Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Bending axels ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bending axels ?

My 5er axels has a slight bend in the middle, with the bend upward. I would think that the bend would be like a "U' not an"n". I know I'm overweight. Is that what happens when your overweight with the bend going upwards?
Old 08-26-2003, 04:08 PM

Re:Bending axels ?

Most, if not all, camper axles have a "bend" in them. I am not sure if I understand the "U" versus "n" thing, but if you are looking at your axles from either the front or back of your camper, the middle of the axle should be the highest point, with the ends (by the wheels) being the lowest. This is to give the axles strength. They should be arched like a bridge. If yours are lower in the middle than on the ends, that is when you have problems. :'(
Old 08-26-2003, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be contradictory but the bend in your trailer axles is to give them camber as to have correct wheel tracking under load. As the load weight increases on the spindles which are outside the spring it will push the center down, without the bend under load the wheels would be narrower at the top than bottom. This of course would cause inside tire wear like many small axles are prone to. That is also why it is important to keep the trailer level when towing as well as the spring eyes otherwise it creates tow-in/out on your trailer and it will cause excessive tire wear and pull harder.
PK
Old 08-27-2003, 06:00 AM
Administrator

PK hit it right. Both of my trailers and others I have had have the bend for that reason.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:04 AM

[quote author=Dieseldude4x4 link=board=11;threadid=18877;start=0#msg177193 date=1061982012]
PK hit it right. Both of my trailers and others I have had have the bend for that reason.
[/quote]

Yep exactly, it has nothing to do with the strength of the axle, Just the wheel alignment. Just like the front of you vehicle you want the wheel tipped in on the bottom and their is also a slight tow in on the wheels also. I have build trailers and the axles come bent, you rotate them to get the correct alignment.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:51 AM

Sorry for the incorrect info regarding axle strength. I was told years ago that the bent axle was to give it strength by a tech at the RV dealership that I deal with and I assumed he knew what he was talking about. Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:02 AM

Jayco I believe offers shackles with multi holes for raising their trailers, using this system of only lifting one end of the springs at opposite ends causes opposing toe ins and causes extra tire wear and drag. If the trailer frame is square measuring from the center of the kingpin/ball coupler to the machined center of the lead axle on both sides should be the same as the measurement from the center of the lead to the rear center on each side. The spring pad on the axle should be parallell to the frame or slightly tilted rearward for minimal toe-in. I prefer 0 toe-in on the trailer for reduced drag when towing, highway trailers have 0 toe-in or camber but are heavy enough for 0 axle flex. Axle position on the trailer is by far the most important thing for good pulling trailers. Load positioning is second and hitch postion in the truck is directly related to drivability. If encountering trailer behavior problems look for these things and look from the back to see if both axles are "bent" the same in the middle, bends not similar or not in the middle are indications of abuse, changed parts, and axle damage. This concludes trailer axle 101 hope it makes some sense. PK

Trending Topics

Old 08-30-2003, 12:24 PM

Thanks to all you "brains" out there for clearing up my bending axels. I thought I had to buy 3 higher strength axels. Now, I know, everything is fine and the axels are doing what they are designed to do. You guys are very much appreciated by me.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:38 PM

Just today I was underneath my 5er and noticed the "bent" axles. I thought. "Oh, no! Now what?" ??? Again, this site proves invaluable...thanks for the info...as always! ;D