Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Aux tank questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the RDS 60g toolbox/tank and used the fuel switch kit. I can go up to 1300 mi towing and, like others have said, use the internet to find the best prices.
RDS products are sold by Norther Tool and there are many styles and sizes at a very good price.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like Displacedtexan has a short bed, so take measurement of the fuel tank prior to buying one. I looked at RDS and couldn't find one that would fit a SB truck.

I ended up buying a 55 gallon tool/fuel tank from Handy Industries. I like this tank because the filler cap is under the lid of the tank, looks like a regular tool box and the price was not bad at all. http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/...uct=15&D=2&S=6
Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike D
I ended up buying a 55 gallon tool/fuel tank from Handy Industries. I like this tank because the filler cap is under the lid of the tank, looks like a regular tool box and the price was not bad at all.
A friend has this tank and I considered it - - until talking to him. He hates it since he is not always really careful when filling. He has put a lot of fuel into the tool box instead of the tank.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

Here's my setup for what it is worth. I can carry about 55 gallons and still have a large "chest" type toolbox. The L-type tanks are great and can hold a lot, but your not left with as much room for tools and junk. I kinda need the tools as much as more fuel. I designed the tank and had it built. At least buy an aluminum tank! Steel will rust and corrode. Trust me. I had a 110 gallon L-tank in my '99. When I took it out, it had sludge in it!

Old 11-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Chapter President

I don't see how that is possible... The filler neck is not in the tool box area.

I love mine, but I tend to look where I put the nozzle before squeezing the handle.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

I like the setup Joey, that is one of the issues with me, loosing the bed space for tools and gear... And good point about the steel rusting.

I had a shortbed, but that truck got stolen, and repladced with a 97 (long bed) I need to update my gallery.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Banned

My tank also has a plug at the bottom on the drivers side which I took 3/4 pipe and dropped it down through the bottom of the bed. It has a 1/4 ball valve on it so I can drain the tank if I ever get a whole load of bad fuel or need to flush it out. I didn't have any way of flushing the L-tank on my old truck after I found the sludge. I don't know if I bought the fuel like that or it just accumulated over time. It did have rust chips in it from the tank. Of course there is a plug screwed into the bottom of the ball valve in case it becomes opened for any reason. That would be horrible to lose a whole tank on accident! Anyway, buy AL if you can afford the extra $$s. That would be my biggest suggestion of all.

And that's JoRy with an "R"!!!! My wife's grandma calls me Joey!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Chapter President

I've had my tank for a couple of years now, when the tank is close to empty the bottom still looks sludge free. The tank is made from aluminized steel so I'm not worried about rust.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by OHFarmboy
Yep fresh spring grass and the Shell truck stop in Winchester Ky do not go well together at all. I had a run in with an angry manager when I stopped in there for fuel heading fom Mt. Sterling Stockyards to BG Stockyards. My only problem with my transfer tank is it is always full of the red stuff and we all know that you should never run red fuel in your truck
It is worse when you are sitting to buy tires for the trailer with a full load. I felt for the guy doing all the grunt work cause one of the old cows on the trailer did the lhama effect and spit right in his face.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree - I wouldn't even consider a liquid tank that wasn't SS or aluminum.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Adam3291
It is worse when you are sitting to buy tires for the trailer with a full load. I felt for the guy doing all the grunt work cause one of the old cows on the trailer did the lhama effect and spit right in his face.
At least it wasn't from the other end...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam3291

We are in a very rural redneck kinda ignorant area.

There is at least one big load of cattle at our tire shop every day.

These tight-wads always buy open-sided trailers--they are cheaper.

These lazy-tails also have big gaps between the trailer floor-boards--so whatever is in the trailer drops through the cracks onto the parking lot and they don't have to shovel it out.

While the trailer-load of cows is having tire work done, you have to be very watchful to avoid getting a hot shower.

Once the trailer leaves, there is cow excrement all over that has dropped through the cracks in the floor.

Someone gets to clean the mess up.

These same guys could get their tires taken care of when the trailer isn't loaded; but, that would be too considerate and cost them an extra trip.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:44 PM

I hated I had to go but tires but my boss had been trying to buy time til he had to get some. To bad the time ran out when I was hauling that full load. Our trailer is a solid side but the guy had gotten up and was messing with the cow and I guess the guy messing with her and standing on a trailer for nearly four hours at that time she just had enough.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:14 PM

Dang!

If somebody pulled up to our shop like that we'd just refuse service... but I guess ya have to be able to turn away business.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:24 AM

Hey now! Watch what youre sayin about open sided trailers and ignorance/cheapskates. I have one because when I'm sitting in line at Bluegrass Stockyards for 4 hrs in the blazing sun a close sided trailer would kinda be like an oven! Also when it's hot out and you have got 13 cows crammed onto a 24' trailer goin down the road they need all the air they can get. Now I would say I would be more considerate than some, but if I had to I would get tires with a load. It is there right to refuse service!

Just my $.02

Tom

Quick Reply: Aux tank questions