Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Boat trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boat trailer question

Why are almost all boat trailers bumper pulls? Ebay has a nice 34' Scarab with a 3 axle bumper pull trailer. If the ramp angle were severe enough to make a gooseneck damage the pickup bed I'd guess you couldn't get a 34' boat down the ramp anyway....what gives?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:25 PM
DTR question asker

Well wouldn't it have something to do with how long the trailer would have to be because of how the bow of the boat usually runs up over the "main" part of the trailer, whereas on a gooseneck the boat would have to stop short because of the gooseneck hitch?

Sorry if thats completely confusing, it makes sense in my mind but its hard to put it in words .
Old 10-07-2007, 08:29 PM
BCB

i have seen several gooseneck boat trailers all of them where on large boats... but i have wondered this same thing before too...
Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM

I think the total truck/trailer would be the same length regardless of the hitch style. Axle location and tongue weight are the things that would change, wouldn't the transom be in about the same spot regardless of the trailer hitch style?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BCB
i have seen several gooseneck boat trailers all of them where on large boats... but i have wondered this same thing before too...
Not calling your bluff, but we pull our Fountain on a Myco tandem axle trailer. It is bumper pull and the boat is a 2006 38' Lighting, there is no need for anything else. I have never seen a goose or fith wheel boat trailer!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by CrashCade
Not calling your bluff, but we pull our Fountain on a Myco tandem axle trailer. It is bumper pull and the boat is a 2006 38' Lighting, there is no need for anything else. I have never seen a goose or fith wheel boat trailer!
The Fountains are great looking hulls, what would you estimate your tongue weight to be?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldmikegraham
The Fountains are great looking hulls, what would you estimate your tongue weight to be?
I just checked out Fountain/Mercury website and see they rate this years 38' dry weight at 10.5 k lbs, that is a big "boat"!

http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/bo...8LTG_specs.asp
Old 10-07-2007, 09:35 PM

I saw this a couple weeks ago. Nice gooseneck trailer.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 PM

Great pic, looks north of 40 feet!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

i have seen several gooseneck boat trailers for the go fast type of boats!

brett
Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldmikegraham
I just checked out Fountain/Mercury website and see they rate this years 38' dry weight at 10.5 k lbs, that is a big "boat"!

http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/bo...8LTG_specs.asp

We are in that same boat twin 525's with some extra fuel, and stereo equipment. All in All dry weight is around 11.5k plus trailer puts it up there. Tows great because the MYCO trailer. only Tandem axel, and it pulls awesome. The trailer is so well balanced it is great!

So not nice persons Stole the complete drives and hydralics off the back one night before our Long Beach Poker run. Plus they took the snap in carpet.... Worthless Slugs. I wouldn't mind towing them from Newport to Catalina at 92mph!....

If the drives are upgraded and reinstalled to the new IMCO's we will be in Havasu in less then two weeks for another power run!

Anyone interested in going?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 PM

It also makes for a heavier trailer if you make it into a 5er/gooseneck though it would pull a lot better.... I did see an aluminum gooseneck boat trailer with electric hydraulic brakes when I was in florida a couple years back.... dont remember the make offhand but I will see if I can find it....

This looks very similar to what I saw......

Old 10-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Banned

that stinks!!! drives are high dollar!!! did they take the gimbal rings too? what kinda drives were they??? bravos or some #6

brett
Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 AM

Meteor

Check out this 50' Wellcraft Scarab. Twin 440 HP Turbo Cat diesels. That powerplant package will bump up the dry weight!

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=75717&url=
Old 10-08-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
that stinks!!! drives are high dollar!!! did they take the gimbal rings too? what kinda drives were they??? bravos or some #6

brett
They got everything exept the trim tabs. they were only Bravo 1's, but 21k a piece. plus all the hydraulics for the steering. nothing left but a couple of holes for the male input shaft of the drive. we are putting imcos on now. then we can step the motor up to more hp since the drives will handle it. a couple of 871 blowers should wake it up!

Quick Reply: Boat trailer question