Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Auto or not to auto?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto or not to auto?

I found a truck im looking to buy. Its a 02 with an auto. I won't really tow anything really heavy that often, maybe a dump trailer around 10k in weight a few times a year, and a 16' foot utility trailer with a tractor on it probably 9k in weight (just a guess not sure on it but its not alot). Will I be ok with this automatic or will I regret buying it? Should I just wait to find a 6spd?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my 5 speed, but if they had the aftermarket bombings for the auto when I bought my truck I would have definately done the Auto. The automatic is quicker, definately easier on the left leg and just as reliable with a few upgades. If you were just pulling heavy up and down the highway go stick, but for everything else, automatic all the way.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:36 AM

I have an '02 auto, and pull some considerable weight at times (boat hauling, utility trailering). And so far, no problems. I love the auto for driving through town. I do plan on upgrading the valve body (to reduce internal leaks) and the torque converter within the next few months as "preventative repair." just my 0.02, so take it for what its worth.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:25 PM

If you plane on towing here and there, you should stay with the auto. But if you want to hual, manual is much better
Old 02-17-2006, 07:16 PM

My two 47RE's never gave any trouble. Well the '01.5 had a governor pressure sensor short out but no hardware trouble. If you keep it stock power, the 47RE will hold up as well as any. If you up the power, it'll need to be beefed up to stay with you. I would take another '01.5 or '02 Cummins/47RE without hesitation. I regretted trading my '01.5 for my '03. The '01.5 was flawless (sept for the gov press sensor) and my '03 had the dreaded driveline vibe. We tow heavy as often as we can.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:37 AM

I pull 10,000lb 5th wheel with the auto and never had any trouble. Get yourself some gauges, run within the limits and you will be fine.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:50 PM

I would get a temp gauge. I am not sure if they come with en external tranny cooler, i think they do; if not, get one.
Heat kills auto's. I would also change fluid more often than spec.

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hannibal
I would take another '01.5 or '02 Cummins/47RE without hesitation. I regretted trading my '01.5 for my '03. The '01.5 was flawless (sept for the gov press sensor) and my '03 had the dreaded driveline vibe. We tow heavy as often as we can.

Hannibal, I was curious about why you traded your cummins in on a Hemi. Could that driveline vibe not be fixed? Even in a worst case scenario could you have not got your U-joints replaced and driveshaft balanced at a driveline shop? Was there another reason you got rid of your Cummins for the Hemi?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by supr
I would get a temp gauge. I am not sure if they come with en external tranny cooler, i think they do; if not, get one.
Heat kills auto's. I would also change fluid more often than spec.
Get a cooler,the bigger the better.Before I put the cooler in, the trans. temp. would spike the guage at 250* so I don't know how hot it realy was.Now with the same load it rarely hits 220*WIth cooler fluid the converter doesn't slip near as bad.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Hannibal, I was curious about why you traded your cummins in on a Hemi. Could that driveline vibe not be fixed? Even in a worst case scenario could you have not got your U-joints replaced and driveshaft balanced at a driveline shop? Was there another reason you got rid of your Cummins for the Hemi?
Almost two years and 44k miles of fighting with the dealership. They swapped the driveshaft with another truck that didn't vibrate but no cure. They tried a few other things too. Nothing worked. I kept thinking it's just a driveline vibe, how hard could it be to isolate and fix? I think it was in the differential. DC finally said no fix. I was looking to trade for an '05 Cummins powered Ram but I had this nagging fear that I'd get another vibrator. The Hemi powered Rams didn't have the vibe and I was curious about the smallblock with 345 horses anyhow. I figured if if it didn't live up to the hype, I'd trade it within a year for another Cummins powered Ram after a good long test drive on the interstate. Why the Hemi powered Rams didn't have the same occurance of vibratitus as the exact duplicate truck with the Cummins is beyond me. It wasn't motor. It did it with the motor off at 70-65mph. The Hemi and truck has been flawless for the almost 33k miles I've put on it. It's thirsty but it lives up to it's hype towing and empty. It's fun to drive and "to me" sounds great doing both. I like them both and will likely own another Cummins powered Ram. A Patriot Blue QC LB Thunder Road Cummins 6spd/3.73 4X2 without the optional driveline vibe sure sounds like a next truck!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hannibal
Almost two years and 44k miles of fighting with the dealership. They swapped the driveshaft with another truck that didn't vibrate but no cure. They tried a few other things too. Nothing worked. I kept thinking it's just a driveline vibe, how hard could it be to isolate and fix? I think it was in the differential. DC finally said no fix. I was looking to trade for an '05 Cummins powered Ram but I had this nagging fear that I'd get another vibrator. The Hemi powered Rams didn't have the vibe and I was curious about the smallblock with 345 horses anyhow. I figured if if it didn't live up to the hype, I'd trade it within a year for another Cummins powered Ram after a good long test drive on the interstate. Why the Hemi powered Rams didn't have the same occurance of vibratitus as the exact duplicate truck with the Cummins is beyond me. It wasn't motor. It did it with the motor off at 70-65mph. The Hemi and truck has been flawless for the almost 33k miles I've put on it. It's thirsty but it lives up to it's hype towing and empty. It's fun to drive and "to me" sounds great doing both. I like them both and will likely own another Cummins powered Ram. A Patriot Blue QC LB Thunder Road Cummins 6spd/3.73 4X2 without the optional driveline vibe sure sounds like a next truck!
Well hopefully you will have better luck with your next Cummins powered truck. I wonder if maybe the dealership you were having do the work just didn't have the tools or expertise to correct the problem correctly. I haven't had any problem with mine, and it's my first Diesel.....but I think if I did I would try a driveline shop and have them balance the driveshaft, replace the u-joints with greasable kind and just generally check it out. Even replacing the rear axle/differential would probably be cheaper than the bath of trading almost new trucks. Anyway, better luck with the next one. I just had to ask...I have been wondering that for several months when I notice you make a post.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:25 PM

Go to the 3rd gen forums and do a search on driveline vibes. There were many with the vibe and many attempts to fix. Some dealerships went all out and some shrugged their shoulders. I use my truck daily for work and couldn't afford the down time to fiddle with a drive line shop or waste time with the dealership. I've enjoyed playing and working with the Hemi and when the time comes for another truck, I'll have no regrets. I've enjoyed them all and even the '03 was flawless with the exception of the vibe...
Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 AM

Spitfire. I have an 02 and haul alot with my auto. This week two trips with over 12,500lbs grain plus trailer. Stock tranny with Edge Ez 110k miles on it. Most i ever pulled was 16,500lbs .I have the 4:10 gears which makes a difference. Keep the fluid changed and get a gauge .The temps never get hot unless in traffic. once moving over 30mph the gauge temps drop. Considered a electric fan over my trans cooler. I think all the tow package trucks come with trans cooler. VB would be nice too.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:02 PM

My 99 came with a factory cooler up in front of the radiator on the drivers side. But to help keep it cool when working hard going up a hill slow, or in heavy slow traffic, I installed a pusher fan in front of it.(it is a tight fit, but it clears the hood/grile) This way it still has air flow when driving under 30mph. I got the fan at Kragen's Auto for $19. I should have put a thermo-switch on it, but I just wired up a toggle switch that I can switch on when pulling the trailer at low speeds, or uphill.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:16 PM

Automatic. Once you understand what they need
(and its not much- cool fluid, fresh fluid) they can serve a lot of miles.

Not a perfect unit, but a good one still.

Big Jimmy

Quick Reply: Auto or not to auto?