Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

ALways double check Uhaul....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
In 1998 I called U-haul to see how much it would be to rent a truck to haul some woodworking equipment from Cal. to Mo. Guy on the phone said about $39 per day. Cool I thought! Went to get the truck a few months later and found out I had been lied to, and I walked away from U-hell. I looked in the Recycler, and bought a Ford 1-Ton with a 14 foot box on the back, 35,000 miles on a remanufactured truck engine, good 4-speed trans, bad tires for about $2,000. Got some tires on it, drove it 1,600 miles full of tools and equipment, kept it for a couple of years and sold it for what I had in it. The guy who bought it was Mexican, and paid for it with hundred-dollar bills. Luckily I insisted on depositing it into the bank before I signed the title--4 of the hundreds were counterfeit! The guy was mad that the bank kept his play-money, but he came through with some good ones and I let the Ford go. Cops never did anything about the guy either, even though the bank reported it.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
As bad as everybody thinks U-Haul is, the awful truth is that they are and probably always will be, the leader in the rental truck world because they spend as little as possible in maintenance, keep trucks in their fleet way past their prime, and the public always calls them first due to the name recognition and false advertising about pricing on the backs of their trucks. That's all I have to say about that...
That's the truth. My cousin runs the UHaul place in my hometown as part of his auto repair business. He said that you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that comes in. Apparently UHaul makes it a pain to get paid back for repairs their dealers do to vehicles, so most dealers just sign off on the equipment and send it back down the road hoping the next place will fix it.

Everytime I'm there he has some UHaul equipment on the lift in the shop being worked on that was way past due for repairs. So there are UHaul places out there trying to look out for the equipment, it's just that the bad dealers probably seriously outnumber them.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an update. Received my check yesterday for my repairs in the full amount of the damages done.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:12 PM

The one time I rented a trailer from them a long time ago I was very unhappy. She told me to go out and do a visual inspection of the trailer. So that I and U-haul were on level grounds for any damage that may occur to the trailer. I went out and looked at the trailer and went back in. The lady asked me to go back out and do a more thorough inspection. I told her "Where would you like me to start. It is so rusty I can't even tell its a U-haul." I demanded she give me another trailer that didn't look like it was going to fall apart. They don't seem to maintain their equipment at all! I have heard many stories of trucks with little or no oil in them.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Penske

I guess I get the "lucky dog" award.When we moved I went with A Penske 26 ft. box truck and a car trailer.The equipment was in good shape.The truck was ready to go when I got there and turned in with no problem. I thought the price of the insurance was a bit steep as it was almost as much as the rental but cheap insurance is great till you need it. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give them a 9.5,no complaints.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:55 PM

How did the trailer get cleap up to the tailgate if the safety chains were on,I thought they were supposed to as "slack free" as is reasonable?
Glad that U-haul is going to cover this for you man,glad nothing truely awful happened.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:23 PM

Not sure if this link is gonna work, but the dent was in such a spot where unless your safety chains were completely taut it wouldn't have mattered.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...3260747&size=l