Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

best jeep trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh my......that pic is giving me too many ideas!! .....I like it!

Thump,

Did you build that 5ver yourself?.....How does it handle? I would LOVE to ditch the slide and carhauler and have one of those!
Old 04-13-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope, I got lucky and found it for sale... owner bought the 32ft gooseneck flat deck and had PlayMor build an RV on the front of it. He had a 16ft enclosed trailer welded onto the back when I got it for his bikes. I removed it and use it for a shed in the back yard... decked the back for my Jeep and built some slide in ramps. It is the shiznit

Previously, I had a slide-in mounted on a my sister-inlaw's gooseneck... but it was a bit cramped for me and two women. I found this and jumped all over it. Everyone asks me who/when/where/what when they see it. I'm thinking about making up a pamplet to handout "History of this setup" so I don't have to explain it everywhere I go. It hauls the Jeep well... or several ATVs for a grand time in the great outdoors!

my build up link on another forum
Old 05-29-2005, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked for about a year before finding a car trailer to fit my needs. Strong, light, low, short. It's a 14' AROS, tandem 3500 lb. axles, brakes on one, rather low with rear side load ramp storage. The whole thing weighs 1185 lbs. It tows like a dream and my CJ8 just fits in 14', winch to tailgate (no spare hanging on the end). My track is 78" wide on the rr axle of the Jeep, and that's the width of the bed. It's a rock crawler so I don't need no stinkin' ramps. But I didn't want to break the back of the thing so I bought two 4K lb swing away jacks (from Harbor Freight) and welded the bungs on each side of the rear. I crank them down and drive up and on in lo/lo, lockers on. This has worked out fine as the ramps are about 75 lbs. ea. and a pain to use. Just as well to leave them home. I looked for a 12' version of this but it was not to be. My view is Jeepers haul a lot more (weight) in trailer than they really need. I towed a Uhaul 12' that weighed 2K lbs. to Moab and back. You could tell there was a lot of weight back there. Now it's a lot more transparent as a load. With the Dodge, Lance, and Jeep on trailer, I'm rolling about 16,000 lbs.
regards, as always, jefe