Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

B&W hitch on a shortbed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&W hitch on a shortbed?

i've been shopping around for a gooseneck trailer and decided im gonna go ahead and buy the hitch so when i find a deal i can jump on it. im looking for something that is removeable, and have found several that look decent but everyone and their dog has recommended the B&W. however, in searching the forums i found 1 person that said its no good on a short bed becasue it places the ball too far ahead of the rear axle.

my concern is....not only do i have a shortbed, but i have a toolbox and a headache rack (which pushes the box even farther back.

the trailers im looking at will just be flatbed goosenecks, so im not worried about cab interference, but i just wanna make sure before i drop $350 bucks that the B&W will in fact work on a shortbed....
Old 08-02-2006, 02:18 PM

The center of the ball is 30" back from the front wall of the bed in my 05 shortbed. It's been a great hitch so far and has plenty of cab clearance for as tight a turn as I've ever wanted to make with a 20' gooseneck dump.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:04 PM

If you are going to have a lot of pin weight you want it ahead of the axle. The further behind the axle you get the closer you are to a bumper pull. IMHO
Old 08-02-2006, 05:42 PM

You can get a 4" ball extender that fits in the bed receiver. It pushes it back but the load still remains on the receiver, ahead of the axle.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is not going to be an enclosed trailer with a wide nose you will be fine. There will be more than enough clearence. I have pulled enclosed livestock trailers before that have a narow nose on them(4 foot wide at the front) and have turned them past 90 deg while doing a "U" turn in a yard with no problems. Get the B&W for sure you will love it. Oh ya, I have the B&W Turnover ball.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Homer S.
The center of the ball is 30" back from the front wall of the bed in my 05 shortbed. .
excellent, thats what i was looking for. i measured last night and it looks like there should be no problem. worst case ill have to relocate my bumper jack off of the toolbox. thanks

If it is not going to be an enclosed trailer with a wide nose you will be fine. There will be more than enough clearence. I have pulled enclosed livestock trailers before that have a narow nose on them(4 foot wide at the front) and have turned them past 90 deg while doing a "U" turn in a yard with no problems. Get the B&W for sure you will love it. Oh ya, I have the B&W Turnover ball.
awesome. thats pretty much my situation. i dont foresee any wide nosed trailers and if i DO end up getting one, i can get the offset ball. i just didnt wanna spend $350 for the hitch and then drop another $200 on an offset ball if i could just get another hitch and mount it further aft.

thanks again everyone
Old 08-04-2006, 07:49 PM

I have an 05 short bed with tool box over the rail and the B&W, the only thing you have to watch is when you are turning really tight past 90 deg. you might get the first part of the neck into the tool box. But if you watch it the 1% of the time you have to turn that tight noo problem. That's the reason I got this hitch so if I did have a problem I could get the offset but no need to yet.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:04 PM

Installed the B&W Turnover this weekend in my Quadcab Shortbed. Haven't had a chance to tow yet but it looks like there should be plenty of clearance for most situations. I am impressed by the design of the hitch and the holes were spaced properly so no frame drilling or welding was required. Overall a clean installation.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM

Towed a couple of vehicles this weekend (including the newest toy, 1948 ****** Jeep CJ2A) on a 25" gooseneck. Truck & B&W performed flawlessly. When done I turned the ball over and rolled the bedliner over it. Can't tell it is there. Looks to be a great product.