Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Aux tank questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove an F350 6 liter all summer , and most of the driving i was hauling a 2000lb trailer with a 36' honeybee header (8000lbs) on it, add in the length of the tongue , and crew cab long box truck , and the crippled turning radius of the ford trucks , and it was HARD getting into alot of fuel stops , even the ones made for big trucks could be tricky, and aux tank would have been a dream on that.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:07 AM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
Originally Posted by charliez
I can't see anyone needing a tank this size or an addition tank at all, if it's not used for filling fuel for off road equipment (dozers, etc)

110 gallons X 7.1 lbs per gallon is alot to carry around all the time. 781 pounds. How much will it cost to drag that around all the time? 10 years or so ago you would have had issues finding fuel, but it's on every corner at the quicky mart or 15 miles away in the next town. Sure, you might pay a dime more for it, but you'll spend way more than that hauling it around.
That's just your opinion. Some people don't like to fuel up very often. To answer your question, it will cost next to nothing to haul that around. Actually, it has been proven that a little weight and/or high rpm's costs nothing. SPEED COSTS!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:55 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I got 92 gallon total capacity between three tanks, all controlled by a manual selector valve.

Two weekends ago, I was no where near full of fuel, I made a 250 mile round trip with a trailer-load of cattle, then the next day, myself and another truck went back to the same place and got two more loads.

Before we got to the pick-up point, he had to fuel, and before we got back to the house, he had to fuel again.

I have ran around all over, for the last two weeks, and I probably have enough fuel left to fetch another load.

After being in 41 states, pulling a trailer, the more fuel I can carry, the better.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:01 PM

AMEN! You said it. The more fuel the merrier. Especially when hauling cattle!
Old 11-23-2006, 11:14 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Nothing makes a lot attendant happier than a big load of livestock sitting at the pumps.

Especially fresh off the grass, runny-ended, old cows with digestive problems.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:21 PM

Yep fresh spring grass and the Shell truck stop in Winchester Ky do not go well together at all. I had a run in with an angry manager when I stopped in there for fuel heading fom Mt. Sterling Stockyards to BG Stockyards. My only problem with my transfer tank is it is always full of the red stuff and we all know that you should never run red fuel in your truck
Old 11-24-2006, 03:50 AM

100 Gal semi tank in the bed. Pics in gallery. Only used on roadtrips. One for choosing when I can refuel and not getting stuck paying a really high rate, and then finding normal prices down the road because I didnt have enough to make it. Driving from OR to FL I fill both tanks up once in the middle, as long as I start basically with at least 100 gals on board. I have a total cap of 130gals.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:26 PM

does anybody have an under the bed aux tank? i love and have to have my bed space. 8' is almost not enough. lol... i pack alot of stuff in the truck for work and hunting trips. an aux tank in the bed of the truck would be aweful for me.

this past summer i drove to alaska. on the alcan i paid $1.39 a litre. might have been haines junction. pretty pricey fuel. really i dont need an aux tank but as displaced texan sayes it would be a convenience.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since my exhaust ends directly behind the cab, I have a nice big empty place for an underbed tank, but mine is for water/meth
Old 11-25-2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by OUTDOORSMAN
does anybody have an under the bed aux tank? i love and have to have my bed space. 8' is almost not enough. lol... i pack alot of stuff in the truck for work and hunting trips. an aux tank in the bed of the truck would be aweful for me.

this past summer i drove to alaska. on the alcan i paid $1.39 a litre. might have been haines junction. pretty pricey fuel. really i dont need an aux tank but as displaced texan sayes it would be a convenience.
Not exactly an aux tank but TransferFlow makes a 56 Gal replacement underbed tank: http://www.transferflow.com/Dodge_mi...uel_tanks.html

I've also heard of guys using those portable boat tanks in the bed and only using them when needed, though that would still limit your bed space when you use them.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 PM

thanks for the link. 2 problems though
1. (54 gallon fuel tank hangs down 3 1/2 inches below the lowest part of frame rail )

2. $1051.00

wow.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by OUTDOORSMAN
thanks for the link. 2 problems though
1. (54 gallon fuel tank hangs down 3 1/2 inches below the lowest part of frame rail )

2. $1051.00

wow.
I think anytime one adds significant capacity outside the bed one has to give up something (that extra capacity has to come from somewhere). In some cases you have to ditch the spare tire and go with a aux tank that fits where the spare was (http://www.nwmp.com). Just as an FYI, my OEM tank hangs about 1.5" below the frame rails. Another 2" lower would put it just about level with my transfer case factory skid plate that is already about 3.5" below the frame rails...still good ground clearance remaining on a 4x4. Plus remember you are replacing a plastic tank with a steel one.

Yep, TransferFlow has some spendy solutions although they are top-quality products in my opinion. My TF toolbox w/30Gal tank cost me about $1,650 delivered. Had it about 2 years and it has been flawless. Fill it and forget it, the system knows when to make the transfer via the included fuel pump and Trax II module/digital guage and it's DOT approved! With both tanks topped off I have 65 gallons onboard and that gives me enough cruising range to find the right station to fill up at when on the road plus by then I need a bio-break anyway. However, I don't use my bed all that much other than when the goose neck trailer is hooked up...I'm fortunate to have a buddy that has a utility trailer I can use for the big stuff.

I'm sure you will find something that will work...if not, there is always the new Chassis Cab solution: 52 Gal OEM tank with an optional 22 Gal midship aux tank...74 gal factory fuel capacity and no loss of above frame or bed space, now that would be sweet!!! Of course, with the new 6.7L EPA controlled & plumbed engine who knows that the MPG will be...might need that extra fuel capacity!
Old 11-26-2006, 04:54 PM

Ive gotten the best mileage my truck has ever got when I was carrying a full 75 gallons in the bed.i dont think the extra weight hurts much at all
Old 11-26-2006, 10:54 PM

i dont need the extra fuel but it is nice to run 1300+ miles per fillup not to mention the truck rides better with some weight in the bed .....
ive got a 51 gal rds tank/toolbox grav fed.

between the tank and the stacks i did lose about 26" of bed space but the only hauling i do is with trailers so no big loss
Old 11-26-2006, 11:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
74 gallons in the chassis cab is sweet!

Quick Reply: Aux tank questions