Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th Wheel for Mega cab.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th Wheel for Mega cab.

Ok I need to get a 5th wheel in my 2010 Mega. I currently have a 14K Reese model in my 96 long bed but it's not a slider.
My question is can I get away with using the non slider for now? (current money crunch) Or do I really need to get a slider right away?
I have a 2001 Montana RV. The front has a pretty good taper on it and the king looks to be set quite a bit forward. I tried to take some measurements and at the front center of the trailer the king pin is about 18" back. From the corners the king pin looks to be about 7" back.

Suggestions for a slider setup, pricing and best vendors (or if someone has a good used one here) would be greatly appreciated as well.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM

You have to get a slider. Even with the slider I have to watch my corners and it will bust through the window. I would not risk it, and if you already have the rails installed a Reese slider is not that much money if you look on craigslist or ebay. Or if you don't have the rails go to a local rv shop and they have used hitches, but you will have to buy new rails. Best of luck, my set up cost me $1100 installed. I would love a auto slide hitch, and down the road I will get one. It is hard finding a place to stop and set the hitch.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:31 PM

Oh and I forgot to add that my 2010 Mega is 4WD where as my 96 was a much lower 2WD. Any issues in towing? The trailer sets perfect on the 96.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probable could use it but you would really have to watch turning, does your Montana have the new corners on the trailer or is she flat fronted, that makes a differance, the pin on my trailer is extended and the front corners on my 5th wheel are dished back, my truck is a short box and I have a 16k husky slider hitch, I have not had to use the slider yet. you will have to raise or lower the hitch to get the trailer as level as possible, good luck
Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fiftygrit
You probable could use it but you would really have to watch turning, does your Montana have the new corners on the trailer or is she flat fronted, that makes a differance, the pin on my trailer is extended and the front corners on my 5th wheel are dished back, my truck is a short box and I have a 16k husky slider hitch, I have not had to use the slider yet. you will have to raise or lower the hitch to get the trailer as level as possible, good luck
Yes it's tapered on the front and my pin is extended forward. The pin is 18" from the furthest point forward at the center of the trailer. My best measurement for the corners is about 7" forward of the pin.
My worry with the 4WD is that my trailer will not set level. The trailer sits very very close to the top of the bed on the 2wd now. can't see that I'm going to be able to lower the hitch much on the 4WD.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:42 PM

No issues with my 4wd when I went from a 2wd. I just want some airbags, I need a softer ride, the 3500 is so stiff.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:51 PM

Found a guy on Craigs list with a Super Glide 3300 for sale for $600.00 bucks. Emailed him with questions....still waiting for a response.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Super slider is a great hitch, couldnt find a used one up North here and couldnt afford the $2k for a new one, you may have to change the shackles on the trailer to lift it a bit so that it sits level on both axles, better load distribution,
Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Why not go with a gooseneck attachment thats hook to the pin hitch? I know you can get them extended out at certain lengths. This is the route I will be going when I get my fifth wheel. I will be using my 10' shortbed to pull it. I thought about changing out the B&W but I use the gooseneck more than anything.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM

I drive a 2010 Mega, 4x4 and I pull a 24' Jayco 5er with a goose neck adapter. It has the extended pin and my GN adapter has on 8" offset.

I CANNOT make 90-degree turns with it. You do have to be care careful when making turns, but i have never put myself in a position that i have to turn that tight.

I guess the point that I am trying to get at is.... If you are responsible about pulling a trailer and where you try to pull it, then you shouldn't have any problem...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 13FOX
Why not go with a gooseneck attachment thats hook to the pin hitch? I know you can get them extended out at certain lengths. This is the route I will be going when I get my fifth wheel. I will be using my 10' shortbed to pull it. I thought about changing out the B&W but I use the gooseneck more than anything.
Those adapters put a lot of stress on the pin box and will void the warranty on the majority of the manufactures.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a superglide and it is the awsome. Its the best hitch i have ever had. My only complaint about it is that you need to be relatively straight to hook and unhook. It has a great locking device as well.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 13FOX
Well I'd have to buy the adapter and install a goose neck hitch in my truck. If I do that I'd need a B&W and that's more funds out the door.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
One thing to consider about the B&W is the goose ball is 5 or 5 1/2 inches AHEAD of the center-line of the rear axle... although with the B&W companion it is possible to move the pin about an inch behind the center-line and the load is still carried at the 5 or 5/12 inch point. I have a crew sb and was concerned about clearance with my new trailer. It turns out the pin box will contact the insides of the truck box before the trailer corner will contact the cab and ride height turned out perfect with no adjustment.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM
J&L

For many years we had short bed trucks pulling 5th wheel trailers. The sliding hitch wasn't invented and in production till years later. A few had busted windows and most of us didn't. Just like a TT you have to pay attention or the trailer will contact the truck when the steering wheel is cranked.

If you can't find a manual or a auto slider at a low price use your old hitch.

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel for Mega cab.