Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Airbags: Firestone vs PacBrake vs Air Lift vs Others

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbags: Firestone vs PacBrake vs Air Lift vs Others

I'm looking at getting a set of airbags, and a compressor / tank setup for my 01 4x4 2500. I'd like to know who you guys think makes the best air bellows and mounting kit, and who makes the best air compressor and control kit. I'd like to have it set up to control it in the cab. I'd also like to be able to run train horns out of the tank. Thank you all in advance for your advice / experiences.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:33 PM

Also, I was wondering about the solid block type of helpers. I hate airbags in big trucks, but where I still have springs as a primary suspension I think I won't mind them as they are more of a helper. Basically I dont want to feel like I'm swaying on a ship pulling a heavy load.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate telling you this, but no one is going to make an off the shelf kit to do all the things you want. If you want train horns like mine (see pic) then build your kit around the horns, not the bags.

I started out with the Firestone Ride-Rites, but my dual needle gauge failed twice (once under warranty) so I wanted to fix that and I got tired of the smell of bag air in my cab. My bags were installed be the dealer since I asked for it, but its kit is nowhere close to what you need to run train horns. The Firestone kit was 1 gallon of air @ 110 psi and the small red air lines, and the compressor didn't even have a 30% duty rating. To run a set of true train horns you need at least 5 gallons of air @ 150 psi and 1/2 DOT air lines. Most of the Firestone kit, including the lines, were removed when I upgraded. This is what mine look like:

My upgrade was based solely around what I needed to run the horns; 1/2 inch lines, 5 gallon tank, constant duty compressor rated for 200 psi, 2 electric valves and a Graham White manual valve (I'll explain these later), 220 psi electronic pressure gauge, 145 - 175 psi pressure switch, 235 psi blow off valve, a power on switch, and a valve dump button. I added the AirLift Wireless AIR controller and manifold, and kept about 5 feet of air line from the bags so I could hook them up.

The AirLift kit is tankless, so I had to add an additional electric valve to act as the "compressor" between the tank and manifold because the manifold won't stop air from entering the bags, it just keeps it from escaping. This can be dangerous since without that valve the bags would overfill and explode. The nice part about this setup is each bag is controlled separately, so air from a bag on one side won't enter the other when you get a lop-sided load or enter a corner/curve. The second electric valve is used with the dump button to drain the tank of condensation. No need to climb under it and get dirty, just press a button and you're done. The manual valve is used for the horns and offers way more control than what a third electric valve would have. Cost was about $20 more over the electric, but I'm paying for the amount of control; if I want to get someone's attention I can give them a little blast, or if someone really screws up I can give them a full blast.

This is my tank, electric valve for dumping condensation (bottom of tank), electronic pressure gauge (left side of tank), and the frame mounted compressor in the distance:

Parts list

I'll list everything I have, part numbers if available, and where I got it.

HornBlasters.com
5 gallon air tank
Air Zenith OB2 compressor
Air Zenith 220 psi electronic gauge
2 electric valves, 1/2 inch
Graham White manual valve
145 -175 psi pressure switch (tells the compressor when to turn on/off)
2 ten foot pieces of 1/2 DOT air line
Hardware kit (includes most of the brass fittings you'll need to complete the install)

AirLift
Wireless AIR controller and manifold, part numbers 73001 and 73003 respectively.

It cost me around $212 for these two parts, and I know Jeg's and Summit Racing want more for these parts than the entire Wireless AIR kit (part number 72000). I called around to find a local AirLift dealer and it did save me some money, but if you don't have the bags already you could just get the Wireless AIR kit and use the included compressor for something else.

