Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Boat weight on trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boat weight on trailer

I have a question about towing a heavy boat. I have not seen load leveling hitches on boat trailers. so if I tow a large boat say in the 10-11,000 lb range then how do you figure your set up out. I have towed this set up for short distances with my old burb.The trailer is a triple axle and made for the boat. I make this tow twice a year to and from a Canadian Marina about 80 miles 1 way and flat ground back roads (no traffic) nice and easy. I will make this trip in the spring this year with my new found toy. just wondering what ya think.
I have towed my 27' boat with my CTD RAm no sweat but only about 6300 lb Tows like a dream.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:57 AM

Boat trailers are typically set up with a low 10% hitch weight, so you're looking at a hitch weight of 1000 to 1100 lbs.

That hitch weight is within the receiver weight rating on my '01 truck when using equalizing bars.

HOWEVER, most boat trailers have surge type brakes and you can not use equalizing bars. If your boat trailer has other than surge type brakes, I'd say go for the equalizing hitch.

OR you could mount a Class 5 type receiver- Reese Titan V or Torklift Superhitch that would carry the 1200 lb dead hitch weight.

The weak link is the receiver and ripping it off the truck with a heavy hitch weight.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-13-2004, 04:38 PM

I'm almost at 9000 with my boat and trailer. Tongue weight is approx 6,7, or 8% depending on gasoline package onboard. 3 axle trailer, surges. Pulls great, nice and stable ( three axles does help). At 10k, I'll assume your new toy is a widebeam fishing machine, rather than a narrow beamed, cold-blooded, blower-motored, testosterone machine. Never seen an eq hitch on a boat trailer. My brother tried it with elec brakes pulling his Cigarette in your neck of the woods. Brakes failed quickly. If its wide, be careful around rural mailboxes next to the road.

Are you asking if you should tow it? Or if we'd like to see pics of the new toy? I say post some pics AND tow that new toy of yours.

But do check the bearings and lights before you go.

BTW, are there any special paperwork issues that need to be done prior to entering Canada? (I may bring mine thru Ontario).
Old 02-13-2004, 08:18 PM

bulabula new toy is the CTD boat is old toy. the one I am speaking of is a 27' tiara. I used to tow with my suburban so I know I can tow it I'm just looking for any advise on towing as saftley as possible you are correct this is a 10' beam with twins made for big water. this boat stays in Ontario on lake Erie for the summer so tow over and back. I also tow a 25' 8.5" beam this one is Blackjack it weighs between 6200 and 6500 wet so not to bad. The new Ram makes it easy for me to run tounaments and charters on lake huron in the spring.

As far as bringing your boat into Canada it is pretty simple. I usually cross o the Ferry at Marine city with the boat. have the registration with you and if you are leaving your boat there you will need to get a form E99 (issued by customs on the canadian side) Thanks for the advise especially about bearings this is overlooked by many and causes problems. I have just loaded pics of boats in the members gallery just waiting for clearance. haven't put any of my truck in it needs a bath so I can take her pic. maybe the committee will see pics and make Blackjack(boat) rig of the month :
Old 02-14-2004, 12:58 PM

This is the 27 Tiara Linewinder it is a great fishing boat
Old 02-14-2004, 01:02 PM

BLACKJACK
Old 02-16-2004, 10:34 PM

Well I pull a little bitty boat with mine take a look at my photos and see, but mine weighs in at about 14,000 or so plus fuel and beer and the tounge weight is about 1100 or so. I have a tandem axle dual wheel setup and I pull mine all over the place. Never had a problem pulls real good even at 80 or so. I would bet you will have no problems with your setup....Good luck