Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

best jeep trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best jeep trailer?

Hey guys, I'm very new to this site and am very new to my 05 CTD but am loving every second of it. Anyways I've got an old YJ Wrangler I use for wheeling and might acquire a CJ-7 so I was wondering what would be the best trailer to buy for towing around a jeep that weighs almost 4,000 lbs? I don't want or need a 5th wheel or anything like that just a decent trailer that would work with my factory Class IV hitch. So let me know what ya'll think would work best. I've looked around and honestly don't know what brands are the best or what I should be looking for. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:25 AM

I'm using a Big Tex 60CH trailer with a 14' bed. It's the perfect size for a SWB Jeep - even with my TJ on there I had enough room for three 7-gallon water jugs, an icechest, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

I would, however, like to have heavier duty axles or at least better tires. The tires it came with are barely rated high enough for the 6000 pound weight rating. Brakes on both axles would be nice, too.

EDIT: You may want to have your Jeep weighed...they are heavier than you might think. I haven't hit the scales with mine yet, but a friend's similarly built TJ is about 4500 pounds.

Name:  BigLake8-2004006.jpg
Views: 6564
Size:  79.1 KB
Old 04-05-2005, 12:29 PM

Boy, there are a ton of reputable trailer mfg's out there so this is really a personal choice call. Each one builds things a little different and have various options. As stated before, look for usable bed length/width, weight capacity, brakes, and quality tires. It's tough to find a mfg that uses good quality tires, so you may be stuck upgrading those right away? Some even use P-series tires to save a few bucks Most will agree that ST or LT tires are the way to go on trailers. I've got a 14' deck flatbed that I use to haul my bevy of Jeeps, and there are times I wish it was a tad longer, so if you're in doubt, go longer!! Good luck!!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: best jeep trailer?

Originally posted by CTDjeeperman
Hey guys, I'm very new to this site and am very new to my 05 CTD but am loving every second of it. Anyways I've got an old YJ Wrangler I use for wheeling and might acquire a CJ-7 so I was wondering what would be the best trailer to buy for towing around a jeep that weighs almost 4,000 lbs? I don't want or need a 5th wheel or anything like that just a decent trailer that would work with my factory Class IV hitch. So let me know what ya'll think would work best. I've looked around and honestly don't know what brands are the best or what I should be looking for. Thanks!
Any 14 - 18' 7000 lb GTW tandem car hauler will do the job well - just make sure the deck is wide enough to fit the Jeep.....most Jeeps with large tires will need a 80" wide deck.....As Dan mentioned, get the Jeep weighed - you may be surprised at how much it weighs!.....It is very difficult to get a CJ or YJ under 4000 lbs.....My CJ7 weighs 4900 lbs and is stripped with only the essentials and this is with a light tube frame and a fibreglass body.......most of the additional weight is coming from the 1 ton driveline.......A typical 7000 lb tandem car hauler will weigh between 1700 - 2000 lbs empty....Your factory class 4 receiver will work fine but make sure you select a draw bar that has a 1 1/4" hole for accepting a 1 1/4" ball shank.....the 1" shank ***** and the draw bars that fit them are typically only rated for 5000 - 6000 lbs where as the larger ones are rated between 8000 - 9000 lbs......I use a 16' car hauler with a 82" wide deck that just barely fits the Jeep......with tools, parts and other camping junk in addition to CJ, the trailer has weighed 7400 lbs and it handled fine even though it was technically slightly over-weight.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:06 PM

Ive got a big tex.. Not sure on the model, because its about 15 years old, and its undergoing a complete restoration and rebuild. Its 20' long with rails on the sides, and two 3500 lb axles and electric brakes on both axles. Will do awesome once its done.
Scott
Old 04-05-2005, 09:21 PM

Re: best jeep trailer?

Originally posted by CTDjeeperman
I've had a few trailers, had 16' with dove tail and pull out ramps, dovetail dragged everywhere I went, ramps rattled to beat hell.
I really like my H&H Speed Loader with tilt deck!!!! No dove tail to drag, no ramps to rattle or break your back moving around!! They can be ordered economy model with hand pump or top of the line electric with LED's and aluminum trim etc.......www.hhtrailer.com
Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 PM

I' ve used a 20' Cronkite Bobcat trailer that was rated for 14000 (had pintle option) for that purpose..... tows really well and feels very stable when loaded. Doesnt weigh enough to cause a 2500 any trouble when loaded, but still heavy enough to behave while empty. Cronkites are a bit pricey but excellent commerical quality.

*** Fill in your signature so we can all see what your truck is.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:18 PM

I will be buying a new trailer this summer and have found a few things while looking, a lot of the cheaper trailers are made with angle crossmembers instead of C-channel crossmembers as well as the crossmembers being further apart on the cheaper trailers, just something to consider.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:57 PM

I recently ordered a 30' PJ lowboy GN to tow my Landcruisers, as stated before, go bigger if in doubt. PJ and Terrys trailers powdercoat their products, are available with HD brake axles, LED lights and as many D-rings as you want, if you order your trailer as apposed to buy from the lot. Try a few of these web sites:
www.terrystrailers.com
www.pj-trailers.com
www.trailersforless.com
www.diamondctrailers.com
Old 04-09-2005, 11:15 AM

If you can get a gooseneck, do it. Goosenecks are awesome for towing, and a Jeep having high clearance will have no problem getting on a deckover. That being said a regular 1 car tag trailer is alot cheaper.

I bought a Kaufman but would suggest something else. I've heard good things
about BigTex. It depends a lot where you live what is available to you.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:50 AM

On something with a high center of Gravity, I like to keep my hauler as low as possible for both stability and for wind resistance.

I pull my FJ with a 16' tag, no dovetail, 3500lb axles, brakes on both.

I strap from the trailer to the axles, and then use 2 smaller straps from the trailer to the cage to help control body roll. Many pro transporters have disagreed with me on this, but they don't haul vehicles with 15" of shock travel, either. My method works best for keeping the load secure and for keeping it from swaying.

Be SURE to get the 82" wide deck..
Old 04-12-2005, 12:06 PM

I went with a 8.5x20 haulmark enclosed car hauler. The only problem is that my TJ barely fits through the door with a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift that's sagged over the years and 33's. When I get new springs and go to 35's, I'll have to let all the air out of my tires to get it in. I'm going to sell it (I got a deal anyways) and get one with a higher ceiling (7' instead of 6'6"). I love being able to use the trailer as an RV when I'm not pulling the Jeep. In fact, I think I've camped in it more than I've towed the Jeep with it. Also, it's nice to be able to lock the door and not worry about someone stealing your gas cans, generator, and other stuff. I even have a mini-fridge and microwave in mine. I paid $3200 for a used one, about $1000-$1500 more than the flatbeds I was looking at, but well worth it to me!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like you scored a sweet deal on the trailer...
Old 04-12-2005, 09:58 PM

thanks for all the help so far, any ideas on some good places to look for used trailers? I live in Colorado Springs most of the year but will probably be buying the trailer near Charlotte, NC. I'm glad my Jeep won't have to limp home after a hard day on the trail.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:59 PM

basically.... a good 18ft carhauler is the way to go. That is the most common size and easy to sell in a pinch if needed. It will serve you well and give you plenty of room for future upgrades if you ever get bigger. Plus, you've got some room to tie down a spare tire or two, room to balance the rig for the best tonque weight etc. Wood decks are cheaper and will last several years before needing replacing. Steel decks are more dureable... but will burn your buns on a hot summer day... (think laying down, putting axle straps or tie down chains on your jeep) Just some thoughts from the trailers I've had in the past.

Quick Reply: best jeep trailer?