Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

B&W Companion with a Short Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&W Companion with a Short Box

I already have a B&W turnover ball and we are currently looking at getting a Fifth wheel camper. We found a couple we really like in the 30' - 32' range. The dealer will put a gooseneck hitch adaptor on the trailer but I was thinking about actually getting the Companion if it would work in a short box with the trailer. The other option would be the gooseneck extender and gooseneck hitch adaptor.

So what do you guys think is my best option? Will I have enough clearance with the Companion set up as far back as possible?

Thanks

John
Old 01-17-2006, 01:10 PM

I ran the B&W with the Companion 5th wheel on my 04 F350 and loved it, but it was a longbed. On my swb dodge I chose a hitch with a slider. Sometimes I have to use the slider in order to get into tight camp sights. As for the adapter to convert your 5thwheel camper hitch to gooseneck, check with the camper manufactuer. Sometimes these void the warranty of the camper because it puts undo stress to the camper frame. IMHO, you would be better off with a slider 5th wheel hitch.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:47 PM

Is their a slider that would allow me to keep the gooseneck ball in place? I will still probably pull goosenecks twice as much as a fifth wheel.

Thanks

John
Old 01-17-2006, 02:04 PM

I don't know if there are any that would work with the B&W. I pull goosenecks almost daily so I bought the gooseneck plate to go with my Reese hitch. Swap out from 5th Wheel to gooseneck or no hitch(smooth bed) in a matter of minutes.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The slider is definitely the optimal choice, but you will probably have a hard time finding one that will not require you to remove your B&W hitch. I was in the same boat. the B&W came with my truck when I bought it and I could not find a sliding hitch that would not require me to remove the gooseneck first.

So I went ahead and bought the B&W companion and I am very happy with it. Clearance is much better than my neighbor's slider is in the forward position. We have the same trailer and truck so the only difference is in the hitch. I can definitely turn tighter than he can without having to slide.

I have yet to come anywhere near hitting, but it is a risk. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and I can pull in, wip a full U-turn and back right into my dfiveway without getting close to the cab. This is the tightest turn I have ever made with the trailer, and we don't camp in campgrounds.

Your results may vary, so be sure before you buy, but I've been happy with mine.

Pics of truck and trailer are in my gallery.