Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

AIr Bags.. when do you lnow you need them

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIr Bags.. when do you Know you need them

Well we sold our Jayco 27 ft fifthwheel, Dry weight around 5k. We are upgrading to a Kz 33pl. dry weigh 10k. We only will be hauling 3 dirt bikes max. Our truck is the 04 2500 CTD 4X4 . Can't find the rear end specs but I think it will tow 13300. How do I know if I need air bags? I am looking at it today. Thanks
Old 05-19-2007, 10:18 AM

If it sits less than level, air bags will help you out. I have them and they are great... It gives you an almost infinite amount of adjustability for making the truck sit level and ride great. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade
Old 05-19-2007, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the info. My Jayco barely moved the truck. So level is the key. Thanks. Any recommendations on air bags?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:38 AM

It all depends on your budget... if you want to spend a couple hundred or a couple thousand.... you can go anywhere between air helpers or all the way to a full air ride setup... (full air ride is amazing if you are looking to spend money)
Old 05-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Stan, Good luck with the new KZ unit!! They are quality units. I pickup & deliver them from the factory in Shipshe, IN all the time.
As far as air bags, I have the Firestone set with dual controls and the air comp. Nice system with heavy duty bags. The guys that installed them do all kinds of truck customizations lift kits etc. and they said the bags were like commercial grade compared to some others. I think I paid about $700.00 for the whole kit.
I'm pretty sure you're going to need them, you won't regret the investment.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:04 PM

i have them on my mega i put them on over a yearago i pull a 9800 31' dutchman let me tell ya w/o them the truck would sag but w/ them i ride a lil above level ,my choice of course,i put fire stone ride rite kit on ,just remember when your not towing to lower the psi other wise be prepared 4 a hard ride
Old 05-20-2007, 08:37 AM

consider installing a valve that interconnects them. This makes them less stiff when unloaded.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you interconnect your air bags, when you pump them up and take a corner the air from the outside bag will flow to the inside bag. The truck will sway as badly as if no bags were present. If they are not interconnected the bag presssure will reduce swaying. I don't believe an unpressurized set of air bags is noticeable in any suspension, surely my bags are not.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, most guys use them for the leveling but they will also help eliminate the spongy loaded ride with enough pressure. Too much pressure beats the 5er. It doesn't sound like you need bags if your RV barely squashes your truck. I think the Rancho 9000s are a great complement to the bags. I can pump both of them up accordingly and make the weight feel like it disappeared all together! Craig
Old 05-20-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by C Schomer
Yes, most guys use them for the leveling but they will also help eliminate the spongy loaded ride with enough pressure. Too much pressure beats the 5er. It doesn't sound like you need bags if your RV barely squashes your truck. I think the Rancho 9000s are a great complement to the bags. I can pump both of them up accordingly and make the weight feel like it disappeared all together! Craig

Well I meant the old fiver (Jayco) did not swat the truck. The 33 ft KZ toy hauler with slide makes it swat a little more, and the extra 6k lbs was felt pulling some grades coming home. Had a crodd wind but overall not too bad. Did find out there are 2 sizes of tires on the trailer. He put on a spare that was an original tire size. So now I am off to buy 5 new e rated trailer tires on Monday. I can't stand having mis matched tires. I am filling the trailer today with stuff from the other going to fill the water and weight it. Man, looks like I am probably info performance dollars soon. Can't wait.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:34 PM

Okay loaded, except for max of 700 lbs of bike in garage of toy hauler. My bed swats 4 inches. I think with the bikes in the back of the trailer might raise up bed a little.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4" is a lot! You must be nearly bottomed out and maybe close to the load limit. I'm certainly not a weight cop (in fact I can't stand their raggin') but I'd be concerned. I'm just saying - more weight requires more precautions! It's not a crime to be at the limits but if it squats that much, bags (also better shocks) would sure make it feel and handle better even if it is still under weight limits. Beware of your truck tire situation too - rating and psi. Craig
Old 05-20-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rare1
If you interconnect your air bags, when you pump them up and take a corner the air from the outside bag will flow to the inside bag. The truck will sway as badly as if no bags were present. If they are not interconnected the bag presssure will reduce swaying. I don't believe an unpressurized set of air bags is noticeable in any suspension, surely my bags are not.
\\

a special valve, that sense lateral movement closes when any lateral G is sensed.

The added spring rate is most definately noticeable in an empty vehicle. it is a very significant amout of total spring rate when combined with the stock springs. With only 1.5" of travel, and at minimum inflation, the airbag nearly doubles the stock spring rate. Cross-connection is a great way to limit that.

If someone only wants sway control, don't get air bags-get an anti-sway bar.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by C Schomer
4" is a lot! You must be nearly bottomed out and maybe close to the load limit. I'm certainly not a weight cop (in fact I can't stand their raggin') but I'd be concerned. I'm just saying - more weight requires more precautions! It's not a crime to be at the limits but if it squats that much, bags (also better shocks) would sure make it feel and handle better even if it is still under weight limits. Beware of your truck tire situation too - rating and psi. Craig
Wow, it did not seem to be sitting too unlevel from stock. I measure it stock and it was at 56 inches to the top of the bed rail, it sits at 52 with it hitched and loaded.
Rode great for the 75 miles home thru some hills. I have seen other trucks with thier back ends really low and noticeably. I am getting airbags this week if I can get them before our 145 mile trip next weekend with 2 pass to climb. . Going to get the 3 axles weight on Monday.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Okay airbags going in on Friday morning. only rig we tow so went cheap and got the Ride Rite from Firestone, with just a tee. I only haul one rig so I have no need to change settings , just check them before towing and weekly. A slight problem is that here in California in late 2003 the HO option kept getting pushed back. We ended up with a 2004 non HO. When I searched the tow ratings, it always came back with around 13300. Well found out today 10k is max. Weighed it today and steering was @4270, Drives @5500 and trailer 9860 for a total of 19630. 2630 over without wife, kid, dog and bikes. Man I made a huge mistake. The question for today is with the Bully Dog in HO mode, I have 395 hP and 745 lbs of torque. The difference between the 2004 and 2004.5 is 3000 lbs. Is that just the engine or other factors. Thank goodness we will not be going out of the area much except next weekends 290 mile rt over the Grapevine..

Quick Reply: AIr Bags.. when do you lnow you need them