Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Brake control mounting location on a 2001.5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake control mounting location on a 2001.5?

Hey everyone, good evening. I was just wiring my brake control on my 01.5 ram and was examining good mounting locations. I'd like to avoid any locations that will show the holes if I romove the controller and want it to keep clear of foot pedals. The controller is a Teshonka Voyager and the truck is a 6 speed (3 pedals below). I was going to go under the faux ash tray storage door, but it looks like I'll block the diagnostic port. Any suggestions or pictures anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help, Matt
Old 07-03-2005, 11:42 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I put mine under the left side of the dash, to the left of the hood release. This way I was able to use a stock knee panel mounting screw to hold it in place, and avoid drilling unnecessary holes in the interior. Mine is also the voyager model, so it should work for you. It is clear of the hood release, and the brake release, and I have yet to kick it with my little tiny size 13 work boots.

Happy Hauling, Sublime Stopping.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:45 AM

Thanks Pind, I didn't think of using the stock screw locations for that panel. That sounds like a very good idea. I'll check it out.

Thanks, Matt
Old 07-05-2005, 03:01 PM

Ok, Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the result. I used the far right stock screw in the knee panel and then drilled the metal framing in between the knee panel and the next panel to the right and through bolted the other fastener location there. It still leaves the diagnostic port accessible and my size 11.5's don't interfere with it. Also, there are no visible holes drilled into the panels. Thanks for the suggestions. Here is a picture:

Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Lest we forget

Brake controler

Hi Tiger. I mounted mine the first time the same place you got yours. Brake controler didn't always work and blew fuses. Reread the installing instructions and it said not to install it no closer than 12 to 14 inches to any other electronic devises. I had my C.B. on the tranny hump. Moved brake controler to the left side of steering column and everything now works fine. My one son put his controler where you got yours and his clock on his radio goes dimmer and dimmer and finally goes out, he had to move his also. Just trying to help, maybe yours will be allright. I have a Prodigy p/n 90185 waam Holland, Mich.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Funny, mine is in the same spot and I don't have any problems. My instructions also said to not have it close to any other 12v electronic devices. I run a cell phone charger (no biggie) but a 200w inverter in the second cig liter for a laptop for the kids to watch movies on long trips.

Let me get the model number of my controller. I'll reply in a few min.

I couldn't get a model but it's made by Tekshona USA. Makes me wonder how long this is going to last but so far no problems at all. There is a slight lag from brake release until the trailer brakes let go, maybe a second or so, but I hear that's a common problem. Again this was the unit the dealer recomended.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 AM

I have had mine in the same place as yours for the last 3 years and run cell phone and dvd player cords (for the kids on long trips) and have had no problems. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:17 AM

I had mine inside the ashtray opening. I only had to drill two holes in the metal ashtray holder and took the ashtray out.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the warning on the locale between the controller and other 12v devices. I'll keep and eye on it. I moved this controller from my old truck so I don't have the instructions anymore. I'll let y'all know if I have any problems.

Thanks again,
Old 07-08-2005, 02:36 AM

Tiger I had mine there when I bought the truck, but my 6'4" frame had my shins and feet hitting it when I would hit the brakes. I actually had to drill some holes in the panel above the clutch. I put it about mid way up the panel. It sits at a rather steep angle but with the center adjustment it works fine. I have yet to hit with my knees or anythng else. I know it will leave holes but if I have to take it out , some J.B weld or epoxy and some of the paint that is used for the piller mounted gauge pods and you wont know it was there.