez between the two
Old 03-21-2003, 07:40 AM

Pappyman is right; if you feel that way about the electronic guessing at what you are doing, go with the Jordan. I can't tell from your sig where you live, but here in Texas we raely get any bad road conditions, so I have run with the Voyager controller and had very good luck. However, I will say that if the road conditions indicate ice or snow, I stay put until the roads clear, since I am not comfortable towing 12000 lbs in bad road conditions, and would rather wait until it is safe to travel. Just my $.02.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:18 AM

I had a standard type brake controller for years. I installed a Prodigy and could not believe the difference it made in braking. The Prodigy is a great controller. The electronics in the Prodigy seem to know what they are doing and you have three levels to choose from according to the weight of your trailer.<br> I have no experience with the Jordon. Everybody who uses one sure seems to like the Jordon.<br> FWIW Randy
Old 03-21-2003, 09:40 AM

Randy, I see you live in Midlothian. Email me at randerson@carreker.com and I'll give you my phone number if you want to get together sometime. I go through Midlothian everytime I go to the RV place in Cleburne. We're only about 15 miles from each other.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:02 AM

All feedback that I have read would indicate that they are both good units.<br>I have had many different brands in my trucks. Have not tried the Jordan.<br>I'm happy with my Prodigy after nearly 1 year.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Randy,<br>Both controllers are excellent. I had a Prodigy and it was a good controller. It did get me in trouble on a couple of occassions due to its operating characteristics. It can also get squirrley in mountains and when using the EBrake. It will overcompensate when using the EBrake. <br><br>The Jordan is mechanically connected to your pedal, and the new bracket works great on adjustable pedals. The trailer does exactly what you tell it to do with your brake pedal. The wire is quite strong and I have never had any problems with it. You don't even know it is on your pedal it pulls so easily. Jordan does require a few more minutes to install, mainly install a bracket on the brake control arm. <br><br>I have used both - - much prefer the Jordan. I think most people who have used both prefer the Jordan - - so far I have only heard of one person who went back to their Prodigy after trying a Jordan. There is no argument the Prodigy is a huge improvement over most other controllers - - other than the Jordan.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:33 PM

I just got a Jordan not even a week ago yet, but wow!! I almost couldn't tell the trailer was there. I like that it brakes the trailer according to how you step on the brake. I've never towed with a brake controller before, but with less than a week on my Jordan, I love it. I also like how the display shows the amperage being sent to the trailer brakes, and a continuity monitor. It makes troubleshooting much easier. just my .02<br><br>-SFB
Old 03-21-2003, 01:42 PM

FiverBob,<br> Where did you place the controller on your truck? Having to run a wire to the brake pedal has me curious how you install it.<br> I have not noticed anything weird while using the exhaust brake. But now that I think about it I normally don't use the truck brakes until the last moment when I finally come to a stop when I have the Ebrake on.<br> Randy
Old 03-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Randy,

I have had some unpleasant times in steep mountains with the Prodigy and that was with a gasser. If you top a crest after coming up a steep incline (we are talking 9 - 12% grades - Sierras stuff), just after you top the crest and start down, there are times the Prodigy will not give you brakes. My friend has a Ferd, Ebrake and Prodigy - - in NC mountains, we had some weird times coming down a long grade, quite steep with the ebrake on and wanting to just slow down a bit - - gentle brake. The controller monitored now much the truck was being held back and applied way too much brake. He has now driven my truck with the Jordan and has now installed a Jordan. He left this morning for NC, so I will get his response when he returns. My biggest complaint of the Prodigy was on slick roads.

I have a pic in my album (Member Photos) of my install. FiverBob's White Ghost, along about page 11 or so. Very easy install, easy to see and reach, yet out of the way. Very nice short and straight line for the wire. Take a peak. As described above, the feature on monitoring the current being drawn by the brake circuit is fantastic. You will always see if all the brakes of your trailer are working, not just 3, or 2 which can happen too often. Prodigy cannot do that for you.

Incidentally, the control wire is up high on the brake arm, completely out of the way of my size 12's. In fact, if you have the adjustable pedals, it is a collar that goes around the servo cylinder.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:38 PM

Thanks for all the replies, <br>I just went ahead and ordered the Jorden. I live in Central Ohio, most of my travels with a trailer will be between there and eastern Ohio. Hills can be fairly steep in eastern Ohio.<br><br>Duane W.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:28 PM

You will be very happy with the Jordan. I mounted mine with some Velcro and a screw through the unit mount to the existing screw hole in the kick panel (dash?) in front of the brake pedal. On the '94, the location is very convenient.<br><br>I have not explained very well, but once you have your controller, I think that you will see the location.<br>george
Old 03-26-2003, 03:42 PM

[quote author=DuaneWKKC link=board=11;threadid=12559;start=0#118704 date=1048249292]<br>I am looking at getting either a Jordan or Prodigy brake controller. I do not do a lot of towing but if I do the weights could be anywhere from 5k to 13k. <br>I like the way the Jordan is hooked with a direct link to the braking system, but not sure about the little cable that is attatched to the brake peddle. Has anyone had any problems with the wire sticking in the sheath? Appears to me that this would be the weak point. I also like the small frame on the Jordan.<br>The prodigy seems to have its advantages with no mechanical connections to break and ease of installation/removal and ability to move from truck to truck. I'm just not sure that i like the way the electronics guess at what I am doing with my brakes. Also, is the Prodigy a larger (in size) controller than the Jordan?<br>As the Jordan is about $139 and I can get the prodigy for about $125 price is NOT a consideration.<br><br>Thanks for any Feed back.<br>Duane.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Duane,<br>Just found this on RV Coach Site:<br><br>Tekonsha Prodigy or Jordan 2020 Ultima Brake Controller<br>Home<br>Classified Ads<br>Miscellaneous<br> <br>Tekonsha Prodigy or Jordan 2020 Ultima Brake Controller <br>Location: Daleville, AL <br>Price: $119 <br><br>The Tekonsha Prodigy and the Jordan 2020 Ultima are both top of the line brake controllers. I have them for $119 each. The only thing I ask is for postage to your zip code from 36322, no handling or other charges. Same or next day shipping. They are BRAND NEW in the box and come with full manufacturer warranty. <br><br>Sounds Good To Me ;D<br>Grampaw<br><br><br> <br><br> <br> <br> <br><br>
Old 04-01-2003, 08:48 AM

Just my typical luck there Grampaw.. I just got my $139 controller in the mail :'( , Seams like I always find the good deals after I buy. I had found the deals on the Tekonsha but had missed the ones on the Jorden... [undecided] . Oh well, got what I wanted and now just have to get it installed. With a boy in baseball and a girl in softball time is a premium, maybe it'll rain and I can pull it into the garage this week.<br><br>Thanks for the info Grampaw.<br><br>Duane W.

Quick Reply: Which Brake Controller?