Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

6 in a row

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 in a row

6 in a row

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well tonight after owning my Dodge for 8 years I finally got a chance to work it. A lady turned in our driveway and totally missed it. Turned in a 4 or 5 foot gutter with her old Mazda MPV 4x4 van. Her husband came to tow her out, ( I didn't want to break her van in 2 parts) with his Z71 Gm/Chevy. We hooked a rope on the hitch of both, I got in the van and tried to help him reverse the van while he pulled. It was raining and he pulled and spun and the tires were starting to squeal and the smoke(tire) filled the air. I was yelling to him to stop, he backed up and went ahead and nothing but spinning. I got his attention to stop.
I came and got my Dodge/cummins and hooked the same way. Telling him i would go easy I put it in gear and started ahead, I swear I hardly pushed the peddle and out came the van. I was laughing so hard to myself I almost wet my pants. O my god these trucks rock. I hate showing up someone elses truck BUT Chey vs Dodge;1 for Dodge 0 for the general. HOW MUCH POWER DO THESE TRUCKS HAVE ? I'm giddy, sorry, but omg that was fun! My son said "we need to keep a rope in the truck and do this again". Well off to change my underware, just in case..
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, these trucks can really pull. Put her in 4 low and things get really interesting. I've pulled trucks out that have high centered themselves in the snow. The one guy did not take it out of park as he was talking on his phone and it took a bit of a tug, but she came out nicely. His transmission was making some funny noises, but he popped right out.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool story, but realize that pulling that car out had likely more to do with the weight of your truck (heavier) and maybe better tires = better traction.
I've pulled out stuck/high centered vehicles with all types of trucks including little CJ-5's IF I could get enough traction.
The big factor was the 6 in a row, but for the weight it put over the front axle giving you the traction to pull.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I pulled out a few stuck pickups with my 1983 Dodge colt. I'd hook up to the front tie downs, yoke it to whatever I was pulling, and back up. Rear wheels would leap into the air, and the front would dig and pull.

After a couple of them, my friends wouldn't let me hook up any more.

Gotta admit, though, the CTD does at idle what that little goat did screaming like a banshee.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
That's what I like best about these motors, they generally make jobs look easy without redlining.

My buddy's got a Cherokee, lift and big shoes etc. but open diffs so he won't go anywhere somewhat difficult without me behind him. One time last spring he had sunk his rig so deep in a water covered rut there was water coming into the passenger side window, back left tire was out of the water.

He had a few tow straps, never expected he'd need them though! They were cheapo's, but still rated at 5k (maybe 10k?) and I was snapping them like twine just idling in reverse-Lo. I finally dug out a 30k strap I don't like getting dirty and gave it a little throttle, and yanked it out. He needed an alignment afterwards. Come to think of it he still owes me a few beers for that one!
Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
If you have traction then pulling something or someone isnt really that hard for most vehicles. Thats why truck wars where two trucks are connected with a strap to see who wins is really stupid. Its all about which one has the best traction. HP/torque has very little to do with it because most people take off in 1st gear so therefor the torque split from the transmission gear ratio's is going to allow for plenty of leverage. In saying that, the Dodge Ram Cummins is not light so having enough traction usually isnt a problem. Also, the Cummins makes massive amounts of torque (the real working action) at unbelievable low RPM's. Approximately 300 lbs right off idle. Thats more than most vehicles make total. That kinda off idle torque allows you to just let the clutch out and drag anything connected to the back end. Check out these charts if you've never seen a Cummins HP/torque chart. http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/01ISBspecs.html