Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

'95 trailer lamp relay help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 trailer lamp relay help

Hi ya'll, trying to get the truck wired up for a brand new 35 year old Airstream. I find enough warnings about not running the clearance lights of the headlight switch, and that you should use the trailer light relay, which is present in the power dist. center, as well as a 30 amp fuse for the trailer.

Trouble is, mine doesn't have the towing package that I'm aware of; no extra harness parts at the rear, and no wires that look like they're for anything other than what DC gave it at the factory. I've looked all under the dash, pulled interior parts of, etc., no luck. The relay does have wires coming in and out on it's load contacts, as wellas a control wire that I'm guessing comes from the headlight switch. So the relay's active. Come to think of it, the trailer fuse also has a wire heading out to who know's where also.

Any ideas on where I might look for these? Would sure be nice to use a relay that's aleady in place instead of adding one. The trailer power I will run seperate with heavier stuff than seems to be provided, and have all the parts for that. Been driving me crazy all afternoon that I can't figure it out. Been alternately seaching on the board and running over the truck with a multimeter. Time to punt and get some help if anyone's got an idea, would like to get my Airstream all the way home.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the relay does is supply a separate circuit for the running lamps on the trailer which will save the headlamp switch in your truck. What you are looking for is the bigger black/orange wire which is the output for this 12v supply. On non equipped tow pack trucks the connector terminates right behind the drivers front tire, kind of up on the frame. You'll see it when you look and one of the connectors will have the black/orn wire. Simply cut and splice your new wire into that one and run it back to your trailer plug you are installing.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's it!!!

J Body, Thanks, that was right where it was hiding. Quick check with the VM shows it's good, so now I can finish up.

Saw your reply late this morning and have been waiting all day to get a chance to search for the bugger. I now know where all my wires need to go, just got to get them there.

Thanks a million,

Rob