Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Aux tank questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux tank questions

I'm not sure of the best place to ask this, but this seemed the most fitting.

I am wanting an aux tank for my truck, I THINK I want a 110 gal (or whatever sise the L-Shaped boxes are) The main reason I want it is convenience, not having to find diesel, or buy it in tiny towns for $0.20-.30 cents more when we are hunting. I don't really care if I can plumb it to the fuel system, or have to pump it in the stock tank myself, would one or the other be easier with DOT regs? At what size would I have to have placcards/labels on it?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 110 gallon tank that I picked up over the summer and have not had a chance to use yet. From what I was told and this came from someone in the trucking industry with 30 plus years of hazmat and shipping experience. In quanities less than 119 gallons diesel fuel does not need to be placarded. He told me that you could fill a 48foot trailer with 55 gal drums of diesel and would not need to placard it. I find that hard to believe but thats coming from someone who deals with movement of stuff like that everyday. As for securing and plumbing a tank thats something that I am unsure about. I believe plumbing the tank to the fuel system opens a whole other can of worms.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MoparMarv
I believe plumbing the tank to the fuel system opens a whole other can of worms.
That is realy the biggest part of my question... May just pump it into the truck tank. I rarely go more than 500 miles without the wife wanting to stop anyway.

I just talked to my dad and he said no placcards on a tank that size as well, since it is not flammable. He drove with Hazmat for 15 years, knows the regs well.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:44 PM

I use a 110 (105) L shaped tank,and your friend is right,I've hauled 44k of engine oil,and since it was in smaller containers then it was not a hazmat.
Big trucks have 1or2 150gal fuel tanks (or larger) and don't have to have a hazmat to fill up,so I'm sure that is the same for you.
The 110 gal don't have a provision to hookup to truck fuel system...could make something I guess...but since you don't care to,that will make it simple
Old 11-20-2006, 01:58 PM

I have a 2006 MegaCab 3500 with a gravity feed aux fuel tank. It works great as long as you cut the valve off when you are through filling the main tank. If the valve is left on, there is a slight drip through the overflow after the main tank gets full. But that's easier than pumping it out of the aux tank into the main tank.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:24 PM

I have heard that is you want to tie the tank into your fuel line the box has to be DOT certified. I do not know how valid that statement is but I do know it is very true when it comes to gasoline trucks. I have a 110 tank/toolbox and put a valve on the bottom with a 1 inch line and holley pump. Tanks about 20 min to fill truck. Very conveient and save. Also have a fuel filter assembly hook up with line.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
RDS has a gravity feed kit for Dodge that works great. Only takes a few minutes to install it. Check out Northern Tools for both tanks and that installation kit. RDS makes a very nice tank.

Bob

Trending Topics

Old 11-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't see anyone needing a tank this size or an addition tank at all, if it's not used for filling fuel for off road equipment (dozers, etc)

110 gallons X 7.1 lbs per gallon is alot to carry around all the time. 781 pounds. How much will it cost to drag that around all the time? 10 years or so ago you would have had issues finding fuel, but it's on every corner at the quicky mart or 15 miles away in the next town. Sure, you might pay a dime more for it, but you'll spend way more than that hauling it around.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Banned

Actually around Tulsa there are a lot of stations that don't have it. And many of the few that do are noticablly more (two are consistently $0.40 more) And a lot of them are pre-pay only, and no pay at the pump, which is a pain. And results in me buying crap since I'm in the store.

I don't NEED it, I want it for convience.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by charliez
I can't see anyone needing a tank this size or an addition tank at all, if it's not used for filling fuel for off road equipment (dozers, etc)

110 gallons X 7.1 lbs per gallon is alot to carry around all the time. 781 pounds. How much will it cost to drag that around all the time? 10 years or so ago you would have had issues finding fuel, but it's on every corner at the quicky mart or 15 miles away in the next town. Sure, you might pay a dime more for it, but you'll spend way more than that hauling it around.
Maybe you have not towed a 36' fiver in Newfoundland or Alaska - - 52' of rig trying to get into your friendly local 7-11 with no room and low overheads. 12 mpg and 52' sort of changes your perspective on how often you want to get fuel and where.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

Even a little tag can be a pain at a small station in town...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 50 gal tank. It's not tied into the trucks tank because I at least need a _ _ _ break every 300 miles. It has a filter with a clear housing so I can see the crap that's coming from the fuel. I always fill that tank then fill the trucks tank so the fuel get's double filtered. I put on the tank "ON ROAD FUEL ONLY" and have never had a cop problem.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:33 PM

I have a 110 gallon tank because:

I travel out of state and when I went to Wyoming there was times when I would not have made it from one station to another without the extra fuel;

I buy "Highway Fuel" from a bulk facility;

Last, it is just convenient not to have to be waiting to fuel up at busy truck stops and having to go in to pay first and all that bothersome stuff.

I have put an add-a-leaf to cover the weight.

If you are going to do a-lot of traveling; an aux tank is always a pleasure to have with you.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 PM

I have a 35 gal tank in the bed that fits under my retrax cover. It gravity feeds to the main tank, best investment I ever made. When a hurricane is comming I have enough fuel to run 3-4 weeks and not have to deal with the fuel lines.And on trips its great I use the net to find the cheper fuel stops and use them.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:46 PM

I have a 70 gal. in-bed tank by Transfer Flow in Chico, Ca. It automatically transfers off the OEM fuel gauge. It starts transfer between 3/8 and 1/2 then shuts off at 3/4...works good!

Quick Reply: Aux tank questions