Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Anyone put overload airbags on an '03 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone put overload airbags on an '03 yet?

I am looking for information on any overload airbag system for the '03 Ram's. If anyone has installed a set, and has any pictures, I would appreciate any/all info!! Thanks!!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:46 AM

Re:Anyone put overload airbags on an '03 yet?

Put them on and took them right back off and returned them, did like them at all.

More info here:

http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/i...8532#msg168532
Old 09-24-2003, 09:31 AM

So how did you finally make out on this ordeal? I read the other thread all the way through, and you never posted about the results of your road trip after taking the bags back off... Did they treat you right, or is this still ongoing?
Old 09-24-2003, 09:56 AM

Actually my credit just came back through a couple of days ago.

I have since done somethings to my trailer to take some bouce out of it. Have a trip planned for this week end so will see how that goes. I would still like to have the bags for a little smoother ride, but someone need a better system first.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:55 AM

Any chance you snapped any pictures of the installed system? I completely understand your write-up and the issues involved, but I would like to see it, too.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:02 PM

Sorry I didn't take any, things were a bit of a rush as I had the trialer on and the bags were bottomed out and I had to get rid of them:

Here is another thread and TDR, has one picture in their:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=82070
Old 09-24-2003, 12:54 PM

After reading all of the TDR thread, it sounds like maybe the Firestone's worked out OK? Have you heard of any other horror stories like yours from anyone else? And what did Air-Lift say to you about your complaints? I really need something like this for loading, so thanks for all the info here!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:48 PM

The Firestone mount about the same way, maybe 1" extra room then the Air Lift. If you go on Air Lift and Firestone site they both have the instructions right their that you can downlaod to see how they mount.

Air Lift basically said oh well and that is how they are. They want you to add enough air to make the truck ride the same level empty as it does loaded. Which to be it way to high in the back and I can't leave it that high in the back if I wanted to the way my trailer works. Also I go out in feilds and stuff alot so I need the axle travel.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:43 PM

Let me pick your brain for a few minutes here, if you don't mind...

The Air-Ride instructions spell out the minimum and maximum lengths of the bags: 2.8" min and 9.1" max. What you are saying is that the mounting setup provided will not allow those dimensions to be achieved? As in, you could only get the bag to compress down to maybe 4" or extend up to 8"? I will crawl under mine this evening to try and get a visual of the installation, and see what the issue may be for myself. But please explain what was limiting you from achieving these travel distances.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:55 PM

I am not sure where you got the spec from, but the 2.8" bag minimum it probably correct. But you have to know that their is also a good 1.5-2" of bracket that get added into that also.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:22 PM

OK, just went out and looked, and by the eyeball I've got roughly 9" of clearance between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the jounce bumper bracket (that is without the rubber bumper itself). If I've got 3" of low-inflation pressure airbag, and 2" of bracket, that still leaves me roughly 4" of "travel". I can see that if your truck normally sags 5-6" you would have a problem... Since I only have a 3/4 ton, and there is no seperate overload leaf, I don't think I would experience the axle wrap issue you mentioned. However, I have never been able to tow without weight on the axle (like you were with the airbags holding you off of your overloads), so I can't vouch for that... What I'm wondering is if I am able to maintain the normal ride height, thus still having that 4" of "travel", would things be cosher? I worry because right now the jounce bumper itself leaves around 6", so I would be losing 2" of travel right out of the box?? I think that was your basic problem, correct?
Old 09-24-2003, 10:56 PM

Pretty much.

Their is also the problem with the back of the truck being higher causes the trail to ride noose high. With my goosneck I can't shorten the hitch height that much with out running into clearance problems to the top of the box sides and tailgate.

As you mensioned you would have about 4" of down travel in your suspension. Well if I even let it sit only 2" lower then stock with the trailer on that only leaves 2" of travel. Well any good bump and the bags will bottom out with a bone jaring hit. Then what happens if a bag fails? You suspenions will be sitting bottomed out on the brackets with no travel at all, that really worried me.

Also you said you have 6" of travel to the bumper, plus the bumper crushes which could give you more if you needed it.

Also on the over loads I am only refering to the extra heavy bottom leaf. I also have to over load leaves on top, they don't even come into contact when the trailer is loaded sitting. but you can see that they do hit when you are traveling down the road.

Their are just too many negatives and not enough positives I think, I am not unhappy with how my truck rides and it sits level with the trail on, not the hanging low in the back that some people are seeing. So I think I will leave it as is unless something happens and it starts to get saggy in the rear.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:21 AM

Your frustration sounds well founded. Sorry to hear about your bum experience. My biggest problem is that I have the 2" leveling kit in front, so I sit perfectly level empty. Putting any load or a trailer on, and my headlights are aiming for the tree tops. :- I was hoping airbags were the answer, and maybe they are, but it doesn't sound like they have the system(s) for the GEN-III's worked out just yet. Thanks for all your input.

BTW, where did you find your system for only $400??!! When I have priced it out, it's almost $300 for the bags alone, no compressor or gauges included? ???
Old 09-25-2003, 10:38 AM

Ah I can see where the front leveling kit can really through a wrench in things, then it would look like it is dragin butt with a load on it.

Get it from Summit Racing, $382.53 with shipping and everything. That is bags and dual guage compressor.

Their part #'s are AIR-57280 & AIR-25812

Being into performance car/trucks they get alot of my money, they have good prices and fast shipping.

http://www.summitracing.com/
Old 09-25-2003, 11:23 AM

Never even thought of Summit for something like that!! Dang, thanks for the tip!!

Did you by chance look into the automatic leveling kit? It seems like that might just be ideal, from the sounds of it at least. It appears that it senses a load, i.e. squat position, and pumps up the airbags to get you back to normal height. Sounds cool, if it works. I wonder how quickly it reacts, i.e. in off-road situations I wouldn't want the airbags going crazy trying to react to my suspension cycling as I negotiate ditches and such...

Quick Reply: Anyone put overload airbags on an '03 yet?