Kris
Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 AM

I had the Timbrens on my truck for a few years, they helped when the 5ver was loaded but my problem with them was when the truck was not loaded, when I filled my 65 gal aux tank in the bed, I was only a 1/4" to 1/2" off of them so when you went down the road I was bumping them constantly. I decided to try a airbagit kit, they recommend removing some leafs and allow the larger bags to do the work, I removed top overloads and bottom FLAT leaf. I also went with the AirLift Wireless controller, installed a 4.5 gallon heavy tank I had laying around and a DC7500 constant duty compressor with a 100/135 pressure switch (I have no horns) but the 5ver tires take 125. All of mine is still a work in progress, it is almost complete.
Attached Thumbnails Airbags: Firestone vs PacBrake vs Air Lift vs Others-airtank5f.jpg   Airbags: Firestone vs PacBrake vs Air Lift vs Others-compressor1.jpg   Airbags: Firestone vs PacBrake vs Air Lift vs Others-bags7f.jpg   Airbags: Firestone vs PacBrake vs Air Lift vs Others-bags2f.jpg  

Last edited by Nascarcamper; 02-28-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: more data
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Sounds like I'll be pieceing together my kit, I knew the horns would be a deal on my own. I just was not sure how many gallon of a tank I would need or what PSI I needed to run them. It seems like Air Lift is a pretty good outfit so here's what I'm thinkin

380c or 480c Electric Air Compressor Both are 200psi
145-175 psi pressure switch
I'd probably pull a 5 or more gallon air tank off a semi
The single needle 200psi guage with one paddle switch
Load Lifter 5000 mounting kit and air bag setup
All air line and other accessories I'll probably just get from Napa, KW, or Peterbilt
I'll probably wait to get the train horns and top of cab horns till later and probably pull as much as I can get off a salvage yard big truck.

You guys see any flaw in my plan other than that this is getting pretty EXPENSIVE?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
i have the firestone 5000 lb bags and got a air pump from a jy from a lincon town car .
i would then get a small psi regulator for running the air to the air bags from the tank and set air psi to whatever you want , regulator could be in cab if desired .
i only have about 20 lbs in mine for towing 6600 lbs or empty ir still rides fine .

put 1 way check valve in each airbag line to prevent air from going from side to side and stoping swaying !

this is much less expensive!! works excelent !
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM

I have the pacbrake airbags. Also bought the pacbrake air horns. The compressor and tank give me enough to give 3-4 good blasts on the air horn. Gets the attention of those morons texting while merging when I'm towing the 5er.http://www.ocdiesel.com/PacBrake-Air-Horn-Kit-p/pac%20hp10073.htm
Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 307Kenworth
380c or 480c Electric Air Compressor Both are 200psi
145-175 psi pressure switch
I'd probably pull a 5 or more gallon air tank off a semi
The single needle 200psi guage with one paddle switch
Load Lifter 5000 mounting kit and air bag setup
All air line and other accessories I'll probably just get from Napa, KW, or Peterbilt
I'll probably wait to get the train horns and top of cab horns till later and probably pull as much as I can get off a salvage yard big truck.

You guys see any flaw in my plan other than that this is getting pretty EXPENSIVE?
Yeah it does get expensive. Between the parts I got from Air Lift via my local rep, the parts from HornBlasters, the K3LA, the bags, and some help to finish up my install .... I figure I've spent about $2000 or a bit more. The nice part was I was able to space out the costs by getting a piece here and a piece there, so it wasn't a big whopping bill.

Get the 480C, its a great compressor as is the Air Zenith OB2. Stay away from larger tanks or you'll void the warranty since its listed as 1 compressor per 5 gallons. All the compressor companies offer the same restrictions on their warranty except Oasis, but they build their compressors for volume and pressure.

Don't source a tank and parts from another vehicle, buy new. If a tank gets rusted inside or has visible damage on the exterior it becomes weak and could blow out. A 5 gallon tank is only $35 from HornBlasters .... and for that price the peace of mind is pretty cheap.

Have you considered using the "replacement parts" from Air Lift, Pac Brake, and Firestone for pricing to lower the costs? This is what I did by finding a local retailer for the Wireless AIR controller and manifold, and it saved me about 50% off ..... Jeg's and Summit want over $300 just for the manifold.

Once you get a train horn, you might want to skip out on getting anything else so don't plan on getting the cab horns.

Kris