Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

auxillary tank / transfer tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a Taylor EXP 90 tank...sending unit is slow to read on my fuel gauge I put into an SRT-10 pillar mount. I cannot get more then 70 gallons in the tank as its a regulation that they cannot fill to full capacity. I think its 15% must be empty for expansion but theres a plug on the passenger side top of the tank that is going to get a 2" filler cap so I can get more fuel in.
This tank will fit shortbed trucks too. I run the fuel through a 10 micron filter, then the Carter transfer pump and then into the factory tank. I am looking at a spare tire tank for a bit more fuel as well. Then I will need the 3 way valve.

The Taylor is DOT approved for Diesel only.

Its sure nice having the extra fuel capacity especially since I like to get as much as I can where its cheaper...Indiana for me.

Scotty
Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
Floyd,
What is the problem with leaving your setup. I have mine gravity fed and I fill up and can leave it turned on with no problem. I normally don't, but I can.

I have a write up in Tech Facts on installing an RDS system gravity fed. Since writing that, RDS developed an installation kit that is even easier to use than how I did mine. Love the setup. No wires, no electric valves, no additional plumbing other than one simple line into the filler pipe. Nothing to break and leave you stranded as I have been using pumped or electric valved systems.

Bob
Bob:

I have read the write, which is , that is very similar how I did mine. Basically I bought a "T" and spliced into the overflow tube next to the filler neck. When it is filling up you can hear air venting from the truck's main tank. When it fills up it leaks diesel out of the lift pump i guess, big round plastic screw on thing on top of the tank , and continues to do so until the transfer tank is empty . I am still trying to find where it vents from to see about plugging it of maybe.

Thanks,

Jonathan
Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TJE
Thanks guys for the answers you've provided.

I guess the thing I'm asking is this. Can I buy a tranfer tank, and feed it into my main tank when I'm pulling the 5th wheel? The reason I'm asking, if there is a difference in how the tanks are made, and a transfer tank wont work, fine. I just don't want to pay the difference in price for the same tank with just a different tag, or sticker on it, if the tanks are really the same.

Thanks, Tony
Tony,
I have an in-bed 70 gal tank from Transferflow. It transfers with it's own pump regulated by the stock fuel gage. Works great. About $1200.00 installed.http://www.transferflow.com