Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

black water tank chemical

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 11:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
black water tank chemical

hey guy's.
in your opinion what would you suggest for black water tank chemical? i have been using "oderlos" (spelling?) and really have no complaints but might want to try something else. maybe something that will break down the paper faster and must be formaldyhide free as a couple places we setup won't allow it. so let me know your thoughts. thanks.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We buy the bacteria producing enzymes stuff at menards for septic tanks. It's cheap and breaks down waste pretty good. The only way any product works is to add the product ahead of time and keep your tank drain closed until it needs to be dumped, that way it gives the products time to work. I don't think there is any product you can safely use that will dissolve paper, fat, waste in just a couple days.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:54 AM

TRUCK CAMPER, cup of bleach & a cup of laundry detergent( add when empty ). use single ply toilet paper.... add a few hundred miles, woosh!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
don't get me wrong. we use the rv t.p.
i was just wonderin' if there was something better than what i am currently using or should i just buy more of the same. thanks for the replies.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 AM

We use the "green" stuff and don't have any complaints with it.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 AM

Have had good luck with the orange stuff from wally world. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 05-18-2006, 03:03 PM

If you are looking for something that does NOT smell, go online and type in Happy Camper. It is a powder and you use a very small amount. It is working great for us. All of our camping is in HOT environment. If it works here, it will work anywhere.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:03 PM

I use the Geo Method: 1 cup powdered laundry detergent, 2 cups powdered water softener, and every few trips a cup of bleach. Use plenty of water when flushing the toilet, and use plenty of water when dumping the balck tank. Its cheap, works awesome, and we never have any odors from the tank.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:09 PM

All the toilet chemicals are about the same, in my opinion. The one I buy most often is EnviroChem. I've not detected any odor problems.

As someone said earlier, it's good to have lots of water in the holding tank to help dissolve the solids.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Banned

I'am interested in the laundry detergent and bleach methods. How does this break down toilet paper, food, waste? If this works I might give it a try. Is it hard on the rubber seals?

I know of using a couple cups of dawn dish soap once a month in your home waste lines to keep them clean and fat free but have never heard of using it in a RV tank. Sounds very plausable to me after I think about it.

Just looking for more info on how soap and bleach works in the RV tanks.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:33 PM

We use the Geo Method as ptgarcia described. I use a Flush King to flush the tanks.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by bluebull
I'am interested in the laundry detergent and bleach methods. How does this break down toilet paper, food, waste? If this works I might give it a try. Is it hard on the rubber seals?

I know of using a couple cups of dawn dish soap once a month in your home waste lines to keep them clean and fat free but have never heard of using it in a RV tank. Sounds very plausable to me after I think about it.

Just looking for more info on how soap and bleach works in the RV tanks.
I'm not sure the Geo Method breaks down anything or not. Even so I have never had a tank plug, and the black tank flushes (I use the coaches built in Sani-flush) super clean at the end of a trip.

Here's a link to the Geo Method. I have used exclusively for the past year. It really does work.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Bleach can break down rubber seals in time. I think the post about using enzymes is the most environmentally sound and works super. I use RidX, which is a septic tank enzyme booster. It is best used when you can keep the water in the tank for about a week or two. I treat the tank on the morning we are heading home. I empty the tank, purge it well, then add about 5 gallons of water and RidX. This will slosh the RidX up on the sides of the tank during the trip home. It then sits in the tank while the rig is not being used and aids in the natural decomposition of everything in the tank. This will clean sensors and the sides. My monitors work very well after treating in this manner. I use the same in the grey tank plus make sure I pour a little down every drain trap in the rig on that last morning.

Bob