Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Air Lift WirelessAir install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you get those tees? They look like they are good ones.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Question

Nice setup, I also bought the AirLift Wireless system, I have a stand alone compressor and tank on board, so I don't need the ultra tiny compressor that came with the system either. My question is: why do I need to put a valve or solenoid in the system if I have constant air at the wireless manifold valve? I can see why you did it because it appears you don't have a air tank, correct? Seems to me I can skip this item... any thoughts that I may have missed in my process? Anybody?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 PM

No, I have a small tank, the solenoid just takes the place of the compressor that normally comes with their system providing pressure to the manifold.

I have a link to the 140 psi solenoid at home, I'll post it later if you want?
Yah, the wireless works pretty slick alright.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nascarcamper
Nice setup, I also bought the AirLift Wireless system, I have a stand alone compressor and tank on board, so I don't need the ultra tiny compressor that came with the system either. My question is: why do I need to put a valve or solenoid in the system if I have constant air at the wireless manifold valve? I can see why you did it because it appears you don't have a air tank, correct? Seems to me I can skip this item... any thoughts that I may have missed in my process? Anybody?

I just did this over this past summer.

The reason for the solenoid is to prevent the bags from overinflation. The kit in it's unaltered form has no tank, it simply turns on the compressor when you need to air up. Since I have a tank and an onboard air system, the solenoid "acts" like the compressor in my setup and when I need air it "turns on" just like the compressor would.

Parts numbers for the kit:

The complete kit is 72000.

If I remember correctly the part numbers for wireless controller and manifold, for those that simply want to delete the in cab dual needle gauge and air lines, are 73001 and 73003.

Cost for the wireless controller and manifold was roughly $215.

Kris
Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks for all the info Fisherguy, I have the part number for the solenoid.
HMX, I wish I would have known those two part numbers before I bought the whole kit, but I will note them and save.
BUT... I still don't see the need for the solenoid unless the manifold can't handle inlet pressure 100% of the time. The way I see it is: the manifold is nothing more than TWO 2-way solenoids and they should be able to handle 130 psi at inlet at all times, after all they hold pressure when bags are inflated, then when you send a signal for inflate they open and allow more air in, when you say deflate they open and allow air out to atmosphere or dump. My manifold does not pass any pressure here in my hand on my desk with out signal, see what I mean or am I making this confusing?
When you hit deflate where does the air bleed off at? I will assume at the mainfold.

Last edited by Nascarcamper; 02-08-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added more comment
Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM

I hear what you're saying, don't have the answer to tell the truth...?

Will try to find out.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM

I read some older posts on here which said the "newer" manifold would not require the solenoid. Those were back in 2008 if I remember, the only date I can find on my kit is the 3 batteries for the remote and they are dated 2010. My manifold is rev B.1.1 but I can't tell from that, in my past job I was a tech with responsibility for a mess of pneumatic controlled lines, before that it was hydraulics, the solenoid just seems like a double safety... nice but not a necessity. May call Air Lift tomorrow but I will assume they will say it's needed, here it is and it cost this much, will that be Visa or MC sir? I know they are out there cheaper, if I do decide to use one it will be hard connected directly to the manifold via a short pipe nipple.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 PM

I was told the manifold has not been changed but it will be soon but that's what they said years ago...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 AM

Thanks for all the info Fisherguy, I have the part number for the solenoid.
HMX, I wish I would have known those two part numbers before I bought the whole kit, but I will note them and save.
BUT... I still don't see the need for the solenoid unless the manifold can't handle inlet pressure 100% of the time. The way I see it is: the manifold is nothing more than TWO 2-way solenoids and they should be able to handle 130 psi at inlet at all times, after all they hold pressure when bags are inflated, then when you send a signal for inflate they open and allow more air in, when you say deflate they open and allow air out to atmosphere or dump. My manifold does not pass any pressure here in my hand on my desk with out signal, see what I mean or am I making this confusing?
When you hit deflate where does the air bleed off at? I will assume at the mainfold.

I totally understand.

I threw a fit when I was installing mine. I found out the bags were airing up because the manifold wouldn't prevent air from entering the bags when I didn't want it to, which is why I put the solenoid in. Of course the wireless controller was telling me what was going on, and the presets kicked in and the manifold tried to let air out, which let air out of my tank, the compressor kicked in, and you see where this is going.

The solenoid fixed it but it wasn't the fix I was looking for.

Regardless, I am very happy with it and it was a good upgrade to the Firestone bags I already had on it. I will be tinkering with it some more come vacation this summer since I'm planning on replacing my K3LA with a K5LLA.

Kris
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM

I had to google that to find out what you were talking bout, you take your horns seriously!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HMX-1
I totally understand.

I threw a fit when I was installing mine. I found out the bags were airing up because the manifold wouldn't prevent air from entering the bags when I didn't want it to, which is why I put the solenoid in. Of course the wireless controller was telling me what was going on, and the presets kicked in and the manifold tried to let air out, which let air out of my tank, the compressor kicked in, and you see where this is going.

The solenoid fixed it but it wasn't the fix I was looking for.

Regardless, I am very happy with it and it was a good upgrade to the Firestone bags I already had on it. I will be tinkering with it some more come vacation this summer since I'm planning on replacing my K3LA with a K5LLA.

Kris
Thanks Kris...
That was the answer I was looking for, you tried it and it did not work, I will pick one up and install with the system when we get outta the deep freeze up here.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 PM

Thanks Kris...
That was the answer I was looking for, you tried it and it did not work, I will pick one up and install with the system when we get outta the deep freeze up here.

Shoot, no problem! That's what we're all here for, and I'm just glad I could help.

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I had to google that to find out what you were talking bout, you take your horns seriously!

HAHA! Yeah well if some jerk hadn't cut me off while I was pulling my toyhauler, then I wouldn't have gone this route.

Pics of the K3LA install are in my album, and I'm heard at a mile and a half. I'm hoping that with the K5LLA that I'll have a slightly deeper tone and keep the distance, but it's going to require more air ..... which means I'm upgrading this summer.

The missus has already informed me that the K3LA goes on her truck as soon as possible, which means I have to build up her setup, too.

Kris
Old 02-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Welcome Aaron, It is great to see the Corporate folks get involved here. So in summary the current manifold is not robust enough to handle 130 psi constantly, I'm okay with that and understand, when we hit deflate where does the air escape from, which hole(s)? Lastly... with all that being said and being I'm in MI and in the automotive industry my work takes me to Snow Rd. in Lansing often... wanna trade a brand new in a box AirLift compressor for the solenoid even up?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 PM

Thumbs up

Educate you have done, bravo Aaron! It all makes much better sense now. Next visit to Lansing I will stop and we can continue the education, I will send an e-mail. Thanks.
Regards,
Tim
Old 02-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Any chance you could throw up another pic of the bracket that holds your compressor?

Quick Reply: Air Lift WirelessAir install